cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this year’s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 with you all this year!

tenor

This Week’s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: “Z” and “A”

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & W’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

I thought about starting a thread @lmaster I’m trying every one I can😄

@eshoe I'd definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts once you try the Burt's Bees ( I didn't even know they had one!) and the Biossance. Did you ever find out if the Herbivore is being discontinued or just updated?

@makeitup305 Herbivore responded to my inquiry to let me know the Bakuchiol was discontinued due to sourcing issues. They didn’t say if/when it would be returning, but offered a suggestion of using Prism and another of their products. I don’t recall which one. I’m just holding out hope it will return! In the meantime I’m using my bottle verrrrry sparingly.

I will let you know how the other two compare after I’ve tried them!

@eshoe  The sheet mask sounds great! One of my most favorite masks of all time is from Secret Key!

The IL sounds promising! I've been wanting to incorporate a retinol product into my routine and this seems like a great place to start! Happy to hear it's been working for you!

Oh I didn't know that, @Shosh85! I heard so many good things about the essence from @itsfi that when I fell upon this one, I couldn't wait to try it. Two nights in a row, ha! 

@eshoe   That secret key mask sounds fantastic!  I’m glad to hear your skin is being good to you.. or you’re being extra good to your skin..?  I like that you were forced to find another brand and that it’s so much more affordable!  Complete win!  

@heartsmyface, I had no idea I had so much sun exposure while driving. Being stuck indoors (of all else) has made me so much more aware of why sunscreen is so important. Snooze, I know. I skimped by in most of my years using tan accelerator😐 

I definitely do not enjoy the scent of the IL, but it seems to be effective so I can get used to it. My husband said for the second time in our ten years that I looked ‘youthful’ tonight so I’m just gonna go with that🥳

@eshoe  oh yes!  Wear big floppy hats in the car and extra sunscreen on the window side!  Just try to do better moving forward.  If you go long enough avoiding sun exposure a lot of the damage really does reverse itself.  
sorry the scent isn’t ideal.  It’s much easier to stick with a routine if products smell good.   Again, hubby approval trumps any scent to me.  

Ha ha yes, @heartsmyface - he was actually kind of inspecting my skin, like - 'Wow! Did you just mask?' 🙂 I have also been using the CosRx Snail Mucin daily, so that might be contributing to the current state of things.

Ahhhhh I always wondered why women were wearing floppy hats outside of summer. Now I know, and am much wiser for it. That would be incredible to reverse some of the damage - I've already noticed an overall decrease in the hyper pigmentation on my cheeks with consistent vita C products. So this gives me extra hope, thanks for the encouragement 😉

@eshoe Masking twins! The first time I did prism last week I did 10 minutes, today I did 20 and so far so good. I like that with prism I can still use my other products as long as I avoid an exfoliating toner the day before and the day after. Do you find you get immediate results? I always feel like it takes 4-6 weeks for me to see if a product is working. 

I am glad to hear bakuchiol is working for you regardless of price and brand. Does it matter if you get it in serum vs moisturizer form? I’m weary of any moisturizers for my skin that aren’t in some sort of gel or jelly form, I breakout immediately. 

@lnum Wow 20 minutes, I’m impressed! I don’t feel the results besides an evident softening were much to note, except for this morning. I didn’t get to my skincare until afternoon partly because I didn’t want to mess with how it looked 😄 It could have been the Bakuchiol in tandem with it, though, will have to use it without next time.

I prefer a serum; the Herbivore was perfect. I am sometimes using a moisturizer along with a serum that includes it, as the moisturizers tend to have it midway through the ingredients list. What my little venture has shown me so far though is that my skin just responds nicely to it, so get it in there-like a vitamin.

@eshoe Thanks! I definitely noticed smoother skin this morning, and think the herbivore helps it along for sure. Until another great bakuchiol serum comes along I am still eyeing the Alpyn beauty sleeping mask along with switching to vitamin c for awhile. 

I use the Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL a few times a week, @lnum. It’s highly-scented (reminds me of lavender) and pretty lightweight. It leaves my skin with a matte-like finish, totally different from most other sleeping masks I use. The Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL actually has baku higher up on the ingredients list, but working with the consistency of that one is a little tricky.

@eshoe I think I remember you showing me the consistency of the sleeping mask which confirmed it might work for me because it is lightweight. It’s interesting it leaves you with a matte finish. I figure if I’m switching to vitamin c it’s probably fine to go lighter on the bakuchiol since I do use a sleeping mask every night. The melt moisturizer is definitely not going to agree with my skin due to its texture! 

@eshoe, that’s great that you were able to keep  Prism on for 10 without any irritation afterwards. Do you think you’ll pick up a full size? 

If you like the Secret Key Rose edition sheet mask you might like the first treatment essence - it’s quite nice.

I remembered you like the essence, @itsfi, which is why I wanted to try the sheet mask. I hoped it would give me an idea of the consistency of it. 

I’d like to give the Prism another go, as far as similarly-performing masks, it’s definitely high up on the scale;)

@eshoe  Glad your skin has been happy. Mine has been way happier since I haven’t been wearing makeup. (No point with wearing masks all the time)  when you use the Bakuchiol after prism did your face seem irritated at all? I used babyfacial a few weeks ago and then the next day I used a regular retinol and my face was not happy. It was actually angry for over a week. 

@ather hurrah for so many makeup-free days😄!

As far as the bakuchiol goes, I started out so slow because of my experience with retinol. I tried a few retinols, including the DE I received (and was ecstatic to try!) as gratis. Unfortunately, no matter how slow or careful I was with the retinol, it made my skin worse overall (texture and sensitivity). I’ve been testing variations of Bakuchiol and it has yet to irritate my skin. I use it every other night/day and sometimes everyday. It’s pretty low maintenance! Even after Prism😊

@eshoe  That’s awesome!! I will definitely try bakuchiol out. It may work better for my skin! 

It’s definitely been gentler on mine, @ather. I hope you find the same if you decide to try it!

Last night I used Sephora watermelon after-sun mask

We went to the lake yesterday for Fun Under the sun and afterwards I thought I’d try it out. It felt great on my skin and adhered well. It was slightly watermelon scented and didn’t bother me at all. It had plenty of extra serum that I used on my arms and legs.2235F4DA-0A55-4AC6-B82C-194194BBABC0.jpeg

FFD0502F-9425-444D-A3E5-6FC70674E58B.jpeg

13,912 Replies
testing