cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this year’s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 with you all this year!

tenor

This Week’s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: “Z” and “A”

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & W’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Awww 🥰 that’s so sweet of you @missjeanie! Thank you for your very kind words! 💖 I love me a good mask, and photography has always been something I’ve wanted to get into but never did, so I guess this has been my outlet for it. ☺️

@itsfi i love to use slice masks the exact same way 😊

Love that they’re a spot treatment for dryness @lmaster! 😃 

The Naruko sounds lovely, @itsfi. It's always nice to find a mask with a more subtle rose scent that isn't overpowering. 

@quspork, I’ve been impressed with the Naruko sheet masks. Rose masks always have an element of the unknown when it comes to the scent. I’m so happy the scent on this one is on the subtle end of the spectrum. 

Sunday night was another double sheet mask affair: one sheet to correct another sheet’s misdeeds. 

I = Ischia Miracle Marine Collagen Magic Gel Siren Mask. 

The misbehaver.The misbehaver.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Firms and deeply moisturizes skin; boosts radiance; improves elasticity.  

Ingredients: Witch hazel’s in the first half of the list. 😡 But so is cica, as well as the star ingredient, collagen. Red algae, panthenol, and licorice root are welcome additions, and I’m glad sodium hyaluronate is the 3rd ingredient. I’m sure “vokanic ash” is supposed to be volcanic ash; I keep forgetting to find out how absorbent it is vs. charcoal and clays. (Eh, I’m just curious.) 

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Methylpropanediol, BIS-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Onsen-Sui, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Centella Asiatica Extract, Vokanic Ash, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Water, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Ceratonia Siliqua Gum, Glucomannan, Panthenol, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, PVM/MA Copolymer, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tromethamine, Disodium EDTA, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Fragrance 

Performance: This sheet is plastic on one side and a gel on the other, and it drove me nuts. It was quite stiff and didn’t want to lay flat in some places, particularly the bridge of my nose, my chin, and wherever there were perimeter cuts. The eyeholes were just large enough that I didn’t need to cut them, but the stiff edges felt scratchy under my eyes. I did have to cut the mouth hole larger, partly because the philtrum was too wide. To help the chin stick better, I trimmed it shorter and then stuck the trimmings to my bare jaw, since this sheet was too narrow to cover much of it. 

The runny serum has a typical slightly floral soap mask scent. The mask felt moderately cooling during the 30 minute weartime. After removal, there wasn’t much serum left to massage in. I waited 10 minutes before doing my dry finger test, resulting in moderate but persistent pilling. 

Results: My skin was brighter and moderately moisturized. Can’t say it was firmer. I started to get some itching on my chin, which was from either the gel residue or sheet stiffness irritation. And there was enough constant pilling that I had to wipe my face down with a wet (not just damp) cloth, otherwise I’d still have had pilling under my moisturizer. This mask did not bring me joy. It did remind me why I generally dislike full-face gel masks. 

I decided to use a second mask, but wanted to roll the dice on another new-to-me sheet, so... I = ID Plascosmetics ID.AZ Dermastic Bright-Fit Mask. 

The attitude adjuster.The attitude adjuster.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Moisturizes, brightens, and replenishes sensitized skin. 

Ingredients: I almost didn’t use this one because it’d be the night’s second witch hazel application. But the other ingredients gave me hope: blueberry, raspberry, licorice root, green tea, tomato, white mulberry, purslane, and even pearl extract which never impresses me in skincare products but, eh, causes me no harm either. 

Spoiler

Water, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, 1,2-Hexanediol, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trehalose, Cetearyl Alcohol, Pearl Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Disodium EDTA, Allantoin, Xanthan Gum, Titanium Dioxide, Polymethylsilsesquioxane , Silica, Sodium Hyaluronate, Carbomer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, Ethyl Hexanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance 

Performance: Thin comfy microfiber sheet, dripping with a lotion serum and placed on a mesh backing for easy unfolding. No trimming required with this mask, though it didn’t cover enough of my jaw. It hugged my face and never let go. The serum had a slightly obnoxious floral scent that I couldn’t escape for the 30 minutes of wear. I’m surprised it didn’t spark a headache. The sheet had mostly dried out by the time I removed it, but there was still enough residual serum on my skin to massage in for 30 seconds. I had no pilling or tackiness. 

Results: Even brighter skin 😄 and much more moisturized this time, but not overly so. For my combo skin, it was just the right amount of moisture from a sheet mask. My face felt soft and hydrated, and my skin looked plumped up. I applied a light moisturizer (The Inkey List Vitamin B, C & E Moisturizer) and called it a night. 

If this mask wasn’t fragranced, I’d buy more sheets. It’d be a good summer moisturizing + antioxidant boosting mask, but I’m not sure I can deal with the perfume again, plus I’m not happy about the witch hazel. This is one of those masks I reeeeally wanna like enough to buy a box of but dang it, a couple of ingredients give me pause. 

@WinglessOne 

Well 1 out of 2 isn't so bad 🤷‍♀️ The ID mask sounds pretty great! - I have an "id" sheet mask, but I'm confused as to whether or not it's the same brand as the one you reviewed  🤔👇

Spoiler
E1F8CD0D-AB66-40F3-9C4B-A2FDFB722037.jpeg

@Shosh85  Yeah, that one falls under the ID Plascosmetics umbrella. They have a few different sub-brands of skincare. I don’t have this particular mask so I don’t know what the back of the sleeve says, but if you look where the brand name, location, and/or contact info usually is on the sleeve, it might hint at the parent brand. 🙂 

Now you have me curious about volcanic Ash @WinglessOne 

How strange the Ischia has such adherence issues, @WinglessOne. Usually I have the opposite issues with gel masks in that they're so clingy they can be difficult to put on, remove, and maneuver ha! At least the second mask was a better experience overall. 

@quspork  The adherence problem was the non-gel side of the sheet. Had it been a soft pliable material, the whole sheet would’ve sat much better on my face, and then I’d have fought to unpeel it. 😂 

Ack! Sorry to hear about the troubles with that Ischia mask @WinglessOne; it sounds like it could have benefited from SEPHORA COLLECTION Keep on Masking Face Mask Holder for fit and adherence.

ID.AZ is a marvelous brand for sensitive skin! ♥️ I’m a fan of their sheet masks and this brightening one sounds like it had some nice results. Too bad there are some ingredients in it that keep it from being a must have for you. Though perhaps that’s better for the wallet? Hahaha! 😆 

@itsfi  I considered using my mask holder over the gel mask, but that probably would’ve pressed some of the scratchy edges into my skin so I chose against it. 

I haven’t used many ID Plascosmetics masks, but I’ve enjoyed the ones I have—though I’m not always thrilled with the ingredients and/or fragrance. I can’t call the brand great for sensitive skin when the added fragrance level is so high. But they do make some nice masks! 

Smooshing three nights and minimal comments here. Am extra lazy for posting 💕 ☺️

2E5D590E-68BE-4AAC-AD92-4E3845E021DC.jpeg

3FC45F54-66CC-4BAA-948D-3B7416227EE9.jpeg

995784A0-64C5-46DD-A35F-0C6C2C9EFFA2.jpeg

Spoiler
Bottom was totally inspired by @missjeanie. Pixi has been good to my skin! 

Blueberry candle courtesy of @Shosh85 , who gave me my first Pixi sheet mask. A medium weight, this one was-nice plumping, will use again.

@quspork gifted me the lovely aloe Innisfree that my skin took to quite well. Fit was nice, scent-a soft, fresh non-dryer cleaner scent😂 💕 

The Avarrelle Herbal Infusion was a drenched, lightweight sheet mask that was barely-there scented in something lightly fruity. After 45 minutes, my skin was still sparked and I decided to remove. Would love to try this one again, as well as explore others form the brand. 

I'm loving your Pixi themed masking session @eshoe !  I might need to give that a shot, I've enjoyed all their products and it was a sleeper surprise for me, I never expected to love it with only picking it up at random.  

I just finished off my blueberry pie candle from @Shosh85 too!  So yummy! 

The Glow Tonic is great too, @missjeanie

I was looking for a little fruitier-scented candle than the others I’ve had going, couldn’t help but smile when I opened this one:)

I've used the glow tonic and liked it as well @eshoe .  

I cracked open that candle ASAP lol, I enjoy baking type scents and fruity tropical ones so this one was right up my ally! 

Looks like a great selection of masks, @eshoe! Pixi really does have some great products in their line up- that mud mask is one of my faves!

Love the ginseng scent on that one, @quspork! and that it doesn’t dry down so much as to make my skin hurt.

Ginseng is definitely a scent that has grown on me, @eshoe. I think the first time I used something with ginseng it was like "What ungodly dirt concoction is on my face???" since it's such an earthy scent haha. But now- love it! Bring on the ginseng!

Ha ha you made me lol when I read this, @quspork - thank you for the much needed goggles 😂

13,912 Replies
testing