Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware
|

2019 Q4 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Welcome to the final part of our 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge. Feel free to join in however often you want, on or off theme. It's just fun to share the masking adventures. Let's give some love to our winter skin.

It's almost 2020! Below is the tentative Mask of the Week Challenge schedule with everyone's suggestions. Thank you @missy415 for the reminderSmiley Happy If you have an idea, please PM me so we can look at adding it to the list. 

Spoiler

This Week’s Theme: Sample Dive - I know we have them! 

Letter of the Week: “X” 

2019 Q4 Schedule

Spoiler

WEEK     LETTER       THEME

Sep 30 - Oct 6 N          Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 

Oct 7 - 13        O           French Pharmacy Week 

Oct 14 - 20      P           Ends of the Earth - masks that use ingredients from or are made in far away places 

Oct 21 - 27      Q          Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 

Oct 28 - Nov 3 R          Duel Week V2.0 & Mask Meetup thank you @mrsmouse for suggesting the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask!

Nov 4 - 10        S          Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 

Nov 11 - 17      T          Gross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients? 

Nov 18 - 24      U          Flash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the time 

Nov 25 - Dec 1 V          Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 

Dec 2 - 8          W          Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their ways 

Dec 9 - 15        X           Sample Dive - I know we have them! 

Dec 16 - 22      Y           Holiday Party Prep Mask 

Dec 23 - 31       Z          Masks you discovered in 2019

tumblr_nd1ecxiMEr1squc7do1_500

2019 Mask of the Week Main Thread & Misc. Info:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. Feel free to post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge; they are guidelines and just something we do for fun. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcomed!

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

Masking Surveys Thread: Curious about others' masking habits? Join the fun w/ @ShortErica:

Spoiler

Spring Masks on the Move Box🌱🌷🌈: Interested in participating in a spring box? @ShortErica has a survey that will help us curate the best plan for next year for those who would like to be involved:

Spoiler

Sample Dive - I know we have them!  

Re: 2019 Q4 Mask of the Week Challenge!

@lmaster  A brilliant glow sounds wonderful! Propolis/honey is definitely one of my most favorite ingredients in masks. 😉 👍 Glad this one turned out nice, despite getting serum in the eye! 😳😃

@Shosh85 I did enjoy this one, I'll need to be more careful when I apply masks 🤦

This mask sounds wonderful @lmaster, minus the eyeholes and erstwhile serum! 😉 I’ve been pretty happy with the NeogenLab masks, including its Sur Medic line. 💗

Darn eyeholes 😆 @itsfi but the mask was great regardless!!

V is for Viva, Vancouver, Vegetable glycerin and Vitamin B5 (and Victory)

11.30.19.JPG

Spoiler

Viva Organics Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Mask is produced by a  Vancouver based natural skincare company. Among the many good-for-your-skin ingredients in this mask are Vegetable glycerin (2nd ingredient) and Vitamin B5 (3rd), sodium hyaluronate (4th) and hydrolyzed collagen (5th). That’s a pretty impressive list of ingredients in the top 5. This mask doesn’t just cover the face, it also covers the jawline and part of the neck, and includes ear loops. With masks like this one, I usually cut off the parts of the mask that extend beyond just my face shape – so the part covering the jawline and neck and the ear loops – which is what I did here. I’m prone to clogged pores along the underside of my jawline and neck and had been dealing with some clogged pores in that area over the last couple of days so I didn’t feel comfortable covering that area with this sheet mask.

The fit of the mask is pretty good – the material covering the upper lip area is pretty wide but some additional snips to the corners of the mouth helped with that. Adherence was good and the mask felt pretty comfortable on; it does have a somewhat strong scent to it – I can’t pinpoint what it is but it’s noticeably sweet but not sugary sweet, more fruity and floral sweet. I left it on for 30 minutes and after removing it and washing off the serum (yes, it’s one of those types of masks; ones where the instructions call for you to wash off the serum), my skin looked and felt soft, smooth, hydrated, and more plump, bouncy. I like the results on this one, but there are other masks that can provide similar results without the extras that are attached to this mask (i.e., ear loops, material extending below chin and covering jawline and neck). Some will like these extra features but they're not the best for my skin. I’m also not a big fan of washing off the serum from a sheet mask.

Now, the V for victory part – I’ve whittled down my mask stash to the lower end of the target range I’ve been aiming for! My natural inclination is to pick up some more masks (lol) - and, not gonna lie, I'll probably will pick up a handful later today, but after that, it'll be a no-buy for me for a couple of months. Smiley Happy

Fruity and floral is a beautiful mix @itsfi. Congrats on the gentle and gradual mask collection.whittling. It feels good! Plus restocking is going to be so much funSmiley Wink

Yeah @eshoe, it does feel good, but I don't think (or I hope I won't) go too crazy on restocking. I have an idea of how to manage the replenishment process so I'm able to try new masks I'm interested in and still keep my mask stash at a size I'm comfortable with. I guess we'll see how it actually works out. ha!

This year was such a learning experience for me @itsfi. I feel more comfortable buying masks based on ingredients which on the one hand is a good thing! Curious how long do you feel it’s taken you to get to this point, goals for meSmiley Happy

Congrats @itsfi on getting your stash down!

Thank you @emaisgr8! It feels good to have pared it down; it's felt like it's taken forever to get here but it does feel good. Smiley Happy

I finally feel like my mask stash is at a manageable level and not so overwhelming. I definitely need to stay on a mask no buy, but it’s so hard right now with all the sales @itsfi😂

That's awesome (and motivational) that your mask stash is at a good place @faeriegirl! The sales are hard because there's such good ones out there. I keep reminding myself that when it comes to sheet masks (and skincare in general), there's always new products, with new, more innovative technology and good-for-the-skin ingredients coming out, so there'll always be something amazing. It's fun to shop your stash during sheet mask no-buys. 

Okay @itsfi , I’ve gotta ask.... what is the target range?? I feel like I’d love to have a more curated collection... but I’ve been obsessed with mask purchasing this year lol

"I’ve been obsessed with mask purchasing this year" - it happens, @missjeanie; ohhhh, it definitely happens. Smiley Wink 

Spoiler

Everyone’s target range is different. At the moment, mine is 80 – 100. I say “at the moment” because it has changed. Before my target was 150 - that was when I had a very challenging time of editing and I had major FOMO and felt like I needed to pick up every mask that looked interesting to me.

Ideally, I’d like to get to a place where I can keep a sheet mask library of 50 - 60 masks at any given time. For me, based on my pattern of shopping for masks as well as my masking routine and work schedule, 80 – 100 (over a rolling 3-month period) seems workable at the moment and it allows me to be, if I want to be, more seasonally conscious / selective when it comes to the masks I have on hand, while still having a reserve for the past season and the upcoming one. I’m probably somewhere in the 80-88 range as of yesterday (there are a few mask that I may be handing off to a friend tonight if she wants them), but I did pick up a handful of masks today during small business Saturday.  Smiley Wink

If we take the high end of my range, 100, my stash is generally made up of the following categories of masks:

*  30 masks – daily masking (whether in a pack or individually wrapped masks that I’ve earmarked as daily masking sheet masks for a particular month) – I am going to aim for daily sheet masking once per quarter in 2020, so this is where the 30 comes in.
*  20 – 30 masks – masks that I most likely would have picked up online and that are masks I’ve used before and know to work well for my skin.

*  25 – 30 masks – these are usually individually wrapped, different masks, often completely new-to-me masks or they are from a brand/line that I’ve tried and like and this is a different varietal in the line/brand.

*  5 – 10 masks – likely from TJ Maxx / Marshalls. I tend to only pick up masks that I’ve used before or am familiar with the brand. These masks sometimes are part of the 20-30 masks in the second category.

My plan is to be on a sheet-mask no buy through mid-January. I may take a break from the no-buy to pick up limited edition sheet masks that come out for the Lunar New Year but I’ll cap it at 10 masks, and then I’m thinking about putting myself on a no-buy as far as sheet masks are concerned until I get down to 30 – 50 sheet masks.

That sounds like a great place to be @itsfi! I've toned down my want to stop by Marshalls and hopefully will whittle down my collection in 2020. Go you!

Yeah @ShortErica, it can help with paring down your collection by knowing (and avoiding) the places from where you primarily source your sheet masks.

This is goals @itsfi ! I feel like I go some weeks where I’m masking daily, then others where I’m lucky to get one in. I’d love to be around 150-200 which I think is more realistic for me. However with my binge buying this year... I’ve somehow likely gotten up to 500ish? I’m too scared to count! My biggest problem is that I need to stop buying 10 packs. 
i lové that you’ve got a great concept of how many of different types of masks you need on hand while still having a nice variety. 
I’m going to consider this past year my year of learning, hopefully next year I’ll be able to be better at choosing individual masks that are more suited to my skin. 

@missjeanie it sounds like you and I have similar goals- 2019 was for figuring out what masks we like, and 2020 for working out a comfortable number of masks in a collection for our skin (and as mentioned by @itsfi  ). Cheers! 

I do wonder how to go about using up the masks that are just ok?  Something to ponder. 

@l8totheparty not gonna lie... I've contemplated using sheet masks as a body masks... I could use a few on my butt and decollate lol.  I know that some masks that weren't the biggest winners for me are great for others though, especially some that aren't specific to moisturizing/brightening which tend to be my go to masks.  I'm planning on giving away a few masks for stockings and little gifts over the holidays so I'll shrink my collection down a bit with a combo of loves and likes.  The 'heck no's' will be trashed at the end of the year in a bit of spring cleaning (at least that's the plan). Once I've done all that I'll likely do some a bit of a donation box for the women shelter in January.  I need to make my 2020 resolution to be more mindful of which masks I'm purchasing and remind myself that if I'm buying boxes of masks, I'm going to be sending more out to friends. 

Smart idea to give some to the shelter! And great idea on masking other body parts. 2020 will be me trying to be more mindful about skincare purchases, since 2019 was all about trying all the things to find what I like. Spoiler: skincare, like blush and eyeshadows, takes a looooooong time to get through. 

@missjeanie 

Aww thanks @missjeanie! It's taken quite a bit of trial and error to figure out what works best, both for my skin, my schedule and my shopping habits. Smiley Wink  

That's a great way to approach it - 2019 is a year of learning about masks and seeing what your skin (and wallet) like and doesn't like. 2020 will be the year of refining your likes / dislikes, a year of fine tuning, if you will. Smiley Happy 

Have you thought about curating your ideal mask count from your current lot and whittling down from there? (I wrote more in the spoiler to keep from taking too much space)

Spoiler
So, if 150-200 is a comfortable number for you, then going through your stash and (1) setting aside all the ones that expire in 2020 and grouping those into ones that expire in the first half of the year vs. the second half of the year; and (2) then pulling out X number that when added with the masks that expire in the first half of the year total 150-200 masks? Put the 150-200 masks somewhere where you can easily see/find/reach for them so that visually seeing them is a reminder to use them. With the other masks, set them aside somewhere else - not completely hidden but not where they would be a distraction from you working through the 150-200 you just curated. The idea (or challenge) would be that you work your way through the 150-200. You can always replenish when you are getting low - or you can restock what you've used up in a month, 2 months, etc. BUT instead of buying new masks, you shop your other stash to replenish / restock what you've already used up?

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos481
  • tumblr_nd1ecxiMEr1squc7do1_500
  • DBA6E537-4204-4B9C-BAC9-99328D5058D4.jpeg
  • F7930E7C-1998-4A94-B1E8-611FB049BBC0.jpeg
  • 09FC297A-2486-499C-9392-C99CAB6A1924.jpeg
  • 3CA21CAF-3CEA-4FCE-8E8D-6EC2E1E34A8E.jpeg
  • 4FD98D5F-8AFB-46BC-A84A-F30270A8E8F5.jpeg
  • IMG_20191008_113107.jpg
  • IMG_20191008_113113.jpg
  • Joeur, Lookatme, Dior & Elemis