Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hello lovely masking mavens! Please continue posting on the Q4 Thread which can be found here:

Spoiler

Many thanks to the wonderful @Aaliaa for beginning this thread and excited you are here. 

To Post:

Spoiler
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. Feel free to post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge; they are guidelines and just something we do for fun. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcomed!

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

Mask Hacks -
Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!

Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

Female-owned companies, for reference:

Spoiler
Amika (Co-Founder Vita Rayhkman)
Annie’s Way (Annie Wu)
Beauty Pie (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Biobelle (4 sisters)
Bite Beauty (Founder Susanne Langmuir)
bkr (Co-Founders Kate Cutler and Tal Winter)
bliss Spa/bliss Skincare (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Briogeo (Nancy Twine)
By Terry (Terry De Gunzberg)
Captain Blankenship
Drunk Elephant (Tiffany Masterson) 
Esker (Shannon Davenport)
Glossier (Emily Weiss) 
Glow Recipe/Sweet Chef (Sarah Lee & Christine Chang)
Herbivore (partners Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow)
Honest Beauty (Jessica Alba)
Indie Lee
Josie Maran
Jane Iredale
Juice Beauty (Karen Behnke)
June Jacobs
Kate Somerville
Kora Organics (Miranda Kerr)
Dr. Loretta
NuFace (Carol Cole)
Odacite (Valerie Grandury)
Omorovicza (husband and wife Stephen and Margaret de Heinrich de Omorovicza)
Ouai (Jen Atkin)
Pacifica Beauty (Brook Harvey-Taylor and husband Billy Taylor)
Pai (Sarah Brown)
Peach & Lily/Peach Slices (Alicia Yoon)
Pixi (Petra Strand)
Purlisse (Jennifer Yen)
Rael (Yanghee Paik)
Sand & Sky (twin sisters Emily and Sarah Hamilton)
Saint Jane (Casey Georgsson)
Sara Happ
Skin Laundry (Yen Reis)
Soap & Glory (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Soko Glam (husband and wife Charlotte and David Cho)
Sol de Janeiro (Heela Yang, Co-Founder)
Summer Fridays (Founders Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores Ireland)
Jill Stuart
tarte (Maureen Kelly)
Tata Harper
Tatcha (Vicky Tsai)
Charlotte Tillbury
Wander Beauty (Co-Founders Divya Gugnani and Lindsay Ellingson)
Joanna Vargas
Yadah Cosmetics (Founder and CEO Anna Kang)

DelayedNeglectedDragonfly-size_restricted

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge Schedule

Spoiler

WEEK     LETTER       THEME

Jul 1 - 7          A           Hydrating Masks to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning! Meetup: Crème Shop -My Melody Softer than Cookies -  Saturday July 6th. Thank you @lmaster!  

Jul 8 - 14        B           Masking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happy 

Jul 15 - 21      C           Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 

Jul 22 - 28      D          ’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders! 

Jul 29 - Aug 4 E           Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 

Aug 5 - 11       F           Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash! Meetup: Biobelle #Peachy mask Saturday 8/10

Aug 12 - 18     G           Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why? Meetup: Biobelle Pineapple mask Saturday 8/17
Aug 19 - 25     H           Drugstore & Grocery Brands Week 

Aug 26 - Sep 1 I           Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask 

Sep 2 - 8          J          Rainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hue Thanks to @Sonnydee

Sep 9 - 15       K           Autumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 

Sep 16 - 22     L           When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that  Glow Meetup: Lookatme Watermelon Saturday 9/21 thanks to @GalPalVal17 and @ShortErica
Sep 23 - 29
     M          BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 

Sep 30 - Oct 6 N          Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 

Oct 7 - 13        O           French Pharmacy Week 

Oct 14 - 20      P           Ends of the Earth - masks that use ingredients from or are made in far away places 

Oct 21 - 27      Q          Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 

Oct 28 - Nov 3 R          Duel Week V2.0 & Mask Meetup thank you @mrsmouse for suggesting the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask!

Nov 4 - 10        S          Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 

Nov 11 - 17      T          Gross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients? 

Nov 18 - 24      U          Flash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the time 

Nov 25 - Dec 1 V          Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 

Dec 2 - 8          W          Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their ways 

Dec 9 - 15        X           Sample Dive - I know we have them! 

Dec 16 - 22      Y           Holiday Party Prep Mask 

Dec 23 - 31       Z          Masks you discovered in 2019

First Half of 2019:

Spoiler

Jan 1 - 6     A    Masks you discovered in 2018 - What new loves did you discover last year?
Jan 7 - 13    B   Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge 2018” 
Jan 14 - 20  C   Favourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?@itsfi
Jan 21 - 27  D   
Clean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilt

Jan 28 - Feb 3 E  Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin
Feb 4 - 10    F     Vitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and minerals@Kim888
Feb 11 - 17  G     Special Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourself@itsfi
Feb 18 - 24  H     Gross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!@Aaliaa
Feb 25 - Mar 3 I   Spring Flowers - floral ingredients or scents that add a spring to your step
Mar 4 - 10    J      Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8th
Mar 11 - 17  K      Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Mar 18 - 24   L     Sample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!@itsfi
Mar 25 - 31  M     Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??
Apr 1 - 7       N     BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members
Apr 8 - 14     O     The Oozoo Week - share your Oozoo and Neogen loves!

Meetup: The OOZOO Capsule Rose Petal -  Saturday April 13th. @Shosh85
Apr 15 - 21    P     Luxe it Up or a Pretty on a Penny - the $ and the $$$$ of Masks
Apr 22 - 28    Q     Sample Dive - I know we have them!
Apr 29 - May 5  R  Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 
Meetup: Sephora Collection Honey Face Mask -  Saturday May 4th. Thank you @missjeanie!  May 6 - 12      S     Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar
May 13 - 19    T     Summer Masks to refresh and sooth during sunny months May 20 - 26    U     Fruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skin@Keana1
May 27 - Jun 2  V   Guess this Mask - using only a pic or description, see if you can stump fellow BIC masking mavens. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask- Your pick Saturday June 1. Thank you @faeriegirlMeetup: Mediheal Vita Lightbeam Essential Mask EX Wednesday 5/29 thanks to @ShortErica & @Shosh85  
Jun 3 - 9         W     DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 2.0
Jun 10 - 16      X     Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 3.0
Jun 17 - 23      Y     Masks you've discovered so far in 2019. 
Meetup: Yadah All Day Mask Pack - Your pick Saturday June 22. Thank you @ShortErica!           Meet up: Bawdy Butt Mask 4.0 - The Finale 
Jun 24 - 30      Z      Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Masking Surveys Thread: Curious about others' masking habits? Join the fun w/ @ShortErica: 

Spoiler

Next Mask Meetup Info: Crème Shop - thanks to @GalPalVal17 date and mask TBD in October ALSO just added: Halloween Wish Formula Bat Mask Meetup thanks to @mrsmouse ! Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.56.17 PM.png 

Spoiler
We have scheduled monthly meetups as well as impromptu sessions because you cannot compare masks only once a month :D. Please check the 2019 Schedule to see what meetups are coming up next. If you have an idea for a week’s Meetup or a particular month, tag me so I can add it to the schedule.

April: The Oozoo Rose Capsule, April 13th
May: Sephora Collection Mask - Honey Mask, May 4th (Thank you @missjeanie!) 
June: Bawdy Butt Mask Month. Let's try all four masks, one a Saturday (Thank you @faeriegirl!) On the 22nd we will also be trying out a Yadah mask - your pick, thanks to @ShortErica
July: @lmaster suggested a Crème Shop Sanrio Mask for our July 6th meetup, and you all voted for the My Melody Softer Than Cookies.

August: Biobelle Tutti Frutti Collection - the Peach is on deck for our mid-summer masking! Join us Saturday August 10th to compare notes on this mask. Then Saturday August 17th we will be comparing the Biobelle Pineapple mask. Thank you @lmaster@Shosh85 & @PrettyPaint for suggesting Biobelle!
September: @ShortErica and @GalPalVal17 are interested in everyone's thoughts on the Lookatme Watermelon Face Mask. Join us Saturday, September 21st for the fun!
October@GalPalVal17 suggested a Crème Shop Mask, will update with more info. ALSO: October 31st join us for the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask thanks to @mrsmouse!

I love the sounds of this mask @l8totheparty

I love the sounds of this mask @l8totheparty

Re: 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge!

@l8totheparty sounds like a great overnight masks. Also sounds like a mask duel is in order 😉

@l8totheparty I have the same question as @itsfi - I'd be interested to know how this compares with Glow Recipe, if you've tried it. It really sounds fantastic! Love a good watermelon scent in a mask- makes the experience that much more enjoyable. 🍉😃

I will review and compare sometime this week, @Shosh85 !  

Oooh, this sounds like it smells wonderfully @l8totheparty and the results sound great! Have you tried Glow Recipe's Watermelon Sleeping Mask? I'm wondering how this overnight mask compares with the GR sleeping mask.

Not yet but!  I have a little watermelon glow recipe trial that I will pull out tonight to try (as long as I remember tonight).  I will post thoughts and a comparison.  😊🍉

@itsfi 

Last night I did the Holika Holika Aloe mask with @ShortErica and @eshoe .  I started off with the PTR Cucumber.  Mostly because it was green and it matched.  Sometimes I have no real method behind the madness lol.

The PTR was a gift from PTR and Sephora.  This gel mask is okay.  There's nothing wrong with it per say... but there's nothing outstanding about it either.  I'll use this up, but wouldn't purchase.  I need something more in my masks. 

The HH Aloe was a gift from shorterica and I knew going in that it was a love for @lmaster so I knew it was going to be good.  I haven't needed a lot of soothing for my skin lately, but I spent Saturday and Sunday out sailing so I had been in the sun/wind and figured it was excellent timing.  The scent on this mask was very reminiscent of fresh aloe, but there was something else in there.... Fresh or Clean?  The mask material was just okay, nothing to write home about, but it was still quite moist at a half hour.  If I had more time before bed I'd have left it another 10 minutes.  The serum wasn't tacky for me after I pulled the mask off, it massaged in quite easily.  I did go in almost right away with my nightly moisturizer and hit the hay.  I did find that my skin looked a bit brighter, as it does with most masks.  I didn't have much redness to start off so I can't speak as to that, but it really felt nice and relaxing.  I'm going to toss one onto the boat as a 'my face hurts from the air' sorta thing in the future. I'd give this a solid A-/B+.  Grade may be adjusted in the future when I can apply the function of this mask better.

IMG_4035 2.jpg

Jealous of your sailing days, @missjeanie how fun! I don’t normally have much redness to speak of either, but it was a nice mask I’d use again, too😊

@eshoe We have such a short season for sailing up here that we need to get it in while we can!  The SO is actually sailing away this weekend, he's headed down through the Great Lakes out to New York, then along the Inter Coastal Waterway to Florida for the end of the year, then on to the Bahamas and back.  Should be gone for about 10 months!  That's the sailing trip I'm jealous of lol!  I strongly suspect the masks I've hidden aboard may be put to use at some point!

@missjeanie...no words, just imagining the kind of life that must be😊 we will just have to keep ourselves occupied with masking and such😉

Oh I'm getting all the photos and updates... I'm not sure how I feel about getting updates during the winter while he's in the Bahamas and I'm in 10 feet of snow.... lol. Masking it is!  I've done three days in a row now so I'm looking to get back into the habit before cooler weather sets in! @eshoe 

@missjeanie has his planned changed based on the storm? Not that he will be near it but the poor Bahamas looks like it has a lot to rebuild.

Not so far @ShortErica .  He's made it to the Detroit area so far through the Great Lakes.  If everything goes according to plan he won't be to Florida until around Christmas, so hurricane season 'should' be over.  I think the goal he had in mind for the last 10 years was the Bahamas so he'll likely head there regardless.  Though everything is always kind of up in the air and planned as he goes.

I love your theme, @missjeanie. This would be a great duo for those days when skin needs a little extra TLC. 

yep I totally get that @missjeanie I've been wanting to u...

yep I totally get that @missjeanie I've been wanting to use mine so bad, but I have not had true reason to use it, luckily haven't had any product mix mishaps either 😂

Re: yep I totally get that @missjeanie I've been wanting to u...

This is a good thing @lmaster !!  Nice to have them for those days when things aren't going quite right, but not needed is best!

@missjeanie  Aloe masks are usually pretty refreshing for the face. Definitely a good one to try when you've been out in the sun and need some relief. Hopefully when you try again you enjoy it more. 

@missjeanie I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I tried it this weekend after a peel and it felt so refreshing! 

@missjeanie  Ooooh this looks like a really nice one that I may need to seek out (I like aloe). That's really cool that there wasn't any tackiness/stickiness. A lot of the aloe masks I've tried before tend to be a bit sticky in my experience. Glad you enjoyed this one! 🙂

@missjeanie Glad you enjoyed this one! I really liked this one and love how feels chilled in the fridge beforehand - definitely perfect after a hot day. 😃☀️ Seems like it would make a great after boating mask too! 

Glad you got to try this one and had a mostly enjoyable experience @missjeanie. How would you compare it to other aloe masks you've tried? I compared it back to back with the lookatme one and prefer the Holika Holika. I need to try the Yadah aloe again to see if I have a preference between the two. For me it helped with redness but if that wasn't a problem for you, then I can see it being just okay. 🙂

33,417 Replies
testing