Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hello lovely masking mavens! Please continue posting on the Q4 Thread which can be found here:

Spoiler

Many thanks to the wonderful @Aaliaa for beginning this thread and excited you are here. 

To Post:

Spoiler
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. Feel free to post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge; they are guidelines and just something we do for fun. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcomed!

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

Mask Hacks -
Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!

Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

Female-owned companies, for reference:

Spoiler
Amika (Co-Founder Vita Rayhkman)
Annie’s Way (Annie Wu)
Beauty Pie (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Biobelle (4 sisters)
Bite Beauty (Founder Susanne Langmuir)
bkr (Co-Founders Kate Cutler and Tal Winter)
bliss Spa/bliss Skincare (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Briogeo (Nancy Twine)
By Terry (Terry De Gunzberg)
Captain Blankenship
Drunk Elephant (Tiffany Masterson) 
Esker (Shannon Davenport)
Glossier (Emily Weiss) 
Glow Recipe/Sweet Chef (Sarah Lee & Christine Chang)
Herbivore (partners Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow)
Honest Beauty (Jessica Alba)
Indie Lee
Josie Maran
Jane Iredale
Juice Beauty (Karen Behnke)
June Jacobs
Kate Somerville
Kora Organics (Miranda Kerr)
Dr. Loretta
NuFace (Carol Cole)
Odacite (Valerie Grandury)
Omorovicza (husband and wife Stephen and Margaret de Heinrich de Omorovicza)
Ouai (Jen Atkin)
Pacifica Beauty (Brook Harvey-Taylor and husband Billy Taylor)
Pai (Sarah Brown)
Peach & Lily/Peach Slices (Alicia Yoon)
Pixi (Petra Strand)
Purlisse (Jennifer Yen)
Rael (Yanghee Paik)
Sand & Sky (twin sisters Emily and Sarah Hamilton)
Saint Jane (Casey Georgsson)
Sara Happ
Skin Laundry (Yen Reis)
Soap & Glory (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Soko Glam (husband and wife Charlotte and David Cho)
Sol de Janeiro (Heela Yang, Co-Founder)
Summer Fridays (Founders Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores Ireland)
Jill Stuart
tarte (Maureen Kelly)
Tata Harper
Tatcha (Vicky Tsai)
Charlotte Tillbury
Wander Beauty (Co-Founders Divya Gugnani and Lindsay Ellingson)
Joanna Vargas
Yadah Cosmetics (Founder and CEO Anna Kang)

DelayedNeglectedDragonfly-size_restricted

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge Schedule

Spoiler

WEEK     LETTER       THEME

Jul 1 - 7          A           Hydrating Masks to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning! Meetup: Crème Shop -My Melody Softer than Cookies -  Saturday July 6th. Thank you @lmaster!  

Jul 8 - 14        B           Masking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happy 

Jul 15 - 21      C           Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 

Jul 22 - 28      D          ’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders! 

Jul 29 - Aug 4 E           Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 

Aug 5 - 11       F           Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash! Meetup: Biobelle #Peachy mask Saturday 8/10

Aug 12 - 18     G           Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why? Meetup: Biobelle Pineapple mask Saturday 8/17
Aug 19 - 25     H           Drugstore & Grocery Brands Week 

Aug 26 - Sep 1 I           Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask 

Sep 2 - 8          J          Rainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hue Thanks to @Sonnydee

Sep 9 - 15       K           Autumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 

Sep 16 - 22     L           When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that  Glow Meetup: Lookatme Watermelon Saturday 9/21 thanks to @GalPalVal17 and @ShortErica
Sep 23 - 29
     M          BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 

Sep 30 - Oct 6 N          Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 

Oct 7 - 13        O           French Pharmacy Week 

Oct 14 - 20      P           Ends of the Earth - masks that use ingredients from or are made in far away places 

Oct 21 - 27      Q          Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 

Oct 28 - Nov 3 R          Duel Week V2.0 & Mask Meetup thank you @mrsmouse for suggesting the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask!

Nov 4 - 10        S          Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 

Nov 11 - 17      T          Gross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients? 

Nov 18 - 24      U          Flash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the time 

Nov 25 - Dec 1 V          Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 

Dec 2 - 8          W          Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their ways 

Dec 9 - 15        X           Sample Dive - I know we have them! 

Dec 16 - 22      Y           Holiday Party Prep Mask 

Dec 23 - 31       Z          Masks you discovered in 2019

First Half of 2019:

Spoiler

Jan 1 - 6     A    Masks you discovered in 2018 - What new loves did you discover last year?
Jan 7 - 13    B   Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge 2018” 
Jan 14 - 20  C   Favourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?@itsfi
Jan 21 - 27  D   
Clean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilt

Jan 28 - Feb 3 E  Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin
Feb 4 - 10    F     Vitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and minerals@Kim888
Feb 11 - 17  G     Special Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourself@itsfi
Feb 18 - 24  H     Gross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!@Aaliaa
Feb 25 - Mar 3 I   Spring Flowers - floral ingredients or scents that add a spring to your step
Mar 4 - 10    J      Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8th
Mar 11 - 17  K      Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Mar 18 - 24   L     Sample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!@itsfi
Mar 25 - 31  M     Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??
Apr 1 - 7       N     BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members
Apr 8 - 14     O     The Oozoo Week - share your Oozoo and Neogen loves!

Meetup: The OOZOO Capsule Rose Petal -  Saturday April 13th. @Shosh85
Apr 15 - 21    P     Luxe it Up or a Pretty on a Penny - the $ and the $$$$ of Masks
Apr 22 - 28    Q     Sample Dive - I know we have them!
Apr 29 - May 5  R  Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 
Meetup: Sephora Collection Honey Face Mask -  Saturday May 4th. Thank you @missjeanie!  May 6 - 12      S     Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar
May 13 - 19    T     Summer Masks to refresh and sooth during sunny months May 20 - 26    U     Fruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skin@Keana1
May 27 - Jun 2  V   Guess this Mask - using only a pic or description, see if you can stump fellow BIC masking mavens. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask- Your pick Saturday June 1. Thank you @faeriegirlMeetup: Mediheal Vita Lightbeam Essential Mask EX Wednesday 5/29 thanks to @ShortErica & @Shosh85  
Jun 3 - 9         W     DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 2.0
Jun 10 - 16      X     Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 3.0
Jun 17 - 23      Y     Masks you've discovered so far in 2019. 
Meetup: Yadah All Day Mask Pack - Your pick Saturday June 22. Thank you @ShortErica!           Meet up: Bawdy Butt Mask 4.0 - The Finale 
Jun 24 - 30      Z      Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Masking Surveys Thread: Curious about others' masking habits? Join the fun w/ @ShortErica: 

Spoiler

Next Mask Meetup Info: Crème Shop - thanks to @GalPalVal17 date and mask TBD in October ALSO just added: Halloween Wish Formula Bat Mask Meetup thanks to @mrsmouse ! Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.56.17 PM.png 

Spoiler
We have scheduled monthly meetups as well as impromptu sessions because you cannot compare masks only once a month :D. Please check the 2019 Schedule to see what meetups are coming up next. If you have an idea for a week’s Meetup or a particular month, tag me so I can add it to the schedule.

April: The Oozoo Rose Capsule, April 13th
May: Sephora Collection Mask - Honey Mask, May 4th (Thank you @missjeanie!) 
June: Bawdy Butt Mask Month. Let's try all four masks, one a Saturday (Thank you @faeriegirl!) On the 22nd we will also be trying out a Yadah mask - your pick, thanks to @ShortErica
July: @lmaster suggested a Crème Shop Sanrio Mask for our July 6th meetup, and you all voted for the My Melody Softer Than Cookies.

August: Biobelle Tutti Frutti Collection - the Peach is on deck for our mid-summer masking! Join us Saturday August 10th to compare notes on this mask. Then Saturday August 17th we will be comparing the Biobelle Pineapple mask. Thank you @lmaster@Shosh85 & @PrettyPaint for suggesting Biobelle!
September: @ShortErica and @GalPalVal17 are interested in everyone's thoughts on the Lookatme Watermelon Face Mask. Join us Saturday, September 21st for the fun!
October@GalPalVal17 suggested a Crème Shop Mask, will update with more info. ALSO: October 31st join us for the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask thanks to @mrsmouse!

Re: 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge

Thanks for all of the detailed reviews, @CC3616. Sorry about the cystic acne going on, dairy does seem to really cause some skin issues for me as well 😞 

@CC3616  I love the sound of the green foil – it's like the Tin Man's brother! Haha! 

Those hydrogel lip masks never want to stay! The last one I used did the same thing!! Laying down with them is probably best, but I have literally never laid down while masking! Sometimes wearing a face mask on over it can help keep them on too. 😉 ETA: (Sorry I just read @itsfi said the same thing😬)   

Sorry to hear about your cystic acne – I know that can be such a pain, in more ways than one! I hope they clear up fast for you!

A sheet mask over top of the lip gels is a great idea @Shosh85  @itsfi - thanks!

@CC3616, I’ve learned the hard way that hydrogel lip masks like the Tony Moly one don’t want to stay put! 😟 I have to lie down or apply a sheet mask over it. Otherwise, plop! It’ll end up on the floor!! 😂

Sorry about the cystic acne spots - “Grrrrr!!” is right!! They’re the worst!!! Dairy is one of the triggers for mine, too. Good luck with your one-two lactic acid - MB drying lotion punch! 🥊 

The whole foods mask sounds  nice! Sorry the others were just so so and the lip mask didn't work out. @CC3616 

lol @CC3616  those gel lip masks never stay on ! 

between you @CC3616 and @Shosh85 I'm LOL over lip masks f...

between you @CC3616 and @Shosh85 I'm LOL over lip masks flopping on the floor 😂😂

Ugh that’s the worst with the spots @CC3616 !! I’m with you though - mine is sugar related unfortunately so it’s been a rough time at my house 😂 hopefully everything sorts out soon! I know how painful and annoying those little spots can get. 

Aside from that - love your variety in masking! I have to try the whole foods ones, I’ve heard so many great things, and the green foil sounds like it would be fun at the very least 😂

@cianni I've enjoyed all of the whole foods ones I've tried, it's a blessing and a curse I don't live closer! 

Good luck with clearing up your pesky spots, @CC3616! I'm with you on that TM lip mask btw, jello jiggler is the perfect description for it. 

Didn't have a chance to post this on Sunday night, but finished off the weekend with these mask for E/Eye, Lip, Hands week.

F1.jpg

Spoiler
All are new tries for me except the Laneige lip mask. The Exuviance mud mask was an easy wear. It dried up pretty quickly but didnt get too tight which was nice. It also washed off easily. Can't say I noticed any difference to my face but I dont always. Could just be me. But my face did feel cleaner.

After, applied the Kocostar lip mask but made sure to put it under my sheet mask as recommended by @itsfi  . Ya know, I dont think I've tried this type of mask before and I'm not sure if I like it. I really didnt feel any serum on it but was I supposed to? It felt almost dry just gelly like due to the type of mask. I applied it anyways to see what happened. Nothing. Maybe I got a dud?!

The sheet mask was pleasant. I thought at first the scent from the lip mask (rose scent) would collide with the sheet mask (lemony like) but nope, the sheet mask scent faded quickly. Fit good and felt great. 

F2.jpg

Spoiler
Well, since I wasnt sure about the Kocostar lip mask the day before, I thought I'd try out this other one to try to compare. This one was definitely soaked in serum but the problem with this was it didnt stay on. I tried to hurry and put on the sheet mask, tilting my head back trying to keep the lip mask on. I could only imagine what I looked like trying to balance the lip mask and apply the sheet mask before it fell off. Unfortunately, it didnt stay on even under the sheet mask so that was a total fail for me but quite fun... lol

I tried these eye masks for the first time. I dont know what it is but these too came out of the package dry. I think they are the same material as the Kocostar lip mask. I looked this product up to read the reviews and I wasnt the only one with this experience. So, i was so distracted with be disappointed in the eye masks that I didnt notice if it did anything for me. If this is how this type of mask is supposed to be, then it just may not be for me. 

TCS mask was a good fit but I did get a little irritated by the sides of my nose. Could just be me because that is the spot I get the most dry and irritated. I def would try this mask again when that area is doing well to get a better idea if it was the mask or me. It was a pretty mask, blue with the constellation on it. Had a nice scent to it, not too strong.

Spoiler

Matcha Green Tea : A traditional ingredient (for the tradition-loving Capricorn) with multiple skin benefits. 

Bergamot Oil : Aromatherapy promoting relaxation for the naturally disciplined and in-control Capricorn. 

Dark Chocolate : Help diminishes the appearance of tired skin from productive and busy days. 

@GalPalVal17 Sorry to hear about the lip masks! All the hydrogels seem to do that to me too! The last one I used, made such a loud smacking noise when it the floor, it made me crack up! 😂

@GalPalVal17, the Kocostar lip mask I used had the jelly feel you mentioned and there was very slight serum on it but almost undetectable. It made my lips softer then they were, but my lips were super dry at the time so that might account for the results.

Sorry that lip mask didn't stay on 😞 @GalPalVal17 

@GalPalVal17 I don't see many having luck with those type...

@GalPalVal17 I don't see many having luck with those types of lip masks unless you are literally laying down and not moving... I know I can't 😂

@GalPalVal17 I chuckled because I tried a lip mask similar to the cherry gel and was doing the same thing before realizing it just wasn't going to stick on 

For this week, I decided to dive into a mask I received from my coworker. Had to do a little research because these were not intended for sale outside of Asia and so there’s no English! This is the Kosé Cosmeport Clear Turn White - Vitamin C mask. Because of the crazy weather and a dermatologist prescription my skin has been extra dry, so I followed with my TO 100% plant-derived squalane and laneige water sleeping mask.

Spoiler
The squalane and sleeping masks are staples in my routine, so I don’t think I need to do a review on them. Plus I feel like everyone has tried the laneige anyways! If anyone has questions about the squalane I’d be more than happy to answer though!

as for the mask - the website claims that this is the top selling face mask brand in Japan. I feel like I can see why! The sheet itself was quite heavy and clear (like a bio-cellulose if it didn’t have a meshy texture). It was saturated in serum, but wasn’t dripping. It almost felt like the mask was spongey and had absorbed the serum right up. The top half of the mask was one of the best fits on a sheet mask I’ve tried - the eye holes were wide enough and in the right spot, the nose fit great, and I didn’t have a lot of extra around the forehead or temples. It went a little downhill with the lower half. There was too much space between the nose and mouth, and a lot of extra width in the cheeks. I made it work by making a small fold. It said leave on for 10 mins but I left it about 25. The scent was super minimal but fresh and light. It didn’t move around once affixed to the face. After removal there was serum still on my face that I tapped it. It was very minimally tacky but went away as it started to absorb. My face felt bright and refreshed, but the effect didn’t last that long. The website sells these in bulk, and I’m under the impression that they’re daily masks, so I feel like to have sustained results you would have to incorporate it into a regular routine. I did quite like it though, so I’ll give it a B+. I would have scored it higher if the results lasted longer or didn’t require as much commitment to maintain. There are so many masks out there to try, I don’t know if I could commit to using the same one every day for extended periods of time!

0D9CBDE2-6831-49CF-A6C1-02B80F45346A.jpeg

@cianni I've never tried this one, but I feel like I've used a lot masks that I wish the results were longer lasting! Too bad this was the same way! Sounds pretty decent otherwise, though! 🤗

Love the Laneige sleeping mask @cianni! Sorry the Kose ones didn’t work out for you. I’ve heard really good things about the brand but, with the exception of one sheet mask, I haven’t had the best results with their sheet masks. Maybe their other skincare products are better.

@itsfi I’m not too mad about it, it still felt nice even if the results weren’t as long lasting as I had hoped. I imagine that it’s to be used in place of a vitamin C serum in a daily routine, and I can definitely see it having great long term results when used that way! I prefer to have more variety (and fun hehe) in my masking, so I’ll stick to my Truth Serum for my daily Vit C 🤗

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Sorry the results weren't longer lasting. @cianni 

9 Replies
testing