Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

20 year old with breakouts

My daughter is 20, and never had skin issues until within the last year or so. Lately she has been breaking out terribly, mainly on her cheek area, a bit on her forehead. Mainly painful, red pimples that sometimes do, sometimes don’t want to come to a head. We have tried mainly drugstore systems...Neutrogena the latest, until it has seemed to get worse. She has combination skin. We even tried the EVER line of skincare that was supposed to be all natural, to no avail. Recently we purchased the Sunday Riley UFO oil, but she’s only had the chance to use it once. Does anyone have any suggestions for a skincare system that might help? She is at her wits end and it is killing her self esteem. She is a college student with a lot of stress, so I’m Sure that doesn’t help. TIA advance for any suggestions!

Re: 20 year old with breakouts

Hi there, 

As someone also in their 20s who has had a lot of unfortunately luck with acne for the last few years, I can understand her frustration! I tend to get a lot of acne around my cheeks, jawline and around the edges of my face, some of it cystic, some of it not, but all of it very stubborn. I have tried all kinds of brands: Murad, Neutrogena, Lush, Kate Somerville, Origins, Ole, Clean and Clear, Fresh, Herbivore, just about everything out there. 

I also have combination skin so it's hard to find products that don't strip my skin but also don't create a huge oil slick on my face as well. My best advice would be to stay away from using a lot of products that are going to dry out the skin, I found that no matter who amazing a moisturizer or serum or oil can be, they can't also combat excessive stripping of the skin. Also, try to stay away from oil based products if it's possible.

Some of the products I have had success with so far are the Origins Clear Improvement Mask, it is a bit drying but I find my skin feels very smooth and less red the next couple days after using the mask. Another product I would recommend is the Origins Spot Treatment, I have used EVERY spot treatment out there pretty much and this one is the only one that doesn't dry up my entire face, it only targets the spots that I've put the product on. EradiKate is also a good spot treatment but can only be used at night and does have a pink colour to it. For a toner, I like to use the United State Balancing Tonic by Origins or the Fresh Deep Hydration Facial Toner. The Origins one is good if my skin is more oily that day and the Fresh one is good if I need a little extra moisture but both help to reduce redness (I would recommend the Fresh one if I had to pick one though). As for a good moisturizer, I would suggest her to use something light, I've had a lot of good luck with the Tatcha The Water Cream (it's a little pricey though) and the Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream, they don't seem to clog my pores and the Fresh products really reduce redness. I would also suggest the Lush Aqua Marina cleanser, it's made with Aloe and Calamine which I found really soothing and calmed my redness as well and is not drying whatsoever. Using a gentle cleanser is good if you're using a lot of products specifcally designed to combat acne, the Ole Wonderfeel Double Cleanser is also an awesome choice as it doubles as a makeup remover.

As someone who is in her same position, I would suggest going to see a dermatologist if it's possible. As well, if she's not already on birth control that could be something to look into (it did help a bit with clearing up my acne on my more oily spots like my t-zone). 

Hopefully some of this can be helpful!

Hi. The stress of studying might be a bad cause of acne. She must get time to do exercise like running. If she had that severe acne, just don’t wear make up. Most important thing is just don’t switch the acne product really quick. Let her tries for a while if the product doesn’t cause any rash or dry skin. Don’t use produce which has alcohol. Alcohol is real harsh with acne that cause rash and make her skin worse. Wash face with purified water pls. Be gentle with the pimples until those dry. 

Anonymous Insider

There are things your daughter can do besides skincare that can help. Stress, diet, and sleep can play a part in how our skin looks. That said, skincare is the most important. Whatever brand she chooses make sure she is reading the ingredients. It's important to avoid any pore clogging ingredients and irritating ingredients. I'd also get her to have her skin hydration and moisture level looked at. You can do this at Sephora stores.

RE: 20 year old with breakouts

Thank you all for your your help! She has an appointment with her reg doc, and looking to get a referral for a derm in our area...we live in a pretty small town. Will definitely look into some of your suggestions! Thanks so much :).

One important thing is to make sure she keeps up on hydrating her skin as well, as a lot of the time acne treatments are over drying. It might be worth trying double cleansing to make sure her face is as clean as possible before bed each night to prevent pore clogging, I also really recommend the ordinary 's niacinamide, I feel like it helps keep my skin clear and fade any hyperpigmentation which can be its own struggle after breakouts. I also find products that are honey based are really nice bc they are hydrating and honey is antiseptic - I really like the farmacys honey mask and also find it has a brightening effect. One last thing I highly recommend is Dr. Jarts cerimidin liquid, it's super light weight and I feel it really helps to protect the skin/skin barrier.

@Dina68 Neutrogena has a lot of problematic products.  

Here's what I rec:

1. Gentle liquid cleanser.  FAB Face Cleanser is great.  If you are looking for drugstore, CeraVe has some nice ones.

2. BHA.  I only trust Paula's Choice.  It comes in 1, 2, 4 and 9%.  I rec starting with the 2%; I like the gel version.  If you sign up for the company's e-mails, you will find that there are frequent discounts.  PC is also sold at Nordstrom, some of it on QVC, and also on dermstore (I think!).

3. Spot treat with a benzoyl peroxide product.  Clean & Clear Persa-gel is great.  Many drugstores have knock-offs that are probably just as good.

4. If she is experiencing a lot of oiliness throughout the day, oil blotting sheets are helpful when used routinely.  Target makes nice inexpensive ones.

If she needs more help, ask her MD for Rx Differin; I don't think the OTC is strong enough.  And is she is really struggling, then ask her derm if she is a candidate for Retin-A.

When you are exploring products, I also rec looking up "best of" lists and reviews on beautypedia.com.  Good luck!  🙂

Hiii, I'm actually a 20 year old that has dealt, and is still dealing with acne. My skin used to be extremely bad until I went on accutane, but could NOT handle the side effects and went off it. My skin got worse and I tried EVERYTHING. Soon I realized that natural products and less harsh acne medications cleared my skin up. I use oral medications because acne can be caused by hormonal imbalances as well. I went to my trusted doctor, and I am on birthcontrol (tricyclin) and an acne medication called minocyclin. Mind you, it's kind of trial and error because some birthcontrols broke me out more than another, screwed up my period, etc. I use the Lush - Angels on Bare Skin and the neutrogena oil-free moisturizer morning and night. I also take my makeup off EVERY night using Garnier micellar water. And another HOLY GRAIL item is the GlamGlow Supermud Charcoal treatment. It is amazing. I hope she finds something that works for her soon!!

Hi @Dina68. Has your daughter been to a dermatologist? My acne significantly worsened in my twenties and I found that no otc treatment really did the trick. I sought out the help of a dermatologist, and continue to do so, for my acne. That being said, I would tell her to wash her face with a gentle cleanser such as Cerave and also moisturize. Cerave also makes a great line of moisturizers. The brand The Ordinary is a great, inexpensive skincare line that has several products geared toward combating acne. You may want to look into that as well. I hope your daughter finds something that works for her soon!
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing