Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

chronic plaque phryisis (forgot how to spell my own disease lol)

I grow way to much skin where I have had rashes or cuts in the past and now that I play volleyball I have horrible phryisis on my knees from my knee pads. Anyone who knows something that can help?

Re: chronic plaque phryisis (forgot how to spell my own disease lol)

Psoriasis is an annoying condition, and the spelling does not help. Mine is scalp and back of legs, from my bottom to the back of my knees, mostly. I tend towards the type that looks like you had boiling water spilled on you, rather than the I'm actually a dragon and I'm shedding now type it sounds like you have, but...maybe my tips can help? Two key products are my holy grails: hydrocortizone, and coal tar.

Hydrocortizone comes as either a cream or an ointment. I prefer cream, my friend prefers ointment, so go with whatever you like better. It's over the counter, and most stores with a pharmacy section will carry it. Some have added stuff like aloe or vitamin e, and you might find you like one better than another, but that's something you'll have to experiment a bit with. Slather that stuff on, carry it with you and use it whenever you itch, layer it on super thick at night and cover with clean cotton so it doesn't rub off or stain your sheets. Bandages can get pricey, and the lotion tends to make them stop sticking anyway, so I'd suggest investing in some leggings to wear at night instead.

If the cream soaks through the knees and doesn't seem to be staying in place well enough at night to do the job, you can get a pair of those socks for wearing to bed with lotion feet, turn your sleep leggings inside out, cut the socks along the top and toe then wrap them over your knee, and carefully sew the lotion socks to the leggings to basically make a set of reusable moisture locking knee bandages. (You might want to safety pin the socks in place on the knee while wearing the leggings, carefully remove the leggings, then tuck your knee pads into the leggings to keep the spot stretched while you hand sew the socks in place.) When you turn the leggings back right side out, the lotion socks will be on the inside, where they can do their job keeping the hydrocortizone on your knees.

Coal tar sounds gross, smells gross, and can stain light colored things. But coal tar shampoo and coal tar ointment can help calm the flare ups better than any prescription I've ever used. T gel is one type of coal tar shampoo, though the generic works just as well. You get them at most big general stores with a shampoo section, usually in the dandruff shampoo area, often on the very top or bottom shelf since they are super basic and don't come in multiple scents or formulas. Coal tar ointment is usually in the pharmacy section, near the hydrocortizone and anti-itch medications. No prescription is needed.

Hope some of this helps you!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing