Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Who has hyper and hypo pigmentation and what products work best for you?

I have both white and brown spot from the sun, hormones, etc,...it doesn't matter how I got it, how to look better is what I'm after.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Who has hyper and hypo pigmentation and what products work best for you?

I have brown spots from the sun, etc. as well.  I've been able to fade a lot of the hyperpigmentation with the following products and routine.  I completely agree with @NyLonSarah, consistency is key.  My skin looks much better when I keep to the routine.  Here’s what I have found to work for my skin –

I started by going in for a peel/facial about once every 6-8 weeks – probably ideal to get these done monthly, but this is what I was able to fit into my schedule and budget.  Once I found a salon / aesthetician I liked, I purchased a series of facial peels – if that is something you can do, it’s more cost effective.  The peels helped with increasing cell turnover, shedding dead skin and bringing new skin that is free of damage, debris, etc. to the surface. 

Eminence Arctic Berry Peel & Peptide Illuminating System – I purchased this from the place where I get my peels (it’s the milder, at-home version of what they use at the salon).  I use it weekly in between visits to the salon.

As the other posters have said, use Vitamin C.  I have very sensitive, combination-dry, and dehydrated skin so it was hard to find a Vitamin C product that didn’t cause my skin to have a bad reaction.  I’ve found that the Eminence Rosehip Triple C+E Firming Oil works best with my skin.  My typical AM routine is: cleanse, Vitamin C (and give it about 10+ minutes to absorb into the skin), toner/essence/serum, as needed, then moisturizer and sunblock.  About 1-3 times per week depending on how my skin feels, after cleansing, I will exfoliate with a chemical or physcial exfoliator in the morning after cleansing).

My PM routine usually consists of: removing makeup with micellar water, then double cleansing (oil-based cleanser, followed by a water-based cleanser), then exfoliating 2-3 nights per week.  I use a brightening serum to spot treat the areas where I have hyperpigmentation, acne scars, brown spots, etc. and allow the serum to absorb into those areas.  Then, I follow that up with a hyaluronic acid serum all over my face and neck, and then moisturizer.  If my skin is extra dry, I will add a layer of Laneige Water Sleeping Mask on top of my moisturizer.  As little as once a week to as much as 4-5 nights per week, I will use a sheet mask – after the serum step but before the moisturizer.  For the most part, I use masks that brighten or hydrate my skin, depending on what my skin needs.

Anonymous Insider

@Anonymous, is the oil you mentioned very thick?  Like you, I have really sensitive skin - thinking maybe starting with a moisturizer or oil that has vitamin C might be better for my skin to see how it reacts.  

Anonymous Insider

Not thick at all, @Anonymous! It's not too thick nor too runny, at least for me.  I find that a little goes a long ways as well and with the cold winter weather, it's actually very moisturizing.  In the past, I've doubled up on moisturizers because my skin is so dry and dehydrated in the winter months, but with this Eminence Vitamin C oil, I find that it absorbs very well and keeps my skin moisturized while letting me get some Vitamin C into my skincare routine.  It's not cheap, but like I said, a little goes a long way and my skin seems to really like it.

Anonymous Insider

I use 30% Vitamin C in Squalane from Revision. They have a 15% C that you can try also. Skincare expert Nadine Baggot says you need at least 20% to fade hyper pigmentation. Revision doesn't have a fragrance which is a bonus. I didn't have to build up to a 30%, but I would not recommend that route. My skin tone is almost completely even and I'm 52. It's good stuff!

Good Luck!!

Anonymous Insider

@Anonymous, any recs for products to use to build up to 30% Vitamin C?  I have really sensitive skin and am nervous about incorporating a Vit. C product to it. Should I go in with a Vitamin C serum right away or use a product like a moisturizer or oil that contains vitamin C?

I have melasma, and am about the 1% of the 1% of the 1% when it comes to the chances of totally getting rid of it. BUT, I have found some ways of treating even mine, with srsly good results. Rule one: consistency; most products need time - like, a couple of months - to really do what they do. I truly love new products, so still experiment when new things come out, but I keep to my basics for treating the evil spots. Rule two: invest. Because the products I've found that work aren't cheap (sob). I start with SK-II Facial Treatment Essence (application is important, pat it directly on skin and spend a minute pressing/patting it in). DON'T use a cotton round - better absorption and you don't lose (expensive) product. I follow with Triple C Lightning Liquid (K-brand, wish Sephora carried it, but Soko Glam does and it's only about $30 and a few drops go a long way), same application process. I follow with C E Ferulic (SkinCeuticals), which is almost offensively expensive but kind of a miracle worker. Drunk Elephant makes a C Serum that's an ok dupe ($80 vs about $165). Finally, on the prevent side, Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical protection tinted sunscreen gives you physical protection without being chalky and gives a lovely glow. 

Hi, I just saw this and want you to know that, from what...

Hi, I just saw this and want you to know that, from what I learned from SKII reps, you should use a cotton pad to apply their essence. Your fingers actually absorb more product than a High quality cotton pad. And after patting the product onto face, put the pad on area that you think needs a bit more attention and let it stay there for a few minutes. I personally use shiseido cotton pad and split one in two to apply SKII essence. Hope this help!
7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing