Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

What are some good gluten free makeup brands for people with celiac?

A friend of mine that I was shopping for has celiac and I need to get her a gift. I was wondering what some good gluten free options were and if cross contamination would be bad for her. Thanks!
Anonymous Insider

Re: What are some good gluten free makeup brands for people with celiac?

i'm a celiac myself

tarte has a lot of GF stuff. Cover FX Bite cosmetics, Jeffree stars lipsticks, hourglass has some GF products(said a sephora employee i spoke with)

Also best liner is the Tarte sex kitten eyeliner

There is also a skin safe app that lists all a lot of makeup, hair and skin products and all allergens.  So sweet of you to pay attention to that.  It's a big deal to those of us who have celiac disease and other allergies.  

RE: What are some good gluten free makeup brands for people with celiac?

CoverFx y’all. I can’t believe no one has mentioned this.

Hi, fellow beauty lover and celiac here! 🙂

First of all, I just want to say that it is SO sweet that you are trying to be vigilant and keep your friend healthy. Trying to eat and live gluten free as a celiac is very difficult and exhausting, so I know that your kindness will mean so much! 🙂

I have a few recommendations, but it also really depends how sensitive your friend is to possible gluten cross-contamination in products. For example, Tarte is a brand where nothing is formulated with gluten, but they also cannot guarantee that their source materials have not been cross-contaminated. So whether or not beauty products contain gluten (and how much) is actually a complicated issue. 

Searching "gluten free" is a good place to start, but I have also found some products on Sephora that come up in this search to still have wheat and barley in the ingredients list, so it is always important to double check the ingredient list! I know it is a lot of work, but just make sure there are no ingredients with: wheat, barley, rye, triticale, or malt. Also, oats do not technically contain gluten but most oats produced in the USA are grown and processed (and thus contaminated) with wheat, so they are aren't safe for celiacs. This means that some products that contain oats and oat derivatives may not be safe for celiacs as well. 

That being said, here are some suggestions (with different levels) depending on how sensitive your friend is:

For makeup items, here are some brands where the products are not formulated with gluten, but they make no claims about possible cross-contamination during processing or with source materials. These brands don't test to make sure they are gluten free: 

Tarte (no products contain gluten), BareMinerals (almost all prodcuts are GF - double check ingredients), Too Faced (most products are GF - double check ingredients), ELF Cosmetics (most are GF -double check ingredients). 

Then there are some companies that will list if a product they make is gluten free (meaning no gluten ingredients), but they also make multiple non-gluten free products, so the chances of cross-contamination because of shared equipment is higher. This includes brands with L'Oreal as a parent company. Some brands like Hourglass and Nars fall into this category. 

Then there are some companies that specifically test their products for the presence of gluten to make sure they are safe for celiacs and below a specific threshold. The only one sold at Sephora that I know of that does this is Bite Beauty - everything they make should be safe for your friend. They have some nice holiday gift sets out now too. For reference, other brands like this (not sold at Sephora) include: Afterglow Cosmetics, Ecco Bella, Red Apple Lipstick, Gabriel Cosmetics, ZuZu Luxe, W3LL People. 

I hope this helps! If you were looking for non-makeup items (haircare, skincare, etc) let me know and I can refer you to a few other brands! 🙂 

@jasleen04 If you type into the search bar on the sephora page "gluten-free" it pulls up a list of all the products that Sephora carries that are specifically gluten free. You can then filter out the makeup products and sort them according to brand, price or reviews. 

https://www.sephora.com/search?keyword=gluten-free&node=1050000

From what I see there that I've tried- NARS, RMS, Tarte, TooFaced, and BareMinerals Foundations. I've also heard amazing things about the Hourglass foundation. I like a lot of the RMS stuff too. Ciate has really nice highlighters and I've heard good things about Jouer products but haven't personally tried them Some of these brands might have more items GF you just might have to check the descriptions individually since they might not be pulling up automatically with the search.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing