cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Super sensitive skincare, help for reactions

Hi, This is my first post, and i'm fairly new to sephora. I have had sensitive skin my entire life, but it's gotten worse as I hit my late 20s and early 30s. I can generally tolerate clinique. I thought I would try cerave eye cream iver the counter from Walgreens (it's supposed to be decent right??). After application, it burned like I had been maced, I looked like I had, and then I looked like someone had punched me. This was yesterday and my face is still aggravated (as in itchy and burning). Does anyone have a routine that helps with angry skin reactions? What is your favorite sensitive skin line? Specifically what eye creams (something that helps with puffiness, dark circles and a little for fine lines). I like clinique because it's mostly scent free and I tolerate it decently I tried the Make up for Ever foundation sample in my playbox. I liked it but didn't love it due to an odd smell and the fact that it doesn't want to come off. I am unable to use anything bought in drug stores for my face, although sometimes I'm able to get by with neutragena spf moisturizers (short term). Any suggestions are helpful to a relative nube. I'm not terribly familiar with higher end brands.

RE: Super sensitive skincare, help for reactions

Hi, I have really sensitive skin too and also have problems with most eye creams burning my eyes. Iโ€™ve been using Benefitโ€™s Itโ€™s Potent eye cream for several years and itโ€™s really the only one Iโ€™ve found that works and doesnโ€™t burn. It doesnโ€™t have a strong smell. I use Josie Maran Argan Oil as my daily facial moisturizer, and for makeup products I use Josie Maran or Tarte. I use a Boscia charcoal face wash and have had good luck with other Boscia products. Hope this helps!

Re: Super sensitive skincare, help for reactions

Welcome, @Anonymous! I have very sensitive skin that is combination dry and oily, prone to acne, and in remission from rosacea. Yep, I won the sensitive skin lottery lol ๐Ÿ˜… However, if you saw me today, youโ€™d have no idea that I have anything but normal skin.

Iโ€™ve found certain skin care products that work so well for my sensitive skin that I get to have almost normal skin most of the time. Here are my favourites ๐Ÿ˜Š

Urban Decay Hot Springs Hydrating Gel (my anytime, general-purpose moisturizer, except before makeup (which is opposite of what UD recommends lol); I often apply it before bed)Urban Decay Hot Springs Hydrating Gel (my anytime, general-purpose moisturizer, except before makeup (which is opposite of what UD recommends lol); I often apply it before bed)

Philosophy Take a Deep Breath Oil-free Oxygenating Gel Cream (my other general-purpose moisturizer; so soothing!)Philosophy Take a Deep Breath Oil-free Oxygenating Gel Cream (my other general-purpose moisturizer; so soothing!)

First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 Bouncy Mask (soothes any irritation I may be having from the sun, cosmetics, etc. and plumps my skin in the process; love it!)First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 Bouncy Mask (soothes any irritation I may be having from the sun, cosmetics, etc. and plumps my skin in the process; love it!)

Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Priming Spray (perfect for when I need just a bit of soothing hydration when Iโ€™m makeup-free and need to give my skin a break from moisturizers)Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Priming Spray (perfect for when I need just a bit of soothing hydration when Iโ€™m makeup-free and need to give my skin a break from moisturizers)

Foreo Luna Mini 2 (I canโ€™t use exfoliating cleansers more than once per month because my skin freaks out; instead, I spray my skin with the UD B6 spray and gently scrub it with this โ€” my skin glows afterward!)Foreo Luna Mini 2 (I canโ€™t use exfoliating cleansers more than once per month because my skin freaks out; instead, I spray my skin with the UD B6 spray and gently scrub it with this โ€” my skin glows afterward!)

Ole Henriksen Balancing Force Oil Control Toner (my skin seems to react better when I use toner 3-4 times per week instead of every day; this is the one I like to use on toner days)Ole Henriksen Balancing Force Oil Control Toner (my skin seems to react better when I use toner 3-4 times per week instead of every day; this is the one I like to use on toner days)

Iโ€™ll leave it at that for now. I hope itโ€™s been helpful. If you want some cosmetics recommendations, let me know. Iโ€™ve got a whole pile of those too โ˜บ๏ธ 

Super sensitive skincare, help for reactions

I have very similar skin. everything either burns me, gives me rashes or swelling. Sweet almond oil is the best thing I've ever used for my eyes. whenever I use it at night my dark circles are gone the next day.

I use Roc eye cream. It has retinol which has helped with my fine lines. I do think it might be too strong for your sensitive skin though.

One product I really recommend that should not give you any reactions is Vichy Mineral 89. It is more of a hydration boost product with hyaluronic acid than a moisturizer so I apply it first and then a moisturizer on top. The good thing about Vichy Mineral 89 is it is only 11 ingredients. I hope this product works for you!

@Anonymous are you aware of what ingredients trigger? Also a 24 hr patch test is your friend. What's your skin type?

Products:

Hydration booster

PTR aloe mask, can be kept in refridge, it's green. The rose (pink) isn't harsh either.

Dermalogica ultracalming line - for sensitive and sensitized skin, cleanser can be used with and without water. 

Neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser and oil-free moisture sensitive skin

H20+

Simple brand

Philosophy purity

Spf: Cotz, Elta MD, mineral spf is typically better for sensitive vs chemical

Makeup: IT Cosmetics, Bare minerals, Physicians formula

What came to mind for sensitive skin, basic products that don't have active ingredients.

You may want to see a dermatologist as well, to help navigate and understand your skin.

Also don't use hot water, which dries out the skin. Cool compress and aloe to soothe.

Anonymous Insider

My skin type is combo normal I believe. I really need to...

My skin type is combo normal I believe. I really need to take the patch test to heart. I've been told that before and just hadn't listened.
Anonymous Insider

Hi @TrysBeautyItems I am not sure what sets my skin off....

Hi @TrysBeautyItems I am not sure what sets my skin off. I just know that over the years I tried a lot of things from the Walmart and drugstore makeup isles that resulted in irritation or rashes. My skin has become extra sensitized since about 4+ years ago. I am unable to use much of anything with a scent (possible chemical sensitivity-have relatives with it). I tried essential oils for a while for cleaning but most of those, except for a little citrus now and again for cleaning cause me to get terribly nauseated. I am getting ready to try a sample of IT cosmetics. It has been years since I have been to a dermatologist. I have very fair skin, and according to an allergist I saw about 3 years ago, it's common for fair skinned people (especially of European descent) to have increased allergic reactions including seasonal, year-round, metal and cosmetics. I have trouble finding jewelry as well (except for surgical steel, or gold). It may be worth speaking with a dermatologist. It is a pain to be going through this again. It feels as though my system is hyper reactive at present. Thank you for your recommendations. I have tried neutragena cleansers, etc in the past but reacted with those. Best!

Re: Hi @TrysBeautyItems I am not sure what sets my skin off....

Maybe get your hormones and vitamin levels checked, to rule those out.

Could go the more elite route, if you haven't, Skin Medica, Skinceuticals, Colorescience, Jan Marini skincare. 

Hey, @Anonymous! So sorry to hear about your reactions! I tend to find that First Aid Beauty is a great skincare line for people with sensitive skin! Their products tend to be more gentle and relatively scent free ๐Ÿ˜Š I love their cleanser, moisturisers and facial radiance pads! As for when my skin gets a little irritated, I tend to apply the Laneige water sleeping mask to help calm it. I've read reviews of people saying they had a reaction to the scent (even though I don't personally smell anything), so I'd recommend testing it on a small area of your face first.

You mentioned foundation as well. I recommend trying out the Bareminerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15. It has a natural finish and you can build the coverage ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hope this helps!

Anonymous Insider

@SpaceLlama I had thought about trying the First Aid Beauty and Laneige lines. I appreciate your recommendation on the sleeping mask, and the scent warning. Sometimes I do react to scented products. This does help!

Thanks So Much!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos6
  • Urban Decay Hot Springs Hydrating Gel (my anytime, general-purpose moisturizer, except before makeup (which is opposite of what UD recommends lol); I often apply it before bed)
  • Philosophy Take a Deep Breath Oil-free Oxygenating Gel Cream (my other general-purpose moisturizer; so soothing!)
  • First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 Bouncy Mask (soothes any irritation I may be having from the sun, cosmetics, etc. and plumps my skin in the process; love it!)
  • Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Priming Spray (perfect for when I need just a bit of soothing hydration when Iโ€™m makeup-free and need to give my skin a break from moisturizers)
  • Foreo Luna Mini 2 (I canโ€™t use exfoliating cleansers more than once per month because my skin freaks out; instead, I spray my skin with the UD B6 spray and gently scrub it with this โ€” my skin glows afterward!)
  • Ole Henriksen Balancing Force Oil Control Toner (my skin seems to react better when I use toner 3-4 times per week instead of every day; this is the one I like to use on toner days)
testing