cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Skincare routine for super sensitive skin

I really need some help. I went to Sephora a few months ago for a makeover, and they went through the skincare portion first because my face was dry, clogged, and needed it badly. So, they used:

Makeup breakup cool cleansing oil

Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash

Ole henriksen pore balance facial sauna scrub &

Ole henriksen sheer transformation perfection moisturizer

My face felt so clean after. So I decided to purchase: the frothy face wash, the facial sauna scrub, and the moisturizer. But when I got home and used the products: my face immediately turned red, felt tight, and burned every night. So, I decided to return all of the products and purchased the Ole henriksen wonderfeel double cleanser thinking it would be better, but I got the same horrible results.

Fast forward a few weeks later, I want to get back into a skin care routine. I purchase something a little cheaper: Neutrogena hydro boost water gel and cleanser. Yet again, my face was red, tight, and burning. I even tried just a face Mask from FAB and it yielded the same results. Then, after all of that, I purchased an aveeno ultra calming moisturizer, and yes, you guessed it! Red, burning, dry, tight skin. Oh, and dove bars barely work either. 

Therefore, I am completely stumped. I need something soon because my under eyes are starting to get dull and dark, my skin is peeling on my cheeks and forehead, and it just feels uncomfortable when I don't have makeup on. Do you have any recommendations for a skincare routine for my allergy ridden, sensitive, burning, 18 year old, face? 

RE: Skincare routine for super sensitive skin

Using that many new products at once may have damaged your skin’s protective barrier. (Went through something similar a while back.) I would avoid using anything with any kind of acid in it for a while, and stay away from physical exfoliants (scrubs, etc) until your skin recovers. It may take a while to recover. Look for a super gentle cleanser and moisturizer in the mean time to help your skin recuperate. Simple’s micellar cleanser and Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser cooperated with my skin when I damaged my skin barrier a while back, but they may not work for everyone so take that advice with a grain of salt.

I found out that my skin is triggered by touch/manual exfoliation and temperature- so it may be worth it to physically be gentle with your skin while switching a regimen

I've heard Origins and OLEHENRIKSON are great brands, but some if their products include perfumes and sometimes artificial coloring. If you can afford it, Drunk Elephant's cleansers (any) are great and gentle. the Soy face cleanser by Fresh is a middle end but very effective and gentle cleanser. Fresh also has a youth preserve with lotus face cream that is great for younger skin. but for damaged skin, I would recommend (again, if you can afford it) Drunk Elephant's lala retro whipped moisturizer. it's super nourishing. it really helped me out when my face broke out in eczema after being clear for years. I would say the investment is incredibly worth it though!

Hi there! I understand what you mean- flushing & red skin & irritation. This year alone, I must have spent 400$ on products just to finally settle- I hope- on 1 brand: First Aid Beauty! I have a type of rosacea that is acnéique & is super delicate. I also live in Canada where winters are pretty bad on the skin. I’ve purchased several brands ( low & high end). Some cleansers worked while moisturizers did not. Here are my finds: Good cleansers: Cetaphil, Marcelle & Laroche-Posay Toleriane. Good moisturizers: currently trying First Aid Beauty- my skin has a low tolerance for moisturizers so we’ll see. Good masks: b Kamins & today tried First Aid Beauty’s instant oatmeal mask! Not worth buying: Darphin intral cream & serum = too perfumy! Fresh Rose moisturizer: perfumy! Dr. Brandt’s night mask: made skin break out. My skin was also irritated by moisturizers in the Toleriane line. Tomorrow, I will try the spf 40 & moisturizer by First Aid Beauty. ...wish me luck & good luck to you as well!

Re: Skincare routine for super sensitive skin

It could be an allergy. I am allergic to papaya and didn't realize how many skincare products use this. I'm not even sure if I have sensitive skin or if I've just been using products to which I have allergies. I used a Clinique product recently and didn't realize it and my face was so red and I got a rash all over my forehead and cheeks. Check the ingredients for the products and see what they have in common and then avoid and see if that helps. 

Try using a gentle cream cleanser like Cerave or La Rroche Posay Toleriane, eliminate any scrubs and masks, use a very gentle moisturizer like First Aid Beauty Facial Moisturizer. I tried the Frothy Face Wash and it really dried out my skin which is normal to dry. Are you using any prescription topicals? If you need makeup remover, try a miceller water or wipes. I like the Simple Miceller wipes on eye makeup only. Your cleanser will take off your other face makeup. Good Luck!

Check out Drunk Elephant! I’ve been reading their website and Instagram and it’s been super helpful for my excessively sensitive skin!

check the ingredients you may be sensitive to salycic acid and willow herb which is a natural salycic acid. try using products with sulphur instead for acne. it does the same job but its much more skin friendly. also the line avene is great for very reactive skin they also have an acne line. you can get it online or at a drugstore.

It sounds like maybe your skin barrier is damaged - I would start trying to restore it w/ some The Ordinary products since they are cheap. I would test out their Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5,100% Cold-Pressed Marula Oil and/or 100% Plant-Derived Squalane. I would stay away from any acids, alcohols or antioxidants like vitamin C. 

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing