From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Should I stop using the ordinary chemical peel?

I switched to a Chemical Exfoliant over a month ago, and after hearing so much about the ordinary, I decided to try the chemical peel. I started off slowly since its too strong - once a week, leaving it on for 5mins, and I still follow the same routine.

However, I have noticed that my skin has gotten extremely dry and textured. I used to have an oily T zone, but now it's all dry, textured and I see lots of fine lines and my dark spots seem darker. I have been breaking out but I was expecting them since its common when you start using acids. 

I currently use First Aid beauty intense repair cream, with a luxury facial oil. I follow with SPF the next day. I don't currently use but planning to include - a Vitamin C serum and hyaluronic acid serum in my routine.

Should I stop using it and incorporate a different product - like the Dr. Dennis Acid Peels? Or should I opt for heavier moisturizers? Or should I keep using it but add the vitamin C serum and hyaluronic acid to provide more hydration?

Thanks 

xoxo

Re: Should I stop using the ordinary chemical peel?

@Missy234 - YES you should stop using the ordinary 30% aha weekly. I know that it says you can use it weekly but the majority of people should only use it once a month. It is the equivalent to a chemical peel which you would only do monthly. A lot of aestheticians have spoken out about this.

If youre skin is changing texture dramatically you've likely damaged your skin barrier and should not incorporate new exfoliants. If you can I'd highly recommend going to a dermatologist and try to fix your skin barrier before you bring back any chemical exfoliants.

RE: Should I stop using the ordinary chemical peel?

When you first use the ordinary peeling solution you have to be familiar with other acids like Latin acid or glycolic acid for example. Going start into it without doing anything can cause severe damage to the skin, same if you leave it on for to long. If you are familiar with those acids, then you can use them. Do a patch test on the back of your hand and if it starts burning take it off. But if it doesn’t you can continue using it on the face. Start with 5 minutes then every other week or so, go more by 7-8 minutes up to 10 minutes. Don’t go over 10 minutes. When you are don’t do NOT apply any other acids like serum or toner just put on a moisturizer and sunscreen. Sunscreen is very important especially when you are doing a chemical exfoliant. I hope this helped.

I personally love the Dr Dennis Gross peels! I just am in love with them. I also have used the ordinary peel. I actually use both of these products. Neither one of them has ever given me acne. Any time a product breaks me out, I stop using it. My guess is that the peel is over drying your skin and causing it to produce more oil and thus making you breakout. The lack of moisture may also mean your skin looks less plump. I know people say that when something breaks you out its purging your skin. But that has never been the case for me, I just keep breaking out. So I personally think the whole purge thing is bogus. I say stop using it. It's a strong peel. I do know that it does over dry your skin if your face is wet or your in a steamy room. Maybe try their mandelic acid (its a really mild acid that you can use daily) or Dr Dennis Gross peels (which are amazing). I use the regular ones, but if they're too strong they also have a sensitive skin one, but the ingredients are very different.  I say if your looking to add vitamin C do that too. Vitamin c is great for fighting hyper-pigmentation. But it likely won't change what your seeing with the peel. Id recommend rose hip seed oil. I don't really recommend hyluronic acid. For me it just breaks me out. But other people love it. And it is really plumping. If your skin is dry, you should use a lotion in the morning too. One that isn't so heavy. 

Please go discuss with a derm, even digitally, if you can, @Missy234!!

It is possible that the acids are causing the dryness etc. Especially as it sounds like you aren't following up with a moisturizer until the next morning? It can be really helpful to help against irritation from chemical exfoliators to follow up with moisture layers.

It might be best to stop using the acid peel for a bit and nourish your skin. Focus on gentle cleansing, add a hydrating serum, seal it in with a moisturizer containing ceramides. SPF always and reapply. At night add a salve or sleeping mask in addition to the serum and moisturizer.

Let your skin heal and then maybe go in with a less intense AHA and or BHA. The Ordinary has a lactic acid serum which is a gentle AHA, as an example in the same budget range.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing