Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Rosacea?

I’m 99% positive I have Rosacea. Every time I wear makeup or use something slightly abrasive to clean my face, my skin gets bumpy (not pimples), itchy, red and feels like I have a shell on my face. What do you girls do? What makeup brands are good for rosacea? I have a combination skin type.

Re: Rosacea?

This sounds like an allergic reaction, not rosacea @CrystalLee89   Rosacea generally doesn’t occur over the entire face.  If you go to a dermatologist they might be able to figure out what is causing it so that you can avoid whatever ingredients are to blame.  Anything abrasive (even a soft washcloth) can be too much for some people’s skin. 

RE: Rosacea?

Crystal try using the unscented dr. Bronners pure castile soap. That stuff is a god send. It might make you a tad dry so find a good moisturizer but it makes a huge difference. It sounds like you have the second subtype is rosacea (papulopustular) people mistake it for acne often but acne products will make it worse and things like alcohol can further irritate your skin. Some people find some luck with topicals like metrogel, but you may need oral antibiotics depending on the severity. Good luck!

Faithful sunblock application was my new year's resolution, and it has led to definite reductions in my facial redness. Applying right after waking up and prepping my face, and reapplication after every two hours of sun exposure, is the goal for me. I believe this is working, so much better than my old style of applying it only once a day.

(I would mention a brand, but I have a ton of brands that I use, it must be two dozen. Straight sunblock for face and for body, sunscreen facial moisturizers, foundations and bb creams with spf.... I have been meaning to gather them up and make a post about them, and look for a thread about sunblock to post in perhaps.)

I have even started applying sunblock before bed if I stay up really late. Afaik it will be effective at least for 2 hours against any uv rays that manage to filter through the blinds while I'm lolling about in bed, sleeping in. I really feel sunblock is the primary anti-aging treatment that I should give my skin.

A particular product -- I spray Caudalie grape water on my face when I have a flare up. It is so soothing, and it is great for all sorts of things. Very refreshing. Doesn't make that redness totally vanish, but feels so much better after applying.

Once I had a very bad reaction to a skin cream on my neck and chest. It was so bad, my husband noticed it and mentioned that it looked painful -- and it was, very painful. I went and got my grape water and sprayed it on there. Not long after, like within 20 minutes, my skin was back to looking normal. My husband was amazed. I took the opportunity to mention the bottle was $18 "and worth every penny" lol.

@CrystalLee89

@CrystalLee89,

I do suggest visiting a dermatologist like everyone suggested and I recommend consulting with them before trying any new products!

I also recommend the Clinique Redness solutions line. It is fragrance free and is formulated to calm redness on the skin.

https://www.sephora.com/product/redness-solutions-soothing-cleanser-P201439?skuId=1066711&icid2=prod...

CLINIQUE Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream

https://www.sephora.com/product/redness-solutions-daily-relief-cream-P201440?skuId=1066729&icid2=pro...

❤️ Melissa

@CrystalLee89

Agreeing with @TexasMeow, go see a dermatologist.

I did to be diagnosed. I do not, however have the prescription face cream, because it was expensive and my insurance didn't cover it. I do have something in case it flares. But you need to see what they suggest.

Most likely, the basic protocol will be to be extra gentle to your skin, so brands like Cerave and wearing sunscreen. I step out a tiny bit with Mentholatum Hado Labo Gokujyun lotion, but it was created for medical purposes and is a hyaluronic lotion (more like a serum.)

I don't wear foundation all the time. Being extra gentle and not really doing much else with my skin, it looks fine. If I excite it with too much activity, I get redness, and depending on the product - the itching and bumps. 

I use Nars tinted moisturizer for days I want a little coverage. I do have some slightly larger visible pores that I prime a little, but otherwise, if I don't need it on my skin, I don't put it there. The less you do to rosacea skin, the better, especially around the cheeks and nose.

My own routine (but you'll want to test and make sure you do what works for you):
~wash with extra gentle cleanser (honestly, baby wash would work)
~Use Hado Labo lotion, either rub it on gentle or use as a sheet mask
~moisturize (I use either Cerave/Cerave PM or Gold Bond Restoring, sometimes even baby oil if it's extra dry (but only at night, as I'm an oil slick for a few hours with it.)
Every now and then, I will use a very gentle exfoliant but very rarely. I'll try to moisturize before I do that. I also use a sheet mask from Korea once or twice a week - only ones that cause maybe slight redness for a few minutes, but nothing too drastic.

Sorry this is long. I've lived with it for about 20 years, so I've had to learn - all the nice shiny skincare things I see in Sephora, I typically can't use. IT cosmetics was created by someone with rosacea, so it's likely you'll have luck there. 

Hope you can find some help and relieve. The itchy, burning and bumps are no fun at all. But they will calm down. Just be extra gentle to your skin and it will improve. Best to you.

I'm sorry, I forgot one more thing. The moisturizers I use, Cerave or Gold Bond restoring one, both have ceramides in it. The best thing you can do for your skin is to build up the skin barrier, ceramides helps with it. It'll keep the bad stuff out and the good stuff in. Rosacea peeps definitely need help with that.

RE: Rosacea?

I would recommend the dermatologist! They can give you medication to help clear things up, keep it from coming back! Then try brands known to be good for rosacea like FAB and Drunk Elephant, I think IT Cosmetics too. BareMinerals original foundation has been good for me. Only introduce one new thing at a time so that your skin doesn’t freak out and you know what triggers you.
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing