Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

My skin hates sunscreen

When I put sunscreen on my face it almost instantly starts to itch, it doesn't get red but over they day, small bumps form over my forehead and cheeks. My skin is then extremely sensitive to the touch.  I'm fair and burn easily so this is real problem!  This only happens on my face, I can wear any king of sunscreen on my body. 

Looking for suggestions.

Re: My skin hates sunscreen

I find the Tarte tarteguard and the drunk elephant ones are super gentle on my skin. 

@SylviaB20 most sunscreen make be breakout which is unfortunate because I work outdoors. I've had great results with Dr  Dennis Gross instant radiance sun defence.

Neutrogena's sensitive skin sunscreen was an absolute lifesaver to my face when I was in Belize. I used it every few hours and I really only got burned on my ears and nose. I am also incredibly fair skinned.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've now tried a mineral based sunscreen on my face that I had bought and been afraid to try and I haven't had a reaction. It does leave a very persistent white cast on my skin so I'm now looking through reviews etc. for one that doesn't do that (or does it less). 

@SylviaB20 Tinted spf. Elta MD and Cotz both have spf made for sensitized skin. Colorescience is another option, tinted and powder formula. Also Australian Gold Botanical.

@SylviaB20

I'm fair-to-light in complexion, and I really love Tarte Tarteguard, but it is fragranced. I think Coola/Bare Republic and Supergoop also make good mineral sunscreens that don't leave a white cast on me. If you are staying away from fragranced products, you might like Drunk Elephant. All of these brands also make versions that are tinted, too.

My skin hates sunscreen

@SylviaB20 You've had some great suggestions, especially the zinc sunscreen. I'll only add that it's more common to have reactions on the face than body, so you're likely reacting to the sunscreen base. Seeing an allergist would be ideal, but if you can't, look for sunscreens with zinc & as few ingredients as possible then patch test them for a few days. Good luck!

@SylviaB20

Are you reacting to ALL sunscreens? Or particular type? 

I personally can't use chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone) or I will get a rash, so I make sure to stick to physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide or preferably zinc oxide, which has an added bonus of being quite soothing).

I hear some people are allergic to zinc sunscreens, so in that case try the other options. 

@SylviaB20Have you tried using a setting spray that has sunscreen in it?

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing