Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help me with the ordinary!

I have pretty sensitive skin but I’ve played around with AHA and BHAs before. I have bought and used the ordinary niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% before. It was fine but I haven't seen any results for my dark spots and I’m almost done with the bottle, it doesn’t burn my skin but weirdly enough if I put moisturizer on, it somewhat burns but goes away after a bit. Im pretty sure thats not good but I just leave it on anyways. I want to try their lactic acid and AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution but I don’t know how my skin will react. Theres a 5% and 10% version for the lactic acid. Can someone tell me their experience with these products? And which percentage do you guys think I should get? Also please recommend some drugstore moisturizers if you have sensitive, acne prone, combination skin!! Im just trying to get rid of a bunch of dark spots and a few pimples, any other skincare suggestions would be lovely! The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Re: Help me with the ordinary!

@Cindyy101  Which other AHAs have you tried before? I’m just trying to get a sense of what strength and type of AHA hasn’t irritated your skin in the past—or if they did make your skin angry, which ones were they? 

Meanwhile, I can recommend some drugstore moisturizers. These (and really any moisturizer) work best when applied to damp skin, which gives moisturizers some hydration to seal in. 

CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (you can use it morning and night) - contains dimethicone as an occlusive ingredient, plus sodium hyaluronate (my skin’s favorite humectant), niacinamide, and ceramides to boost skin’s moisture barrier. 

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream - its occlusives are dimethicone and petrolatum, and it contains sodium hyaluronate and ceramides. 

Vanicream Moisturizing Cream - its occlusive ingredient is petrolatum. My dermatologist has recommended this to me, especially for times when my combo skin’s in bad reaction or increased inflammation mode. 

"But don't petrolatum and dimethicone clog pores?" Nope. Petrolatum is much more occlusive than dimethicone, which is why the former's often more appreciated by folks with dry skin. But both ingredients can help your skin retain hydration, especially petrolatum. Seriously, nothing's more occlusive than petrolatum, and it's non-comedogenic. So is dimethicone. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention shea butter moisturizers! Shea butter is also a great occlusive ingredient. I know folks who buy raw shea butter (it's quite inexpensive), soften and whip it in a food processor, and use it as a moisturizer. But I prefer my moisturizers to contain at least a couple other beneficial ingredients. This month I'm testing The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL which is basically a shea butter moisturizer. I'm on day 3 of using it AM and PM and, so far, my skin likes it. There are other shea butter moisturizers on the market, but I thought I'd mention The Inkey List's for its low price point. 

Hi! Thank you so much for replying, to answer your question, I've used a lot of AHAs and BHAs but depending on the day, it will or won't burn. I know its weird and I don't know why but sometimes the product will burn my skin and other days it won't, I tend to keep my skincare routine the same with stuff I know is okay for my skin but I only change the AHAs/BHAs often because it never feels right for my skin. The few products I've used that contain a type of acid are the Cosrx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, and The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution. Those are all I remember at the moment but like I said my skin varies on the day, the Cosrx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid and The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution were okay on my skin but after a week or so, they started burning on certain days so I had to stop using them. Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is what I'm using now, it's perfectly fine and has never burned my skin but it never dries and just sits on top of my skin, making it very greasy. I don't use these products all at the same time, I use them one at a time and not every day.

Hi @Cindyy101

Niacinamide can take awhile to have a noticable impact and I found for hyperpigmentation it works best with a tyrosinase inhibitor like vitamin c or azelaic acid. I've had the niacinamide tingle/burn before too and it's not usually the product causing the damage just additional irritation on a sensitive area (for me at least).

Personal opinion if you are not accustomed to a chemical exfoliant do NOT get the 30% AHA peel. It is extremely strong and if your skin isn't used to that level of acidity you can full on burn your face. I'd recommend starting with a 5% and then if you think you need additional exfoliation move up to the 10%. You can always mix the 5% into a body lotion and use it everrryyywherre for all over exfoliation! 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing