Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help me!! Super bad reaction to a face wash!

I starting using a new cleanser a few days ago; Philosophy Clear DaysAhead. Initially it left my skin a little dry, slightly bumpy and tight. But I applied serum and moisturizer and it seemed okay. A few hourslater I noticed some white heads had appeared, I mean yes I get acne but NEVER white heads.. so this was weird but I thought maybe my skin was purging so whatever, I didn’t think much of them. The next morning whenI was getting ready for work I noticed how flakey my skin looked and how tight feeling it still was, I applied more serum and moisturizer than usual, and applied my makeup. That night when I washed my face again my skin felt so tight and dry, and again, a little later I noticed MORE white heads had appeared. I was getting really annoyed with all these whiteheads. I used a face mask and it helped with the dryness, the whiteheads. I was thinking okay, I’ll try one more night but if this gets worse I need to stop ASAP. So the next night (last night) I used the cleanser again, and same thing; tightness, dryness, my skin was bumpy/gritty feeling and now (and I am not joking or exaggerating one bit) my ENTIRE chin and under my nose, as well as a bit on my cheeks were covered in white heads! My skin also felt like it was on fire.. So red and sensitive. Today, I woke up to it still red, still hurting, still dry and flakey, and MORE whiteheads! I want to cry. My skin is in chaos, it is the worst it’s ever been. I want to cover my head with a bag until it clears up. Every serum, cream, mask, spray etc. that I use is making my skin BURN. Even just putting a cold face cloth on my skin makes it hurt. I don’t know what to do. I tried my favourite hydrating mask by Peter Thomas Roth earlier and it helped a bit but it burned so bad. I don’t know what to do. It’s so dry I don’t want to not put anything at all on it, I want to keep it moisturized but everything burns! Any recommendations? EDIT: yes I have stopped using it... I thought that was pretty obvious considering how badly I reacted to it. I’m not asking whether or not if I should continue to use it; I threw it out. I was asking for recommendations of gentle products to use or maybe something that you did if you had a similar experience.

Re: Help me!! Super bad reaction to a face wash!

I concur with others on this thread -- you are having an allergic reaction to the product and should stop using it immediately.  I was chemically injured at work three years ago and developed extremely sensitive skin.  Not a doctor but I anticipate you have contact dermatitis right now. 

In order for your face to heal, I highly recommend using products that are gentle and fragrance free.  In the short term to help your face heal that you use a gentle, fragrance free cleanser.  Some do ok with FAB, but if you are looking for a cheaper alternative you may want to try Cetaphil or Cerave.  Some do well with La Roche Toleriane line.  I also recommend that you use a fragrance free, gentle moisturizer.  I've used Aveeno baby cream as well as Eucerin baby cream - the reason for the "baby cream" is that it has fewer skin irritants than the "adult" versions of the products.  Cetaphil and CeraVe also have face lotions. Vanacream is a great skin barrier.  Using a skin barrier will help your skin heal and retain the moisture it needs.  You can use a lotion or cream under the barrier.   Hope this helps and you begin to feel better.

@samkeaysxo  Yikes! The gentlest mask I've tried is the REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL... I use it if I get a little sunburned. Sorry to hear you had such an awful reaction 😞

@samkeaysxo Definitely don't use that cleanser anymore.  Here is the review from beautypedia (it got 1/5 stars) - see spoiler.  I rec First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL.  It's very gentle but effective.

Spoiler

@samkeaysxo That philosophy contains citrus, could be a citrus allergy. Even with cleansers, work up usage. For now, baby the skin. No active ingredients and aloe.

People who are allergic to citrus fruit peels may experience symptoms of contact dermatitis if they come in contact with the peel of citrus fruit. Allergic contact dermatitis is caused by your skin releasing inflammatory chemicals after coming into contact with an allergen. Symptoms include:

• skin redness
  • skin that burns
  • extreme itching
  • dry, scaly, flaky skin
  • swelling
  • blisters

@samkeaysxo You are having an allergic reaction to Salicylic Acid - I'm not a doctor however I looked up your symptoms (minus the whiteheads). 

Stop using salicylic acid topical and call your doctor at once if you have:

• severe headache, ringing in your ears, problems with hearing, thinking problems;
  • severe stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea;
  • a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
  • shortness of breath; or
  • severe burning, dryness, or irritation of the skin

The face wash contsins Salicylic Acid, I'm assuming you've never used a product containing SA before. 

RE: Re: Help me!! Super bad reaction to a face wash!

Hmm, well I have used SA many times before in spot treatments and a few other cleansers, no issues before now. I woke up this morning and my skin is still super dry and tight but no longer red, and it doesn’t burn when I put cream on. I haven’t had any of the other symptoms you mentioned either.

Re: RE: Re: Help me!! Super bad reaction to a face wash!

Try the FAB ultra repair! I have dermatitis (but chronic unfortunately). I have a prescription cream from the derm but it makes me sensitive to the sun. She suggested anything with colloidal oatmeal to soothe the skin for the day time. I dab that on in the morning and carry it around in case  I feel I need it during the day. Also I have Mario Badescu rose water and aloe mist which I carry around and that does a nice soothing job as well for the rest redness and burning. edit: I forgot but I had a sample of the DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Creamwhich I used for a few days and it felt really nice too. It’s just much more expensive than the FAB mini, and I believe then FAB also contains ceramides

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing