Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help! Moisturizers making eyes tear. Suggestions?

I turned 50 (yeah) and have just started using serums and a completely new face care regime. I have forever used just Clinique face wash, clarifying lotion and gel moisturizer. Everything I get near my eyes is making them tear and weep. My serums seem to be fine. I keep them far enough away from my eyes not to hurt, but eye creams & moisturizers are killing my eyes. I want to step away from the Clinique gel moisturizer and go with something more hydrating. I have the Mario Baduescu HA eye cream but too close to my eyes I am a teary mess. I have tried several new moisturizers and they all make me tear. Should I just stick to the Clinique line? Any suggestions on moisturizers and eye creams that won’t hurt my eyes or make them tear? Thank you so much for your time.

Re: Help! Moisturizers making eyes tear. Suggestions?

Hi @Missalla,

That is a great question. You generally don't want to apply eye cream too close to the eye, as that increases chances of irritation. I'd recommend looking into an eye cream that is a Clean at Sephora product which means it has ingredients that many people are trying to avoid. I really like the Farmacy Dew It All Total Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

It's a great anti aging eye cream that is formulated with naturally derived ingredients.

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

@Missalla Did the products that make you tear up contain fragrance? Do you have fragrance allergies/sensitivities? That is one of the main culprits, especially if you have sensitive eyes/respiratory system.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried many (Kate Somerville, Belif, Shiseido, Clarins) & they must have fragrances in them, as most do have scents. Most on Sephora do not state if they are to be avoided in the eye area, so I was hoping someone had some suggestions. 

@Missalla Then it sounds like fragrance is the main culprit, so try to go fragrance free and see how it goes (my eyes also burn and tear if when I encounter most fragrant products). LRP and Perricone MD are good brands to try that @TrysBeautyItems suggested. Cerave, DHC, Drunk Elephant, and First Aid Beauty are some other brands that make fragrance-free moisturizers and/or eye creams!

Thank you for the reply. I did get some products from La Roche Posay.... Toleriane Ultra Eye Cream for Sensitive Skin, the Hydraphase Intense Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizers in Light as well as Riche Cream and the Anthelios AOX Antioxidant Serum SPF 50.

ALL SAFE!!

None of these are hurting my eyes or causing tearing or weepiing. I do keep the sunscreen clear of my eyes though.

I wish Sephora would carry La Roche Posay!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

@Missalla which clarifying lotion? The majority of them contain high amounts of alcohol denatured, the drying kind. Could be why your eyes are reacting. Products that once worked can backfire at anytime.

Thanks for the relply. I have not used my Clinique clarifying lotion since starting my new regime. It seems to be the eye creams and moisturizers irritating my eyes. 

@Missalla do your eyes water at other times, without using products? Try a warm compress and might need a rx eye drop.

Perricone MD has a hypoallergenic eye cream. La Roche posay brand is made for sensitive skin, no fragrance  nor irritants. Clinique is just fragrance free. Remember to get samples 🙂

Thank you so much. Yes my eyes do water a lot. I will ask the eye doc about it & I will check out La Roche & Perricone.

I have always teared from every eye cream I have ever used (for over 40 years!) except one I happened to see recommended on a sensitive skin msg board. It is : Nuture My Body Unscented Eye Cream (online only).  Wish I could find a mainstream that is available everywhere.   

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing