Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Good toner for sensitive skin?

I'm in my mid-twenties and recently started a skincare regimen beyond just washing+moisturizing my face. I was always scared to use too many products since my skin is so sensitive. I've started using the fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 mL and sometimes it burns right after I apply. Does this happen to anyone else after applying toner? Maybe I'm using it wrong?

Re: Good toner for sensitive skin?

@SarahForsha Seconding what @greeneyedgirl107 and @WinglessOne said about the fragrance. The fragrant rose oil could also be a possible trigger.

My favorite hydrating toner that's great for sensitive skin is Hada Labo's Hyaluronic Acid "lotion" toner! I apply it onto my damp face with my hands. It also matches the natural pH of your skin at around pH of 5.0 (your skin is happiest between pH 4.5-5.5).

It’s probably the rose flower oil + added fragrance that’s irritating your skin. My skin also hates this toner: I patch tested a sample for 2 days before giving up on it. I did a patch test (on my neck, near my jawline) because I knew this stuff contains lots of rose fragrance and oil, both of which typically make my face angry. I wanted to see if it contained too much of those irritants for me to use. Sadly, it does. I should’ve known just by smelling the sample. 😄 

Folks have offered some good suggestions in this thread. I currently use Indie Lee CoQ-10 Toner 4.2 oz/ 125 mL with no issues. Whichever toner (or other skincare products) you choose to try, be sure to patch test them for at least 2 weeks before putting them on your face. I patch test either on my neck, jawline, or chest, and I usually test for 3-4 weeks. For a new toner I suspect might irritate my skin, I make sure to wash my patch test area with the cleanser I already use all over my face; then I apply the toner to the test area, and apply the rest of my skincare routine to that area (as well as the rest of my face, of course). That way, I can also see how the new product plays with my current skincare products. I almost always do this with new serums and moisturizers. 

@SarahForsha Like @greeneyedgirl107  Essences are a great choice, and so is Paula's choice. My go-to toner has always been from Aveda- super gentle for normal to oily (they also have one for dry to normal) but I can't say that it does much except leave me feeling refreshed. Another favorite was Farmacy's skin dew. My guess with the toner is you maybe have some kind of allergy to roses or possibly some part of the plant?

@SarahForsha Like @greeneyedgirl107  Essences are a great choice, and so is Paula's choice. My go-to toner has always been from Aveda- super gentle for normal to oily (they also have one for dry to normal) but I can't say that it does much except leave me feeling refreshed. Another favorite was Farmacy's skin dew. My guess with the toner is you maybe have some kind of allergy to roses or some part of the plant maybe?

Yes, that could be it. The in-store esthetician recommended this one to me after I told him just how sensitive my skin is. I'll look into the Farmacy toner!

@SarahForsha "Fragrance" is listed, which could be bothering you.  Personally, I've never had good luck with toners.  Of course, I've tried many that I didn't know at the time were crummy - like Clinique Clarifying Lotion.  I didn't care for Murad or the two I tried from Neutrogena.  I'm trying to dip my toe into the water after years of being afraid, and have started with Paula's Choice.  I tried their Pore-Refining Toner and so far so good, but it hasn't been long enough.  You could also try an essence, as the lines between toners, essences and serums seem to be getting more and more blurred.  Good luck!  🙂

@SarahForsha Nothing in the ingredient list is popping out to me as an obvious irritant. What cleanser are you using, and how does your skin feel afterwards (without applying anything else)? I'm wondering if it's too harsh and drying for you, and that's causing the burning sensation when you put on another product. 

Thanks for the help! Hmm, I use Purpose which is sold in drugstores and has been gentle on my skin for years. Do you think I should be waiting a bit longer between washing and toning?

Hmm, that is a gentle cleanser, so perhaps it’s the rose or fragrance in the toner that’s bothering you. For my sensitive skin and rosacea, I like the Avene Gentle Toner, which isn’t sold at Sephora. I’ve also heard good things about Paula’s Choice Enriched Calming Toner from friends with sensitive skin, but I haven’t used it myself.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing