Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Exfoliating and using retinol

Can you use an exfoliating scrub and retinol? I’ve read mixed reviews on you should or should not be using an exfoliating scrub while using a retinol cream.

RE: Exfoliating and using retinol

I use a gentle physical exfoliating scrub and retinol without issue and I have very sensitive skin prone to burning and redness if I use something too harsh. I find the scrub helps to remove dry flakes to let the retinol penetrate my skin more effectively. I would caution using a scrub with chemical exfoliants along with retinol (or with AHA/BHA serums), as that can increase sensitivity. Like another poster recommended, add the retinol to your routine slowly.

Re: Exfoliating and using retinol

@tarobbins8707 totally agree with @suzyo , there's no hard and fast rule saying you shouldn't use them at the same time.  It's just that both have the potential to cause skin irritation/inflammation and putting them together might be too much.  However, skin tolerance changes over time (just like alcohol tolerance, haha):  the more you drink, the more you can tolerate over time.

a good way to safely test this out is to phase them in gradually into your normal routine.  Start with the retinol once a week, then twice a week, and so on.  If your skin still feels fine (no redness, peeling, flaking) then continue with the retinol and try the exfoliator once a week, then twice a week, etc.  Make sure you have a default skin routine of gentle products you can fall back to if needed.

Re: Exfoliating and using retinol

@tarobbins8707  I wish I could give you a straight answer, but it really depends on your skin. People tolerate things differently, that’s why you’re seeing mixed information. The only way to know is to try. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing