Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Best essence to recommend?

I have normal to dry skin! Anyone can suggest a good essence. I tried the fresh kombucha one and it irritated my skin! TIA!

Re: Best essence to recommend?

@mizzbubu Blithe makes two that I'm a fan of, the Vital Treatment Essence for Lifting and....the other one I can't recall. The beans one is my favorite, I'm on my second bottle, it has a nice viscosity too that feels so soothing when I pat it on my face. I layer it with the Caudalie essence, also lovely, much thinner. 

I second this suggestion - I really like the Blithe Essence 

RE: Best essence to recommend?

Skii is the only thin for me im super senstive and my skin react even to clean products

Skii is the best no break outs
Anonymous Insider

Try the bodyshop Vitamin E aqua boost Essense. Vitamin E is spectacular for dry skin.

@mizzbubu, SK-II is great! I also like Missha's Time Revolution First Treatment which is very similar and more affordable. Good luck!

Sk ii essence works great and I have dry sensitive skin

Many women on here have recommended the Pyunkang Yul essence. Well, they are right, it is awesome! Sooo hydrating and makes your skin feel so nice afterward. It does not irritate my skin at all. You can get it for under $18 on Amazon, just make sure you purchase from a reputable seller with positive ratings (to ensure authenticity).

@mizzbubu According to beautypedia, some of the best essences are:

Clinique Even Better Essence Lotion (in both Very Dry to Dry Combination, and Combination to Oily)

Estee Lauder Nutritious Radiant Vitality Essence Oil

Paula's Choice Brightening Essence

For those of us who continue to be a little mystified by "essences," I Googled it to learn more and liked this article on Elle:

Spoiler

Sounds like some sort of magical potion, but facial essences have been popular in the Asian skincare market for years.

So what exactly is a facial essence?

It's a lightweight, hydrating liquid, designed to help prepare skin for your moisturiser, post cleansing. Think of your skin like a sponge - once cleansed and dried, a dry sponge cannot as easily absorb moisture compared to a slightly damp one. Essence is the hydrating layer that properly primes the skin to best absorb your fancy serums and creams.

If you're already a 3-step convert, you might be wondering how a face essence is different from your toner. Totally fair question.

They're both a lightweight liquid and although they can feel quite similar, they have different purposes and contain different ingredients.

Toner is used to remove last traces of cleanser and is essentially water, enhanced with essential oils and often alcohol for quick drying. A facial essence may feel a bit more creamy compared to toner and contains higher levels of active ingredients, designed to penetrate deeper into the skin.

A face essence instantly balances the skin after cleansing and toning, adding hydration and priming the skin.

How do I use a facial essence?

Whether you're ready for the full Korean 10-step routine or not, an essence is an easy addition to your day that doesn't take up a lot of time. It's commonly used after toner, but not on a cotton pad – not only would that waste your precious potion, but Asian skincare experts have come up with a more effective method.

Place a couple of drops into your palms and press the essence into your face until absorbed. The heat of your hands and gentle facial pressure can help the product to penetrate the skin, whilst boosting circulation.

Which facial essence is best for me?

Like the huge choice of moisturisers and cleansers available, there is a face essence to address most skin concerns.

The most popular? The face essences for brightening, hydrating or firming.

For dry skin - Use a moisturising essence, packed full of hyaluronic acid, on dehydrated skin that's been doing overtime.

For dull skin - If you've got dull skin in need of radiance, look for an essence that contains brightening pearl pigments and zingy botanicals to wake your morning skin up.

Try the Laneige Water Bank Essence. Its really moisturizing and great for sensitive skin! I love it and a little goes a long way. Hope that helps!

Have you compared to any other essences?

Have you compared to other products?

No I have not! 😞 bad experience so I didn’t look for another one! 

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 26 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing