Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Ulta GWPs

This thread will be for Ulta GWPs only.  Share ulta promos here.  

Please do NOT post requests for the spreadsheet in this thread.  Please post requests for the Ulta GWP google spread sheet in this thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Ulta-GWP-Google-Spreadsheet-Request-Thread/m-p/2753063#M11...

A list of in store coupons is here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Savvy-Shoppers/Ulta-GWP-Coupons-no-chatter/td-p/3866521

Let's keep this thread on topic!

Ulta points refresher (because yes, it is that complicated):

Spoiler

Item #1 - $53.50

Item #3 - $108.50 (and is eligible for a certain item/brand 5x multiplier)

* There is also a 5x all purchase multiplier and you are platinum so you get 1.25x

Total Spent - $162

Base Points Earned - 162

Platinum .25x Earned - 41 (162 * .25 = 40.5, and rounding up)

5x All Purchases Earned - 648 (it ends up being 4x because you don't count the base points)

5x Item/Brand Earned - 434

Total Points Earned - 1285

Links are not allowed.  In lieu of links, please read this:

Spoiler

Please add product id numbers and sku numbers so people can find items on ulta.  

Just to clarify, there is an item number that Ulta lists on the website, right under the picture of the item.

The product id is the number given to the item in the URL.  So Ulta's site follows this formula of having the url and then the very last part of the url is "productId=xlsImpprod" followed by an 8 digit number.  If you use that "productId" number you can get to the page of any item on ulta. 

It's not a search, but the direct url to the page. 

Click on any product, and then view the url in the address bar.  It will look like this: ulta's website (not using the actual domain because BT admins don't like that) /prep-prime-fix?productId=xlsImpprod15921204  Replace the 8 digit product id of the item you want to see with the id of the product you're looking for.

My very unofficial Ulta point multiplier to approximate percent discount chart:

(This is a number where I use the multiplier to divide by 2000 to see how many dollars I would have to spend in order to redeem a $125 reward.  E.g. 2000 points divided by 1 point multiplier means I have to spend $2000 to get the $125 reward.  Adding how much I had to spend ($2000) + the reward ($125), and then using the reward ($125) to divide the total purchase ($2125), I get a discount of approximately 6% based on the total purchase.  Note: the total purchase is based on the concept that you are spending just enough to reach the next $125 reward and combines the reward value with how much money you had to spend to get that reward.

Spoiler
Multiplier11.251.522.252.533.253.544.254.557.257.588.258.599.259.51010.2510.5
Spend2000160013331000889800667615571500471444400276267250242235222216211200195190
Points200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000
Redeem125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125
Total Purchase21251725145811251014925792740696625596569525401392375367360347341336325320315
Discount6%7%9%11%12%14%16%17%18%20%21%22%24%31%32%33%34%35%36%37%37%38%39%40%

Re: Ulta GWPs

If it's a gwp that adds to cart automatically, and it doesn't add to cart when it should, it's OOS (or otherwise broken) and there's *nothing* Ulta CS can do about it. 

Deal hunting rule 1: never call about a glitch (or Tweet or IG or FB, etc). I know Ulta is pretty cool about honoring them, but there's no sense in jeopardizing it for anyone that was successful, as Ulta can change that policy at any second. It is also entirely possible to wear out your own welcome with Ulta, and no one wants that for themselves. They aren't going to give out gcs every time something is oos. Pick your battles. 

Deal hunting rule 2: see rule 1. 

I also want to say that while yes, this is prompted by one post, it's not directed at one person (I promise I'm not trying to single anyone out, even though I'm sure it's coming across that way); it's meant as general advice for everyone. I've seen lots of complaints about lots of deals, so I felt it was time to put my own two cents out there. I have a hard time balancing the "nice factor" of BIC with my own natural tendency to snark or be sarcastic, but I promise there is no ill will intended here.

If you're already following rule 1, great, but if not, please consider it, for yourself and everyone else.

@RGbrownThanks for sharing this etiquette. 

Perhaps there's some confusion over whether a GWP is part of a glitch or part of an advertised deal. 

If it's a clearly stated advertised deal, I would expect Ulta to honor that deal, provided it was still showing as in stock and I had met all the requirements for the promotion.  If Ulta couldn't honor it for whatever reason, I would expect them to at least acknowledge their error and promise to correct it ASAP.

If it's a glitch, then you really can't expect them to do anything for you.  All you can expect from them is to try close that loophole, which screws other people.

I understand it's difficult to post things in the right tone over the internet, but I think you did perfectly!

Just as a general reminder to every one, let's think about our word choices.  Some words have very negative connotations, and when used, came across harshly.  It's always best to use a passive voice when saying something that could be seen as an attack, for example, avoid using pronouns like "I" or "you" which can make someone feel very attacked.

I love that everyone here is so helpful and looking out for each other when we're shopping!

Where did this idea come from that Ulta should give us gift cards whenever a GWP is out of stock?  I know CS might have done it sometimes, but there's no reason it should be expected.  I can't think of any other retailer that would give a gift card to a customer because their GWP is out of stock.  All GWPs are limited supply, that's why they're an incentive to make a purchase as soon as possible.

@lankylizardsI could be wrong but I don't think people have received gift cards because an item is out of stock; I think people have received gift cards when ulta had a promo that included false advertising.  Eg. "buy one get one free" and the second freebie doesn't show up in cart; or "receive free gift with any purchase over $x". 

Things going out of stock is perfectly understandable -- that happens.  I don't think anyone is calling up Ulta CS because a gwp went OOS.  Now if something is showing up in stock on the website and you can't add it to your bag, then I would call CS with the expectation that they would add the gift with purchase to my order (provided they had it).

I understand what you're saying, but in the second scenario you described, has CS ever actually been able to add a GWP to your order that you're unable to add yourself?  I haven't ever gotten them to do this for me.  I just assumed that if a GWP doesn't add automatically to my cart with the stated buy-in and there's no "add to cart" button, it means the GWP is out of stock or no longer available (even if the page doesn't say out of stock).

With the GC for out of stock scenario, I was referring to the post directly under this one.

@lankylizards I am fairly new to the Ulta world in terms of deals and promos so I am a beginner with the math, strategies, and spreadsheet (quite comical I couldn’t even figure out how to redeem a full size free product initially). I had to read everyone’s posts super carefully to understand the nuances. I agree with what everyone is saying and think I understand what you’re getting at.  After past posts about getting a gc for certain issues, people have FOMO about gcs too since it’s like winning a lottery even though it makes sense given something promised wasn’t fulfilled.  So with the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I think people got too caught up in FOMO especially if they’re trying to stay within budget and it hurts to miss out on an oos.  I think it’s all a misunderstanding or knee jerk reaction stemming from being so disappointed about oos. It may have been a situation to warrant a gc but CS ruled against it or vice versa. Hard to say.   For me, having been taught only the Sephora way of customer service until I discovered Ulta, the concept of gcs has always been foreign to me. Like if the  limited $100 rouge reward is oos, would I expect Sephora CS to hand over a gc?  No way!  My two lovely BIC ladies who are experts of the Ulta world are so right about all the rules and what instances a gc may be offered or not.  For amateurs like myself, it’s easy to be a like a kid with FOMO over gcs. I remember the first and only time I got one offered to me after my gwp arrived exploded all over my goodies, I almost keeled over and thought I misheard the CS.  My last point is we do ALL need to be smart and in our excitement at getting amazingly awesome deals, in the name of self preservation or rather Ulta preservation, we need to be careful to pick and choose our battles. We don’t want Ulta to flag us if we overdo anything.  Also when I call up CS on a recorded line, I am very careful with what I say so that I don’t jeopardize the glitches.  Sometimes I have guilt getting such good deals from Ulta and I have fear it will all go away if there’s not enough profit so I go out of my way to help Ulta stay profitable to make up for it whether it’s getting my hair, brows, and facial or keeping returns as low as possible.  Whenever I get peeved at Ulta (once in a blue moon. It happens. Nothing’s always perfect), I just remind myself of certain other retailers (ahem) and it brings me back to perspective LOL.  Anyway I had too much fun shopping Ulta this weekend. Too much 💥🎉

@lankylizardsYes, I have.  There was a promo for drybar that said with any $40 drybar purchase or something like that, and I had a $40+ drybar purchase in my cart that wouldn't autoload the gift.  I called them up to let them know the gwp wasn't automatically loading, and that my cart had met the requirements in the promo.  They had no idea what to do.  They tried telling me my purchase didn't qualify and I asked them to show me where it was stated that only certain $40+ purchases would qualify.  They couldn't explain it.  I let them know it was false advertising and that they should change the language on their website to reflect whatever exclusions applied. 

The rep I spoke to had a bad attitude and said "I don't handle the website".  Ok, I don't expect the website team to be handling CS calls, but you need to at least say you're going to forward to it to them.  I asked to speak to her supervisor because it was a matter of principal at that point.  You can't just acknowledge you're falsely advertising and then do nothing to correct the situation. 

I spoke to the supervisor, explained the situation, and asked if she could explain why the GWP wasn't adding to my cart.  If she had said, "oh you missed this part of the fine print" I would've have thanked her for pointing that out and been on my way.  However, since she was unable to offer a rationale as to why my purchase wasn't eligible for the GWP, she offered to send me a $20 GC.

Of course, I wasn't expecting that.  I thought they'd be able to tell me why my cart didn't qualify or they would offer to ship the GWP separately.  Either of those would've been perfectly acceptable responses.  The GC was nice and took the sting out of not getting the GWP, even though my order should've been eligible for it.

I have no idea what the exact details of the post below are about.  My understanding of that post was that the gift was showing as being in stock on the website, but not automatically loading to the cart.  I would be annoyed, too, if there was a GWP that showed as being in stock on the web page, but not being added to your cart.  If I was really interested, I might call up and ask why it's not showing in the cart and it is showing as in stock on the web site. 

I will say, from my own personal experience, the CS rep I spoke to didn't have a clue what was going on and tried to throw out any reason as to why the GWP wasn't automatically loading to my cart.  First she said it was because my purchase didn't qualify, and then I asked her to show me where it listed exclusions since the promotion said "*any* drybar purchase over $40".  When she couldn't provide an answer, she then tried the old "we're out of stock" and I asked why it was showing as in stock on the website if it was out of stock.  She couldn't explain that either.  I eventually purchased a different set of items from drybar and did get the GWP, so I can attest to the fact that it wasn't OOS.  It appeared that there was some kind of glitch on the website or there were exclusions that weren't clearly stated in the promo.

That being said, I'm unsure if the OP was about a glitch they couldn't add to their cart, or if it was about something not showing up in the cart but in stock on the website. 

@lankylizards @itscarin From my understanding, I believe OP was referring to the specific GWPs that add automatically to your cart.

If anyone is wondering about those, the product page won't say "OOS," but the button that normally appears there ("View Items in Offer") will disappear.

@ohheyitscindykI didn’t know that. Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the item was oos then, and it was confusing because the page didn’t say oos — it only removes the “view items in offer” button. 

@itscarin Yeah I don't know why they can't/won't make it so that the page will say OOS. It's annoying when the page is still up, taunting you haha.

The gold YSL bag and the 3 juicy items (among others, I'm sure) are oos.  At least that's what CS finally said when I called them and had to go through the whole thing of why they didn't add, give them the item #'s, etc.  Funny how none of them said "out of stock", as I pointed out, and it had been hours since I'd been waiting for CS to open to call them.  Didn't even get a gift card either, after asking to talk to a supervisor they just kept saying there's nothing they could do, they're out of stock. 😞

I am confused as to why you are complaining about not getting a gift card? If GWP sell out then they sell out. 

ULTA doesn't owe anyone a gift card. 

Please forgive a bit of a detour from the thread subject, but all in the interest of getting the best deals – if you’re shopping for any drugstore brands that are also available from Target, today all beauty and personal care items are 25% off there.

Ulta GWPs

FYI 10% at ebates currently. It might be worth scrolling through your favorites and saved for later, I've noticed a lot of very recent markdowns that aren't appearing in the sale section, things that are probably being discontinued and 50-75% or so off. Skinfood and Naturesbounty were marked way down. Thanks for all your helpful posts @RGbrown!

@alexalicious   Oh snap, you totally won going by Price Is Right rules!!!  Congrats on your haul!

Since we have some new fragrance gwps, we also have new fragrance gwp glitches 😁

All of these work to get you a robe/blanket under $50. I think the cheapest items in each brand were $25-29

Screenshot_20191202-002713.png

Screenshot_20191202-002801.png

Screenshot_20191202-002903.png

And for a different sort of glitch, the B2G1 on this one is counting towards your $50. Add 9, pick your gwp, then you can cut your qty back to 6 (net $36ish). This is the *only* vitabath item that counts for the fragrance gwp as far as I have seen, so sadly, there's no chance to mix and match with anything else. 

Screenshot_20191202-003133.png

RE: Re: Ulta GWPs

@RGbrown Thanks! I just got mine!

You are a rockstar! Thanks again @RGbrown

You are a rockstar! Thanks again @RGbrown

Ulta GWPs

Thanks @RGbrown for coupon heads up. Used coupon while item was still on sale for Cyber Monday and used points!

Sizes have now been added for the fragrance robes 🙂

CHECK YOUR EMAILS!

The one they sent around 830 Central tonight (at least that's when I got it); there's (possibly) a 20% hiding at the very bottom! It's not mentioned in the title at all. Includes Prestige, valid through the 24th (well, 12/25 1:59am CT)

+Coupon offer valid on all regular price and sale merchandise. Not valid on Dyson, CHANEL, Beauty Steals®, Beauty Deals™ Offers. Excludes Services at The Salon at Ulta Beauty. Cannot be redeemed for cash or gift cards. This offer cannot be combined with any other Ulta Beauty coupon offer. Not valid on prior purchases. Void if copied or transferred and where prohibited by law. May be used on a single purchase and is limited to stock on hand. We reserve the right to limit quantities to normal retail purchases. Limit one per customer. Valid now through 1:59am CT on 12.25.19.

ETA: here's a pic of what to look for!

Screenshot_20191201-231304.png

7 Replies
testing