From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers

Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

So much stuff has been released in the past couple of months that it's hard to decide what to pick up for the holidays, either for yourself or as a gift. Plus, the whole issue with SR, Influenster and fake reviews have made us all a little skeptical on the reviews posted online. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread to talk about what we recommend on buying or skipping this year and a brief description as to why before the November sale. I figured we could divide it into categories and give a purchase or pass recommendation for each. Some helpful things that I can think of are size of the minis (if in a set), value for money, whether it's LE (and most likely staying that way) or likelihood of it going on sale after the holidays, and overall quality of the product. Categories you can include: Eyeshadow Palettes, Face Palettes or Product, Sampler Sets and Gift Sets, etc. Only rule is that it has to be something you've already purchased and tried. 

Most of my recent purchases have been eyeshadow palettes 

As usual, I'm tagging some people to give the thread some traction 😉

@PinkEvergreen @HazelEyedQueen @suzyo @Tamara76 @ohheyitscindyk @Lazybeautybeast @curlychiquita @Ispend2much6 @eshoe

Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

Another product I've found that is totally worth the splurge is the J.ONE - Red Jelly Pack. I waited forever for this to come back in stock since every time I went to buy it, it was sold out. I even wrote a review for it, which I never do. I think this is a really good hydrating primer that makes your makeup last. I've really been enjoying it and have been alternating with the Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g depending on my mood.

I've got to give a shout out to Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g and Tatcha The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatment Candlelight. At first I liked them now I love them. I think no matter how much makeup you wear on a regular basis, these two definitely help it look better. I'm officially a conver @lmaster.

@makeitup305 I agree. It took me a few tries to work with the eye treatment but now that I figured it out, I am really enjoying them both.

I knew you would love it @makeitup305 and with how much you get, that'll last you a long time! 😉

I have to echo everyone here recommending the Natasha Denona Gold Eyeshadow Palette 15 x 0.08 oz/ 2.5 g - it is worth every penny! So pigmented and creamy it also doesn't hurt that it screams holidays, but I could see this being easily used throughout the year.

I also love Pat McGrath's PAT McGRATH LABS BlitzTrance™ Lipstick Rebel Red

in the color Flesh Fatale - super pretty on my fair skin and I can take it from day to night very easily. Just don't try to rub it off your lips while out - you will have a glitter bomb all over your face 😄

Also love the Pat McGrath Dark Star palette - super pigmented, creamy, and I don't have dupes for the majority of the palette (which is a plus since there's only 6 pans lol).

OUAI - Mercer Street Eau De Parfumis heavenly! Since it's LE I caved and bought it. I cannot stop smelling my wrist from where I tried it on in store. Melrose place on me smelled like Chloe (which I own), but Mercer Street smells like nothing that I own (which says A LOT). North Bondi was too light, and the other fragrance (Rue something) just smelled plain weird on me.

That's all I got - everything else I've bought recently were restock items or things you can't get on Sephora (like Colourpop or Doses of Color x Mickey Mouse collection). After the Black Friday sale here on Sephora (planning on picking up the PTR and Origins skincare box at least) and some practical stuff from Ulta's Black Friday sale I'm cooling my heels. I've already gotten multiple side-eye looks from my hubby as he sees the collection of open empty boxes in the recycling bin :P.

I totally agree on the ND Gold and the Blitz Trance, @niki172!  And I am sooooo intrigued by the Ouai fragrances - Somehow I missed those! Does Mercer Street smell like any of their hair products? ❤️

@Tamara76 The Mercer St one smells like their shampoos (supposedly - I've never used their shampoos) :).

Ohhhhhhh I haven't used those, either, but I LOVE the scent of the leave in conditioner - I'll have to find out which candle matches that one! ❤️   @niki172

@niki172 I'm getting my PMG lipstick duos today and I'm really excited to try the Blitztrance formula. I love the PMG Dark Star, it's really different for me since I own very few cool toned palettes. I feel you on the side eye- my boyfriend looks at me reproachfully every time the UPS man knocks on the door. 

Here are my holiday splurges so far. I have a lot of new things to try before I can add them to lists so I will be updating this thread with more products/thoughts in the future 🙂

Splurge:

ARTIST COUTURE - Diamond Lights Finisher- if you're big on glitter and a glitter lid, then I think you need to try this! The glitter is very fine yet easy to apply with just your finger. I have yet to use it as a highlight but I bet it is just as stunning as a highlight as it is as a shadow topper!

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color Unveil- stunning colors and amazing liquid lip formula that stays on ALL day with no reapplying needed. The formula also is not too drying on me or uncomfortable to wear.

MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - O!Mega Glaze All-Over Foil Luminizer- the perfect, peachy holiday highlight! I have been using this nonstop as it just so stunning on. It is on the pricey side but totally worth the splurge if you're in the market for a new peach highlight and/or are a MJ collector

Natasha Denona Gold Eyeshadow Palette 15 x 0.08 oz/ 2.5 g- Amazing color pay off, smooth blending and beautiful glitters. This has quickly become one of my favorite ND palettes in my collection.

Hourglass Unlocked palette- words cannot express how much I am in love with this palette. It has the perfect shades of bronzer, blush and highlight! Every single color is wearable and the shades are very work-look appropriate. It's a shame it sold out and was LE because it is just so beautiful and I believe it is something that needs to be permanent!

@gonerogue I tried the Diamond Lights Finisher in store the other day and it was a "save”for me. It reminded me of the Hourglass Scattered Lights and I think I prefer the "stickier” formula. If you like the finish, I would definitely try the Colourpop Super Shock, the :”Ultra Glitters” kind. I have a bunch of them and some have just a semi opaque base with tons of glitter for an almost "glossy” effect. 

@makeitup305 I can see it’s not for everyone. I really enjoy working with glitters no matter the finish or texture so I enjoy using mine. I can’t say I’ve tried those CP glitters but I will give them a shot 🙂

@gonerogue I recommend Ritz and Frog- they're sheer and super glittery so it just looks like your eye is wet.

@gonerogue I totally agree with you about the Hourglass palette. It's really special. I love the luminosity it gives all over the skin. The two setting powders I like more than the ones in their permanent range. Hopefully they come out with at least some of these individually if not the whole palette. I love the Gold palette too. The different textures in the palette really make it special.

I totally agree with every single one of these products, too, @gonerogue, except the Artist Couture, but only because I haven't tried it yet!  I will say that the Artist Couture Diamond Luminizers are some of my faves this holiday season, though! ❤️

@Tamara76 I haven't tried anything from the brand but I just might pick this up. I love going for a glossy lid.

@makeitup305

Here are a few of my recommendations in the eyeshadow category:

Splurge:

1.  Pat McGrath Mothership V Palette:  O.k. This palette may have surpassed my beloved Natasha Denona Sunset Palette as my all time favorite palette EVER!  The pigmentation is so intense and the formula is so creamy and smooth and rich that it has seriously ruined other eyeshadows for me.  I love the colors, I love the packaging (I bought the Met edition direct from PMG) and I am simply in love.

2.  Huda New Nude Palette:  OMG!  This may be the most beautiful palette I've ever seen! And it performs as well as it looks!  The pigmentation pops, the formula is so rich and creamy and buttery (including the glitter shades!), and it is very easy to blend!  The colors are stunning -especially the crushed pearl glitter shades - Be still my heart!  The only thing I don't really need in the palette is the concealer, but it would be very useful if I did a lot of cut crease looks.

3.  Natasha Denona Safari Palette:  This palette has really gotten mixed reviews, but I absolutely love it!  I find the formula to be very blendable without much fall out and the pigmentation is great!  It's not quite as buttery and creamy as Lila or Sunset, but I still think it is amazing!

Save:

1. Ciate Glitter Storm Palette:  I totally fell in love with the fun glitter packaging and thought the colors were dreamy, but it turned out to be a dud for me.  I found the shadows to be patchy and low on pigment and the glitter shades were very dry and hard to "stick" to my eyelid without lots of Glitter Glue/Glitter Primer.

2.  Kevyn Aucoin Nude Pop Palette:  I am so sad about this one because the palette is absolutely stunning and it has gotten rave reviews.  Sadly, I found the pigmentation to be lacking and the colors run a little too cool toned for my liking.

Thanks for the review on the KA palette @Tamara76! I’ve been going back and forth on this one for quite a while. It looks beautiful, but I was a little concerned that it had only one really dark shadow. 

@jozkid If you like cool tones, you may be able to build the color up enough to work for you.  I was super disappointed because it really looked like it had more warm toned shades. 😞

@jozkid If I can enable just a little bit, I absolutely love the NudePop palette on me. I think it could look quite lovely on you, jozkid! I'll try to post some swatches/looks later if that would be helpful (if you're still considering it)!

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • 112018 pmg swatch1.PNG
  • 112018pmgswatch2.PNG
  • 112018 bronze temptation vs minx.PNG
testing