Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

So much stuff has been released in the past couple of months that it's hard to decide what to pick up for the holidays, either for yourself or as a gift. Plus, the whole issue with SR, Influenster and fake reviews have made us all a little skeptical on the reviews posted online. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread to talk about what we recommend on buying or skipping this year and a brief description as to why before the November sale. I figured we could divide it into categories and give a purchase or pass recommendation for each. Some helpful things that I can think of are size of the minis (if in a set), value for money, whether it's LE (and most likely staying that way) or likelihood of it going on sale after the holidays, and overall quality of the product. Categories you can include: Eyeshadow Palettes, Face Palettes or Product, Sampler Sets and Gift Sets, etc. Only rule is that it has to be something you've already purchased and tried. 

Most of my recent purchases have been eyeshadow palettes 

As usual, I'm tagging some people to give the thread some traction 😉

@PinkEvergreen @HazelEyedQueen @suzyo @Tamara76 @ohheyitscindyk @Lazybeautybeast @curlychiquita @Ispend2much6 @eshoe

Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

Aaaggghhh!  Lol!  But of course @lachaton!  That’s one of the reasons I haven’t jumped on this palette. I’ve seen very few looks. I’d love to see what you’ve done with it, but if you could show me before tonight (well not too late anyway) so I can still use the 20%!  Thanks doll!

@jozkid Here's the only look I've snapped a pic of so far:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Brand-Loyal/THE-PAT-McGRATH-THREAD/m-p/4298169/highlight/true#M72135

I'll try to get some swatches tonight!

Thanks @lachaton!  I really appreciate it!

RE: Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

@Tamara76PM mothership V looks all shimmer with no Matt shades. Is that the case? If yes, which Matt palette do you use with it, if any?Do youthink one of the smaller PM bronze palettes (Broze Ambition is what iwas looking at I think) are similar to Viseart Theory Minx? I can’t tell from swatches.If you have those smaller palettes, which one do you like the best? Tagging few others who are active on Viseart thread @jozkid @Mochapj @lachaton @veronika23 @lachaton @jozkid

@mochapj

Re: RE: Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

Hi, @naturalooks15!

1.  The Mothership V palette actually has 3 matte shades, so it is almost a one and done palette for me - the only thing I usually add is some sort of a cream shade to set my eye primer all over my lid, but otherwise I don't need to reach for any other palettes or shadows to do a whole eye look.

The rest are metallic with some sparkle or sheen - In the pan, the 4 on the far right almost look like foil duochromes at first glance, two more look like almost like glitter shades and the last one looks like a metallic shimmer shade.  However, when applied, they all look similarly glittery and fabulous to me. I struggled to describe them because they look so different in the pan, but so similar when swatched or applied to the lid.  Here are swatches in sunlight and in the shade:

112018 pmg swatch1.PNG

112018pmgswatch2.PNG

2.  O.k. I could have sworn I had the mini Bronze Ambition palette, but I cannot find it anywhere.  I do have the the Subversive Metalmorphosis and Sublime Bronze Temptation minis and I prefer Bronze Temptation.

Here are swatches of it (top) compared to Viseart Minx (bottom):

112018 bronze temptation vs minx.PNG

The metallics in Minx actually perform pretty well next to the PMG, but the mattes look really patchy. I only used one layer of each shadow in the pic above - PMG is seriously that good!

Hope this helps! xoxoxo

Thank you @Tamara76 for such detailed response and all the swatches. Really appreciate it. It does help. Interesting to see that Viseart matt were bit less performing than PM since I thought Viseart was famous for their matts. 

These PM look beautiful and shades look close to ViseArt Minx. Do Pat McGRATH palettes ever go on sale 😬?

I don’t think I will buy the full size yet but maybe give one of the smaller ones a try with the Dec $25 off coupon.

You are very welcome, @naturalooks15!  It looks like PMG direct is having some kind of mystery Black Friday sale, but I haven't been able to find out any more details - Can't wait to see what is on sale! ❤️

@Tamara76 Oh... that’s trouble !! I am already pretty torn looking at the Daily Wow deal thread and now PM. Need to exercise self restraint. Thanks for letting me know though. 

Hey there @naturalooks15!  Thank you for tagging me. Unfortunately I’m not that familiar with the PMG palettes. I’m trying desperately to stay away from them!  Lol!  I don’t think my wallet could handle it right now. I’m sure there are lots of folks who can help you out though!

@naturalooks15 I think I've posted some swatches before, let me do some digging through old posts! 

Initial thoughts: Viseart Minx is very warm, and well colour-coordinated. If you're looking for those warm, orange tones in PMG I think Mothership V or MTHRSHP Sublime Bronze Ambition would be your best bets. Minx is definitely a nice little Theory palette. 

I wouldn't say you could go wrong with any of these, but I don't think you're going to find a perfect dupe with PMG. However, I think the PMG palettes have more variety whereas the Viseart Theory is more obviously cohesive.

Okay, not as complete as I hoped they would be but I have some photos here (although I can't find swatches of all of them)

Mothership V swatches:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Brand-Loyal/THE-PAT-McGRATH-THREAD/m-p/4155627/highlight/true#M69136

The new holiday MTHRSHP 6 pans:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Brand-Loyal/THE-PAT-McGRATH-THREAD/m-p/4309534#M72257

A look with Viseart Minx:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Brand-Loyal/THE-VISEART-THREAD/m-p/2440411/highlight/true#M12630

@naturalooks15  I have the 12 pan palettes from Viseart... and those I like. Sorry I can't comment on the smaller ones. I think I might have one but don't remember using it...

@naturalooks15 The mothership V has 3 mattes in it, but they’re all pretty deep tones; 2 browns and a dark purple.

@Tamara76 I agree with the PMG! it's so gorgeous. I skipped the Huda because I just don't wear those tones but if she does those foil shades in anything else I might cave. ND Safari has been calling my name for a while but I keep hoping for a bigger discount than a 20% off, like they did with the Tropic. I skipped out on the Ciate and the KA for the same reasons- too cool toned for me and I just wasn't wowed. 

RE: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

I splurged on the Marc Jacobs mini lip set in cream and sugar and absolutely love it. Good value. I’ll be buying a mini set of some sort every week until Christmas and then decide what to keep and what to gift

Re: RE: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

@glamsquad619 That's a good way to play it! 

What a fun thread!  I'll have to get my thoughts together and come back later to share!   ❤️   @makeitup305

Thank for the tag @makeitup305.  hmm... I'm trying to decide how bad I'm going to during the sale. I was pretty tame during the FF sale. 

Splurge:

BITE BEAUTY - Agave Treat Trio Mini Agave Lip Mask Set - I love these! 

SEPHORA FAVORITES - Soko to Tokyo - This is my Fav set every year. (I'm honestly surprised I haven't grabbed it already) 

TOO FACED - Peach Tinsel Loose Sparkling Party Powder & Lipstick Set - Peaches & Cream Collection - Do I need this...no. Will ever use it...probably not often...BUT I'm going to splurge! 

Save: 

Origins Hello Calm™ Relaxing & Hydrating Face Mask with Hemp Seed Oil 2.5 oz/ 75 mL - I'm so interested in this mask but it is permanent so I should hold off

BITE BEAUTY - Candy Cane Agave Lip Mask (Candy cane and Lavender) - I'm going to get the mini set and decide if I want additional ones.

CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder - 1 Fair - Again, its not going anywhere and I have been hoarding setting powders in 2018. I don't need another right now.

BRIOGEO - Crystal Powers Hair Repair Vault - I love the products but that price tag....I'm going to see if maybe it goes on clearance after the holidays.

RE: Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

@Lazybeautybeast that is a really great list! I’m adding a few of those to my list...

@Lazybeautybeast I told myself no more sampler sets until I use up my skincare. I already bought the Agave trio 😛 

I was thinking of adding the CT Airbrush to my list, I've heard rave reviews. I'm not sure whether to pick it up or not, I've already got so much stuff I want. And yes, that Briogeo set price tag is nuts!

lol. I use to buy every SF set that comes out so my DS co...

lol. I use to buy every SF set that comes out so my DS collection is crazy @makeulitup305. I'm pretty good at going through them but I still have too much. So I set this rule for myself: the set most contain 90% products I haven't tried, absolutely love, or fill gaps in my routine. Only getting 2 this holiday season. (I might get 2 Soko to Tokyo sets but one will be a gift)

RE: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

For a splurge I recommend the Drybar big crushin smoothing styling bundle. I love the buttercup and brush crush and you get all the styling products too.
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • 112018 pmg swatch1.PNG
  • 112018pmgswatch2.PNG
  • 112018 bronze temptation vs minx.PNG
testing