Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

So much stuff has been released in the past couple of months that it's hard to decide what to pick up for the holidays, either for yourself or as a gift. Plus, the whole issue with SR, Influenster and fake reviews have made us all a little skeptical on the reviews posted online. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread to talk about what we recommend on buying or skipping this year and a brief description as to why before the November sale. I figured we could divide it into categories and give a purchase or pass recommendation for each. Some helpful things that I can think of are size of the minis (if in a set), value for money, whether it's LE (and most likely staying that way) or likelihood of it going on sale after the holidays, and overall quality of the product. Categories you can include: Eyeshadow Palettes, Face Palettes or Product, Sampler Sets and Gift Sets, etc. Only rule is that it has to be something you've already purchased and tried. 

Most of my recent purchases have been eyeshadow palettes 

As usual, I'm tagging some people to give the thread some traction 😉

@PinkEvergreen @HazelEyedQueen @suzyo @Tamara76 @ohheyitscindyk @Lazybeautybeast @curlychiquita @Ispend2much6 @eshoe

Re: Splurge or Save: Holiday Releases Edition!

I wouldn't recommend the NEST - 10th Anniversary Discovery Set. The problem is with the size of the candles. They're so tiny that if you burn them for more than a half hour at a time you will get drowned wicks and uneven burning, which isn't really long enough to test the throw or anything.

@suzyo That's too bad. It's not cheap either. I looked at it since I've heard good things about the Nest candles but probably not now.

Oh how fun!

Splurge: Moisturizer. I keep trying more expensive & cheaper options, but nothing works better than

CLINIQUE - Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing HydratorIt makes my skin feel impossibly soft, plump, and moisturized. Its very pleasant to appy too because of its gel texture. You can often get this in a kit or GWP. 

Save: Face wash. I keep it simple with CeraVe. I use their Hydrating Cleanser, Renewing Cleanser, and Foaming Facial Cleanser depending on my skin’s condition. Then I splurge more on treatments and moisturizers.  (Edited for typos ugh)

@JayJayyy I agree on cleanser. Unless it's on a huge discount, I stick to drugstore. 

@makeitup305 here is mine!

Skincare

Splurge: SK-II now that I'm in my 40s, Perricone MD when I was in my 30s. I try to make sure there are active ingredients, including niacinamide, retinoids, peptides, AHAs, and/or growth factors in my skincare to help keep my dreaded forehead furrows (11s) minimized. DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel pads are a godsend. DRUNK ELEPHANT - Protini™ Polypeptide Cream looks good for this, too, although I haven't tried it.

Save: Skincare with alcohol in it. I'm not against all alcohol. When I was younger and my skin was very oily it did help a good amount. As I get older, I am trying to be gentle with my skin.

@curlychiquita two products I really want to try!! the pr...

@curlychiquita two products I really want to try!! the protini, and the Dr gross peel!

Here are mine:

Eyeshadow Palettes

Splurge: Pat McGrath. Whether it's one of the smaller palettes, a full size Mothership, or a whole set of palettes, you can't go wrong. From the quality of the shadows to the packaging, it's just amazing.

Save: Natasha Denona Mini Star. I have several full size palettes and this just isn't doing it for me, it's just ok. IMO, better to put those $25 towards a Huda palette or a full size palette or a set.

I've mostly been on an eyeshadow binge so not much else has made it to my list.

@makeitup305  I bought two of the Bite holiday lip mask sets last week.

The Sweet Treats: Agave Lip Care Set is so cute!  I think it makes a great gift for just about anyone.  It's my favorite lip balm, and the sizes are great for carrying in your purse or pocket.  And the jar makes a cute presentation.  I bought the Champagne shade.

https://www.sephora.com/product/sweet-treats-agave-lip-care-set-P436865

The Agave Treat Trio Mini Agave Lip Mask Trio is also cute, and a little more expensive.  The bright red tin it comes in is festive, there are three shades/flavors of balm, and although very small, they do last a long time.  This is the only balm I have used where my lips are very hydrated in the a.m. after using it at bedtime.

https://www.sephora.com/product/agave-treat-trio-mini-agave-lip-mask-set-P436407

@Ispend2much6 I bought the Lip Mask Trio too. I wanted to try the Maple so it works out perfectly. I'm also tempted by the Laneige Lip Mask set, which is a good deal too. The full size lip mask lasts forever.

@makeitup305  It really does last forever!

I'm on the edge of ordering the Bite Agave Mask Trio - you get the same amount of product with the 3 minis as a full size tube and it's less money. And then there's the decision of do I keep it all for myself or share. I'm thinking it's better to buy my order now and use a beauty offer code than to wait for the sale (since I'm only an insider) and things could be out of stock.BITE BEAUTY - Agave Treat Trio Mini Agave Lip Mask Set

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • 112018 pmg swatch1.PNG
  • 112018pmgswatch2.PNG
  • 112018 bronze temptation vs minx.PNG
testing