Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|
Anonymous Insider

I am a straight guy that wants to try makeup and on a budget! any tips?

I am a straight guy that wants to try makeup and on a budget! any tips?

RE: I am a straight guy that wants to try makeup and on a budget! any tips?

If you want to try makeup, you can go in and get mini makeup applications for free. They can show you how to apply what and where type basics specifically for you. You can also get free samples just by asking. So go in and talk to them and get some free stuff to play with. Then go from there. Have fun!

Re: I am a straight guy that wants to try makeup and on a budget! any tips?

@Anonymous You can try the Sephora Favorites collection so you can test out products that are their top sellers. 

Anonymous Insider

Hi, how are ya? 

I think it is important that you first establish your budget in this post. I am a teenager; my budget is around $5-20. The same may not be for you, but for the sake of spending less money (because who doesn't love that?), I am going to assume the same for you as well.

Firstly, I do not think that shopping at Sephora if you want to "try" makeup is the best way to start. Sephora carries higher-end brands which can be hit-or-miss. To make sure you know what you want, first start with drugstore makeup. Play around with the makeup. See what you are good at doing versus not. See what you're sensitive to, what colours/formulas you like, etc. Many drugstore brands (you can find them at Walmart, Target, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc.) work really well! Some examples include

• Smashbox: Sephora also carries Smashbox!
  • Maybelline: this is my go-to brand for foundation and concealer - their FitMe collection is the best
  • Physician's Formula: absolutely pick up their highlighter and bronzer
  • e.l.f.: highlighter is OUT of this world and the rest of their products are good quality for a very low price
  • Loreal Paris: for the lashes, Loreal does a really good job in comparison to other high-end brands that markup to a significant amount ($9 vs. $30 - uh, WOW)
  • Some honourable mentions: RIMMELL London, Covergirl

Those are my personal favourite brands from drugstore makeup. However, if you are adamant on Sephora shopping ... SEPHORA COLLECTION is the absolute cheapest option for makeup. Be warned though, the quality isn't always perfect but the lip products are super lovely. Perhaps start there and work your way into expensive products!

As always, good luck! Do keep us posted on what you purchase and experiment with.

RE: I am a straight guy that wants to try makeup and on a budget! any tips?

We don’t need to know your sexual orientation. Makeup is FUN and is for everyone!!!! It is a creative way to express ourselves so no explanations needed. You do you!!

Hi @TaraApril!

There are some really great drugstore brands you should look into, like Nyx or Colourpop. I would also look at Sephora collection for some good quality but budget friendly makeup. Especially SEPHORA COLLECTION Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick 01 Always Red

I also think subscription boxes are a good way to experiment with different kinds of makeup. Sephora Play is pretty awesome, as well as Ipsy.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing