Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Foil Challenge

I know we all talked about this but I need it in writing to hold myself more accountable! I have picked out around 28 foils that I am hoping to get through by the end of Feb. that’s 1 foil a day unless I decide to stack more than one! Here’s what I’ve picked randomly! 

A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg

Re: Foil Challenge

@itsfi  great job! That Creme Shop mask is so cute - they have some really cute ones! This reminds me I have a growing collection of foils that I haven't made a dent in in some time...I have been more focused on the full size products I'm working on for this year's Pan It! challenge, but I'd like to get back to using up some foils as well.

The line that this sheet mask is from has a lot of cute designs and the sheet masks are good too @caitbird. They make wonderful gifts - for yourself or others.  I don't use many masks from The Creme Shop anymore (or that many in general), but this particular one is one I always pick up if i happen to run across it in Marshall's or TJ Maxx. 

Completely understand. I am aiming to have less foils in my stash in general. I was doing pretty well and then I discovered a bunch of them! 😬 They're primarily makeup so I'll put them to good use during Samples Week for the Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge that will happen in late summer. I may be able to put together a full face with all my samples - that's both scary and intriguing at the same time. 😆

@itsfi  out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you have moved away from using sheet masks as much? Do you find they don't work for you that well? I like them myself but despite having an extensive stash I never remember to use them (hence making weekly sheet masking one of my Pan It! goals for this year).

I feel like I have so many foils and, at the moment, I have not been using the ones I have and yet I can never resist GWP and free samples, so I have more coming in all the time! 😅 I really need to inventory what I have and set up some sort of plan for using them regularly. Do you have a system in place for keeping track of your foils stash and pulling from it? Or is it more free-form for you?

The gwps and free samples have a way of sneaking up on us, don't they @caitbird? Before long, I have a pile of foil samples I didn't even know I accumulated. Hahaha! I know for myself that it's those gwp promos where they give you a bag full of samples that get me if I'm not on top of it, if I don't sort through them divvy them up into foils I want to keep and foils I should pass along. Easier said than done though, as evidenced by my continually growing pile of foils. 

For the last few years, my primary way to track foils was to keep them in containers or organizers of some sort. This helped me to manage the sheer number of foils I had on hand and the types of foils I had. Also, now that I try to make an effort to not just picking up samples for the sake of picking them up (or, put another way, only pick up or request samples of products I want to try), I have started to only keep track of / make notes for the following:
  • products that I love/am interested in picking up a full size - this goes on my wish list (and if I know of a sale when it would be a good time to pick it up, then I note that (the sale and the general time of year it happens) on my list as well
  • products that I definitely want to remember to never pick up or keep around because my skin does not respond well to them (for example, the innisfree cherry blossom gel moisturizer or the Botanist shampoo and conditioner from my May foils)
  • products that I find myself having a tendency to pick up time and time again but never seem to remember that it's a good but not great product (for example, the CT cream - it's good, but I have products I like better).  

For me, doing it this way (vs keeping a list of every foil I have or have tried) is a lot easier and more manageable. Ideally, products in the latter two categories shouldn't make their way into my stash, but if/when they do, having a list of them makes it easier to just put them into the "things to be donated" bin. 

Here's how I kept track of my foil samples in 2022 ⬇️- tracking was more about number of foils - no more than 100. I managed to work my way through them that year, but sure enough, they found their way back here and I have more to work through. lol
2022 Foil Organization.jpg

This was my foils storage for most of 2023 and it's a system I'm hoping to get my way back to ⬇️ Right now, I have more samples than I can fit into, but they are mostly makeup samples and my plan is to work through most of them this summer, including a samples makeup capsule for the Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge and to declutter any duplicates of products that end up not being a good fit for me.
2023 Foil Organization 1.jpg
Top drawer: Single foils of products I've never used before
2nd drawer: Single foils of tried-and-true products 
3rd drawer: Foils that I had multiples of, whether they were for products that were part of a 5/6/10/14 day trial promotion or whether they were of tried-and-true products I saved up for travel purposes.
Bottom drawer: deluxe sized samples or promo sized samples

In the photo above, the top and 3rd drawers have far too many samples than I prefer having on hand at any one time.

@caitbird, good question. I still like sheet masks and I'm happy with the masks in my stash. In general, I mask with them less for a few reasons, the primary one being that my skin seems to have changed over the last 9+ months and using a sheet mask on a daily basis is too much for it. Currently, my sheet mask usage averages about 2-5 per month.

This summer, I'll try to be more consistent with how regularly I use a sheet mask, but I don't anticipate it will be very often as I have historically used sheet masks less in the warmer months - they're more something I reach for when my skin is dry and dehydrated (that has been the ideal conditions for me when it comes to sheet mask usage) and my skin has leaned more oily in recent years during the warmer seasons. Weekly sheet mask use is a marvelous target and having it as a goal for the pan it! challenge is a really smart idea.   

@itsfi  You still did a great job!! 4 is better then 0!!! Too bad about the DDG mask. I have one that I haven’t used yet. Now I may use it to get it gone! 

Hopefully yours turns out better than mine did @ather! I just couldn't get the mask to stay on. 

@itsfi  I have been so busy I haven’t masked. But I will place it on my counter so I use it! Maybe tomorrow. Will be a great way to finish my busy day!

@itsfi what a fun mask

@CorgiMommy, it is such a fun mask and performs wonderfully, too! I don't buy sheet masks as often anymore but this is one that does get repurchased.

March foils 2024

I didn’t do as well as I hopped even with my mini vacation but here I am!! 

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

All are good! 😊 

@ather every bit helps

@CorgiMommy  I agree!! I’ve gotten my foils down to a manageable amount but now my DS are out of hand. Ooops! 

@ather, all good samples?! I love that. That's a huge win! 🙌 Spying some great products in your foil empties 😍 - that Sulwhasoo serum is lovely; the Dior I once had an opportunity to try when it was used on me during a facial; and that Ouai detox shampoo is in my shower right now - it's what I've been using to remove / rinse out the Fable & Mane pre-wash oil.

@itsfi  I agree. So crazy they all ended up good!! I love the Ouai detox shampoo one of my favs!! And the Dior I have used before and I enjoyed it. I feel like I have been saving my great foils for last. So I have a bunch of great ones left! 

That’s awesome @ather! 😃 It’s fun when you have good foils to look forward to using. Are they mainly skincare?

@itsfi  I have a little of everything! I have a few perfume samples and some makeup ones that I’m saving for later 😉 I also have a huge amount of hair samples! But I’m doing so much better now! I feel like I’m in a good place! Now on to my over run DS! 

March 2024 foils

It was a slow month for foils, with just one miss. Will try to do better next month @ather🤞

Month-to-Date: 8

Year-to-Date: 34

itsfi_0-1711377531997.png

The Details:

Spoiler

😘  Dr. Jart+ Ceramididin™ Skin Barrier Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz / 50 mL is one of my skin’s winter warriors. It moisturizes and protects without being heavy or thick. 

👍🏼  ILIA C Beyond Triple Serum SPF 40 Mineral Sunscreen with Vitamin C 10% + Niacinamide Translucent Ton... is more skincare than makeup and is best suited for those with good skin that leans on the dry to very dry side. My skin is normal to dry at the moment, with more redness than usual (allergies). For me, I’d definitely need a concealer with this; it is nice for helping to keep my skin lightly moisturized, though I found it to be too shiny on me, both at initial application and as the day wears on. 

🐐 SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Eye Mask Caffeine - it’s going to be a sad day if these are being discontinued. Please don't be phased out; please don't be phased out. 

🫤  The adherence and size of the openings for both the mouth and eyes on the Lala Recipe Glow Face Moisture Mask were really off for me. It ended up being fussy to deal with as the mask kept sliding down my face, which suprised me - that's a first for me and after several minutes of trying to keep both halves of this 2-piece hydrogel mask on, I ended up just calling it a day and removing the mask altogether. 

♥️ The L’Occitane Instant Illuminating Sheet Mask, on the other hand, was one I wouldn’t minded wearing longer or having more on hand to use more frequently. It has a milky, emulsion-like serum that is feels cooling, soothing and hydrating on the skin. Half an hour with it gave me soft, supple, hydrated skin with a healthy dewy glow.

Emoji Legends:

Spoiler

🐐 = GOAT = Greatest Of All Time (have gone through at least two of the particular product and other comparable items

😘 = Chef’s Kiss = Outstanding 

💖 = Love 

👍🏼 = Like 

🫤 = Okay; “It’s fine.”; “meh

🔬 = Undecided = “Still looking into it

🙊 = Not for me / my skin type

🙅🏻‍♀️ =  = “No, non, nein, nyet, …” 

@itsfi  Great job!! Some is better than none! 

@ather, thank you. Every little bit helps to whittle down the stash of foils. 

@itsfi great job this month

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos122
  • A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg
  • MTXX_MH20230129183142501.jpg
  • February Foils.jpeg
  • February Foils 2.jpeg
  • 329617520_1881335318909767_5594684371409544586_n.jpg
  • 20230211_161143.jpg
  • CBD74025-7F2E-45F1-A34E-23EC3ACD70A2.jpeg