Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Foil Challenge

I know we all talked about this but I need it in writing to hold myself more accountable! I have picked out around 28 foils that I am hoping to get through by the end of Feb. that’s 1 foil a day unless I decide to stack more than one! Here’s what I’ve picked randomly! 

A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg

Re: Foil Challenge

@Mellmars1185  Thank you!! It feels good to see the progress!! 

@ather A nice batch of empties there !  I have a bit of a DS problem at the moment as well.  Hoping more travel over the summer will help with them lol!  Are you going to do the challenge again next month?

@missjeanie  I will try! But I may do more of a freestyle since I’m pretty close to using all my foils! I have a ton of hair foils but I only wash my hair once a week so it may take longer to use up. 

@ather at this rate you will be done by

the end of June 

@CorgiMommy  I know right!! I have a ton of DS I need to work through also! Then hopefully I can keep my stash under control! 

Wonderful work! @ather You did sooo many this month and it's great to hear your making headway on your stock of foils.  🥳🥳🥳 Amazing!

It feels soo good to use them up 😀

@CynthieLu  I agree. I feel like it’s easy for foils to get out of hand! 

Hey there fellow foilers! 😉 Posting early here as I won't be using any foils for the rest of the month - I've been dealing with a cold and have been keeping every routine I have to the basic minimum, all involving my full size products. Here's what foiling looked like in March - 

March 2023 Foils - Final Tally.jpg

Top Row:

Spoiler

Top row are of foils that were part of the goal I set at the beginning of the month. Out of the 20 foils I had set aside, I used up 19 of them. 🙌 The star of this batch was the EADEM Milk Marvel Dark Spot Serum with Niacinamide and Vitamin C 1 oz/ 30 mL - it's on the top of my list for the spring sale. The Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Hyaluronic Body Lotion was fine; I'd be happy to use it again but it didn't necessarily standout from other body lotions. I was excited to try the Voluspa Eucalyptus & White Sage Hand Cream but the scent wasn't what I expected - it wasn't bad but just not what I was hoping for. Verb Ghost Weightless Shampoo  and Verb Ghost Weightless Conditioner were good; I do like these two hair care products. They're both repurchase-worthy for me, but I'm trying not to go overboard with the number of shampoo and conditioner I keep on hand, and I already have a set I'm eyeing for the sale, so I won't be picking them up anytime soon (even though I may want to 😂). See, I'm being good. 🤣

Bottom Row:

Spoiler
These were additional foils I reached for in March, either just because or for a trip. 2 of the 7 (the last 2) were new-to-me. 

Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer is a beautiful moisturizer for dry skin or in the winter months. I've had various sizes of this moisturizer over the years - samples like this one, mini/travel sizes and a full size. Lovely formula and great results.

I discovered Oribe through a hair stylist. She moved away 😥 but Oribe stayed in some form or another, usually styling products but I have used a couple of their shampoos and conditioners in the past. This Gold Lust range is wonderful for treating damaged hair; of the 3 samples here - shampoo, conditioner and mask - the Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Conditioner has been the standout for me.

Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 came into my skin's life decades ago, when its benefits and popularity were known primarily by dermatologists, aestheticians (where I learned about it) and skin care enthusiasts. My aesthetician started me early on this and I say "thank you!" The Skinceuticals formulation is one of the best out there, pricey though it may be.

Now, on to the two new-to-me-products. Eminence Stone Crop Oxygent Fizzofoliant is waaaay too harsh on my skin when paired with just water. OUCH! It was more gentle (though still too much for my face) when I paired it with an-oil-to-milky cleanser and water. There's a ton of product in this foil and I didn't want to waste it, so after use #2, it was relegated to exfoliating the soles of my feet, where the skin is muuuuch less delicate than the skin on my face. 

I'm a fan of Laneige skincare - the Radian-C cream, cream skin toner, and the lip sleeping mask are staples in my routine. The new, reformulated LANEIGE Water Bank Blue Hyaluronic Cream Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL is a nice one and one I might consider for the warmer months if I didn't already have a very healthy 😆 number of moisturizers on hand that can also fit that slot.

March 2023 Foils - Sheet Masks.jpg

Ahhhh, sheet masks and steam eye masks. 😍 These Kao Megrhythm Gentle Steam Eye Masks will always be a repurchase. I love trying the new scents they come out with - they all seem to be limited release scents and most are usually Asia exclusives. 

FINAL COUNT:

Spoiler

MTD: 34 (26 foils / 2 sheet masks / 6 other masks)

YTD: 85 (58 foils / 26 sheet masks / 9 other masks)

I usually do a more detailed breakdown of my empties on a quarterly basis and will try to update this post with that info at another time. 

Foil Forecast for April 2023

Spoiler
I'm going to switch up my approach (again) for next month @ather. (Quick recap - for the first month of this challenge, my aim was for a foil a day and a sheet mask a day. This month I elected to set aside specific foils I wanted to use up (but no specific sheet masks). For April, I'm going with a freestyle approach. I'll keep all my foils in a centralized location but won't have any targets or particular products set aside for the month. There's no set plan; well, except for the mid-month check-in. This will be unfamiliar territory for me 😬 but we'll see what happens in a month. 

Overall, a good month for using up my foils! Yaay! Looking forward to seeing how everyone did with their foils in March. 

@itsfi Great progress. I can't wait to hear how your change in approach goes!

@Mellmars1185, thank you. I’m interested to see how April turns out without any set foil goals. I’ve reorganized my foils so that may help keep them from being “out of sight, out of mind.” 🤞🏼 

@itsfi You've got me thinking I need to pick up the Eadem in lieu of the Topicals faded again this sale.  I hope those steam masks were helping with your cold!  I didn't even realise they were different scents!  

@missjeanie, the Eadem really worked well for me but if the Topicals gave you good results you might want to stick with it. The Topicals contains tranexamic acid which I really like as an ingredient for hyperpigmentation as well. 

I read an article online, on Elle magazine, that talked about different serums for discoloration, including both Eadem and Topicals. It’s titled “The 16 Best Dark Spot Correctors”. If you put that into a search and Elle, that should bring it up. It was a very recent article. 

@itsfi Just went and read the article.... Thank You!  I maybe already have two off the list in my stash that I haven't opened.  oops. Okay, need to contemplate using those up first, but the Eadem actually sounds right my ally! 

Oooh, we can be Eadem serum haul twins @missjeanie! 😀 When I was using the foils, my evening routine was super simple - most nights, double cleanse, Eadem serum, facial oil and lip balm. I’d add another serum every few days. Easy peasy. 

@itsfi Were you using it in the morning as well?  I did take stock of what I have on hand last night and am I thinking I am going to pick one up.  Commmmmon spring sale!

@missjeanie, I used it both morning and night for one of the 2 weeks. When I did use it on the AM, my routine was the Eadem serum, Ole Henriksen oil and sunblock. Some mornings started with a cleanser if needed. It didn’t pill or cause any issue when layered with other skincare or makeup.

I love the way you are tackling this @itsfi  Your approach for April sounds fun and more relaxed and it is nice to switch things up every once in awhile 😉

Your progress on foils is so admirable. It's very motivating to see how much you have accomplished.  I know we can accomplish lots when we set goals and work towards them. Thank you for the motivation to help work through my massive pile ( 🙏 and Thank you too @ather for starting this thread. It's been sooo helpful!)

@CynthieLu, thank you. Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how freestyling it in April plays out. 😀 I tend to like / do better with some structure so I imagine I’ll have much less foils at the end of April, but we shall see.

Trying out the different approaches to going through my foils is helpful to see what will work best for me under certain circumstances. If it helps someone else out, either as a way to go about it or as a stepping stone to finding out an approach that works best for them, all the better! 👍🏼 

@itsfi  Wow great job!! I am impressed! I added in the Verb shampoo and conditioner into my foils this month too. I enjoy it also!! That Eadem sounds so good! The results speak for itself!! Darn about the Voluspa hand cream. I keep meaning to check if it’s on the Canadian site to try it out. 

Those steam eye mask is so good! I love them! Which scents did you try? I think I’ve only seen a few scents. It looks like you have more than I have seen before! 

Can’t wait to see how Freestyle April goes! 

@ather, I’ve tried all of the steam eye masks  from the original series - unscented, rose, chamomile, lavender, citrus (Yuzu) and of the limited edition scents - I’ve used the cypress (or hinoki) and vanilla (not pictured) ones; I’m sure they’ve had other scents that I’ve never heard of.  The brand occasionally does a collab with an animated brand and those always have cute prints. Those collabs go fast!! I usually find out about them after they’ve sold out. 😝 

The Verb shampoo & conditioner always gets bumped by another shampoo and conditioner set. 😆 I’m trying to keep my hallway closet from looking like storage for products so for the last couple of years, I’ve arbitrarily decided that I should only keep on hand, up to 3 shampoos / 3 conditioners and 1-2 detox shampoos. This is the first year I will meet that goal, even counting the shampoo and conditioner I plan to pick up during the sale. Yes!! 😃 

Was a million times delayed in posting... but I did pull out a foil a day for March.  Lots of face masks as I have LOTS to get through and my skin has been quite dry lately.  I was sick over last weekend and dropped the ball a bit there, but that only means my skincare needs to step up this next week.  I'm currently with 10 foils left to finish two of which are currently open and in use.  So far that Farmacy Honey Savior All-in-One Skin Repair Salve 1.6 oz/ 46 g sample I got from @sister13 at Galantines is a winnnnner!  Its not as thick as Vaseline, but feels like it gives the same barrier both on my face and my lips. Also loving the ease and speed of the Fresh Glow Powder!

337602833_1226552674896913_5699419340447943588_n.jpg

Conversation Stats
Photos111
  • A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg
  • MTXX_MH20230129183142501.jpg
  • February Foils.jpeg
  • February Foils 2.jpeg
  • 329617520_1881335318909767_5594684371409544586_n.jpg
  • 20230211_161143.jpg
  • CBD74025-7F2E-45F1-A34E-23EC3ACD70A2.jpeg
  • February Foils Challenge - update.jpg
  • 20230228_170158.jpg