Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

fragrances celebrities actually wear

If it isn't obvious, I love Dita von Teese. I've known for awhile that she is not a fan of sweet, fruity florals. She's spoken in the past about Cacharel's Lou Lou and Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs and I think there was a Serge Lutens as well, but I cannot recall which one. I was browsing through her Depop account and here is a list of perfumes she listed for sale

• Dior Diorella, Diorama, Eau Fraiche
  • Bvlgari Eau Thé Vert
  • Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile
  • Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau
  • Menard L'eau de Kasaneka
  • Chantal Thomass EDP, this is a Parisian lingerie company
  • Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
  • Fifi Chachnil EDP, another Parisian lingerie company 
  • Houbigant, Quelques Violettes
  • Histoires de Parfums, 1969, 1876, 1826, Ambre 114
  • Lubin Nuit
  • Lanvin, Arpege, Rumeur, Oud & Rose

Anyway, I thought it might be fun if people could post here about perfumes worn by celebrities they like or even perfumes you can imagine certain stars wearing 🙂

Re: fragrances celebrities actually wear

Beyonce Knowles has her own fragrance line but she is a fan other other houses as well.

Her first fragrance was actually her mother's, 273 for Women by Fred Hayman. It's a floral scent with an amber and sandalwood drydown.

She also is reported to enjoy anything by Creed and Caron's Fleur de Rocaille, another floral with an amber and sandalwood base.

Lists also mention Armani's Diamonds, but she was the face of the perfume so take that as you will.

She reports enjoying Diptyque candles as well, including Opopanax.

Spoiler
beyonce-formation

Today's celebrity is Iman, former fashion model and entrepreneur born in Somalia

iman-for-scene-magazine-2

She released her own scent in 2000 called Essence of Iman which has been discontinued. I tried to find the notes but the best description was fresh fruits, exotic spices and warm woods which could be anything, really.

Iman is another fan of Piguet's Fracas. "I’ve worn Fracas for 25 years. There is a depth of mystery to the fragrance. It is my fragrance now and I will never change it."

She also enjoys Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino and Diptyque candles (Baies and Gardenia)

Today's celebrity is French actress Catherine Deneuve who loves perfume ❤️ Her tastes run very feminine and polished.

Perfumes she's mentioned include

• Fresh - Rose Menthée
  • Jo Malone
  • Frédéric Malle
  • Guerlain - L’Heure Bleue

• Annick Goutal - Sables (her first perfume)
  • Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan, Un Lys, Rose de Nuit
  • Diptyque - l’Ombre dans l’Eau

Francis Kurkdjian's Lumiere Noire for Her is a rose-patchouli originally created as a bespoke scent for her.

She also had her own scent Deneuve through Avon in the 80s. It was a green floral chypre. Online descriptions of it sound sooooo good.

catherine-deneuve-chanel-no-5

Today's celebrity is Audrey Hepburn whose signature scent is said to be Krigler's English Promenade 19, described in InStyle as, At first mist, the notes of orange flower, neroli, and citrus give off a sweet aroma, but once it hits your skin, a hint of musk begins to emerge and gives the scent a creamy twist that's anything but cloying. "It's sparkling and sweet, and it embodies the feminine elegance that was her trademark," Krigler adds. "I think those features still resonate with women today."

Guerlain also made a scent for her called L'interdit, described by Tatler as a heady, floral fragrance, it features orange blossom, jasmine and tuberose.

audrey-hepburn-book-50s-ss10

I'm going to post about another visual artist today, Frida Kahlo 🙂 She is said to have worn

• Shocking by Schiaparelli, a woody oriental with a honey-civet base in an hourglass shaped bottle
  • Tabu by Dana, a lush floriental in a violin-shaped bottle. It was advertised with the tagline, the forbidden fragrance
  • Emir by Dana, an oriental leather

frida%20kahlo%20self-portrait%20with%20monkey%201940_0

The Brooklyn Museum has an exhibit on Kahlo and is presenting five scents she wore

• Roger & Gallet’s “Jean-Marie Farina”; Released: 1806
    Notes: Bergamot, lemon, orange, petitgrain, carnation, rose, rosemary, neroli, cedar, clove, myrtle, sandalwood, musk, white amber and vetiver
  • Chanel No. 5; Released: 1921
    Notes: Aldehydes, neroli, ylang-ylang, bergamot, Amalfi lemon, iris, rose, lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, orris root, vetiver, patchouli, oak moss, civetta, sandalwood, musk, amber, vanille
  • Schiaparelli’s “Shocking”; Released: 1936
    Notes: Bergamot, tarragon, aldehydes, jasmine, narcissus, ylang-ylang, rose, white honey, musk, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, clove and civetta 
  • Dana “Emir”; Released: 1936 (discontinued)
    Notes: Citrus, rose, jasmine, incense, spice, leather 
  • Guerlain’s “Shalimar”; Released: 1925  
    Notes: Lemon and bergamot, jasmine, may rose, opoponax, tonic bean, vanilla, iris, Peru balsam, gray amber.

I'm reading about Andy Warhol's perfume collection today! He was a huge collector. Apparently he claimed he liked to wear a scent straight for 3 months and then would never wear it again so that when he smelled it, he would be transported to those 3 months again!

His most collected labels were Caron, including Yatagan which @Vmaster introduced me too, Guerlain, Chanel, Pierre Cardin and Halston who he was friends with. From the # of bottles used, it seems Warhol's favourite wears were

• Guerlain, Apres L'Ondee
  • Gres, Cabochard
  • Caron, Bellodgia
  • Jacomo, Eau Cendree
  • Dior, Eau Sauvage
  • Chanel, Antaeus
  • YSL, Opium
  • Nina Ricci, Farouche
  • Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
  • Carven, Ma Griffe
  • Pierre Cardin, Cardin

@pocketvenus I heard Warhol was a huge collector!  I've been to the Andy Warhol museum, and saw some of his collection of cookie jars.  I wonder if his collection of fragrances was ever on display.  They recently re-vamped the museum, and I've been meaning to go again.  (That's such a neat idea he had to only wear a scent for 3 months!)  

@greeneyedgirl107, yes, he was a huge collector! The article I read said that his perfume collection is indeed housed in his museum. Not sure if there are multiple ones, this one is in Pittsburgh. He also did some perfume art

7dfd81b22b443f2164b93b44e15ff355

Love the perfume art @pocketvenus !  Thanks for posting!  

And yes, the museum is in Pittsburgh.  I think it's the only one.  Apparently it's the largest museum dedicated to a single artist.  It has seven floors, and a lot of neat stuff.  I especially liked the correspondence he saved - like a letter from Jackie O.  

@pocketvenus What a fun thread!  I wish I knew more about perfumes so I could participate.  I'll enjoy reading what BICers post!

Today I looked up the perfumes of Courtney Love. Fracas definitely suits her!

"I’m also really into perfume, clearly. I’m a Fracas girl—when I was growing up, I only wore that, and I don’t change it up very regularly. Well…I do cheat on Fracas. I have almost every Kilian perfume that he’s made. And a lot of Amouage fragrances, which are several hundred bucks a bottle. Sometimes I do these ones: Homage and Gold by Amouage. I feel like you would wear them if you won an Academy Award. Gold is a really heavy perfume, but you kind of feel like the Queen of England when you wear it—it’s a huge smell. Then, I have my Kilian: Back to Black, which has tobacco, cherry; it’s very rock and roll. There is also Straight to Heaven, which is really beautiful. And then here's Love & Tears, which is actually one of my favorites, not just because of the title; it’s so sexy. I’m a huge perfume collector."

"My perfume history is checkered, but I found Fracas in 1985 via an agent I shared with Uma. It was so white-floral and heady. I collect and wear many other perfumes. The owners of Aedes de Venustas in the West Village love me. I’m a regular on the Fragrantica and Bois de Jasmin sites. I wear a lot of By Kilian, some Amouage, and Carnal Flower Frederic Malle, which is like Fracas on a lot of steroids. In Seattle, while married to Kurt, I wore a lot of Quelques Fleurs, which I can’t wear again. But I always come back to Fracas. I love it the most and it’s my go-to. It makes me so happy. My daughter also wears it. No one can ignore you when you’re wearing it, yet it’s not annoying. It smells to me like a baby’s head, a field of dreamy white meadow flowers, and a touch of sex."

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 78 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
Photos6
  • 7dfd81b22b443f2164b93b44e15ff355
  • frida%20kahlo%20self-portrait%20with%20monkey%201940_0
  • audrey-hepburn-book-50s-ss10
  • catherine-deneuve-chanel-no-5
  • iman-for-scene-magazine-2
  • beyonce-formation
testing