Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

What was your first perfume obsession?

I remember the first time I really loved a perfume. I was in middle school, so 12 or 13 years old. I was going through my Aunt's Nordstrom catalogue and found a D&G L'Imperatrice sample. I mentioned how much I liked it, and she surprised me that christmas with my own bottle! That's when I really started to love fragrances. I still have the original bottle 🙂 and it's still one of my all time favorites! So I ask you: what perfume sparked your obsession? Tell us the story if you can't remember the name!

Re: What was your first perfume obsession?

I have always loved fragrances! When I was younger I loved body spray from Bath & Body Works, Gap and Victoria's Secret, and my very first bottle of perfume was Tommy Girl. 

All the talk of Xtina reminds me that during the heyday of celeb perfumes, I was totally into Gwen Stefani's LAMB for a hot minute 🙂 One of the first perfume samples I had made by Sephora ❤️

28beachbod9

I loved the harajuku girls bc the doll bottles were so cute!

@pocketvenus  Ohhh the LAMB stage of Gwen’s career... The early 2000s were a unique time 😂 What was this fragrance like?

@PinkEvergreenIt was a clean and fresh abstract floral that somehow managed to be shouty 😛

I'm not sure if I remember the first! 90s scents like CK One and the GAP scents were really popular and I enjoyed them but I can't say I was anywhere close to obsessed back then the way I am now. Two houses that got me really interested again are Tom Ford and Frederic Malle.

PRIVATE-BLEND-COLLECTION

madethought_fredericmalle_509-769x1000

I liked a lot of scents when I was a little kid. But my first real obsession was Dior Poison 1 oz I was a budding goth punk when it launched, and the overall Poison brand concept was right up my alley. I smelled it, fell in love, and visited stores to spray the testers on myself at least once a week before I finally got my own bottle for my birthday or Christmas. It was my signature scent in the late 80s and early 90s. I haven’t worn it since, but now I have an urge to smell it again. 

This is thread is fun! I love reading other people’s answers. 🙂

Just about to respond with this same answer, @WinglessOne. Dior Poison, yep me too.

@WinglessOne  Yes, it’s a great thread. Thanks for starting it, @katiegurl 😊

Loving the nostalgia in this thread! I definitely went through a Body Shop phase and an Exclamation phase. My first real fragrance obsession though was a drugstore perfume called Fetish. I remember it being light, fresh, and kind of floral. Perfect for my teenage self, even with the somewhat questionable name haha. Does anyone else remember this one?

Edited to add: I found a picture!

Fetish90s.PNG

@StephanieBT  That bottle is definitely familiar! 

@StephanieBT  Wow, I have NEVER seen this before! Around which time period did you wear it?

@PinkEvergreen I think it would have been around the late 90s or early 2000s. 

@treestar86 I don't remember Christina Aguilera being the face of the brand, but the timing sounds right to me! 

I guess I remember bc I was a big fan, and also the name seemed very fitting so I guess that's why I thought it was her brand. lol 😛

I looked it up and there was a post on mtv news (remember that!?) from 2000, announcing that christina would be the face of the brand, which must have been around when I remember seeing it!

which also reminded me, bonne bell had some perfumes that my friend loved...

omg yes, I totally remember seeing that at the store!  I thought it was christina aguilera's brand, but maybe she was just in the ad or something?

@katiegurl  I have another one to add. My take on a mature, classy perfume in my later high school years in the 90s was this classic:

B1C7DB71-84D9-4D0E-BBC9-8EA1C596E7FD.jpeg

Exclamation by Coty. 

I loved that one too. It was so much fun.

@katiegurl - My first was CK One and then Ralph Lauren Ralph (blue bottle).  OMG I just remembered Gap Grass!  I absolutely loved that one.  The closest I have found was Lush Grass, but they discontinued it back in 2016.

GAP Grass!! I couldn’t remember the name of the perfume I loved from the Gap!

I think my first perfume was a solid one in a pretty little round tin from yves rocher in middle school.  I remember dabbing a little on before school... 🙂 cool water was all the rage back then, and I liked the samples from the magazines, but was poor so never actually had it.  then I remember smelling lancome tresor in a magazine and thinking wow, it smells so grown up and ladylike!  that was like THE definition of perfume for me, probably also bc kate winslet was in the ad.  another one that I was obsessed with the samples from the magazines was ck truth, but of course they discontinued that also, so I never got to try it, though I've seen it online. 

I think the first one that I was obsessed with, as an 'adult', and actually bought, was SJP lovely.

53 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • 41354E1D-B9A4-4A80-8BBF-54D8D7B64E44.jpeg
  • B1C7DB71-84D9-4D0E-BBC9-8EA1C596E7FD.jpeg
  • Fetish90s.PNG
  • PRIVATE-BLEND-COLLECTION
  • madethought_fredericmalle_509-769x1000
  • 28beachbod9
  • The Original Warm Vanilla Sugar
  • Comptoir Sud Pacifique
  • Cool Water