Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

What was your first perfume obsession?

I remember the first time I really loved a perfume. I was in middle school, so 12 or 13 years old. I was going through my Aunt's Nordstrom catalogue and found a D&G L'Imperatrice sample. I mentioned how much I liked it, and she surprised me that christmas with my own bottle! That's when I really started to love fragrances. I still have the original bottle ๐Ÿ™‚ and it's still one of my all time favorites! So I ask you: what perfume sparked your obsession? Tell us the story if you can't remember the name!

Re: What was your first perfume obsession?

My first scent memory was pine sol after school. They mopped the hallways and the strong scent makes me think of butter cookies and red punch as a snack. I keep a small bottle under my cabinet as a reminder. I went on to get a sample of Princess Bourgese from the mall. Then I was hooked on Amarige by Givenchy in my early 20s. I now collect perfume minis. I got a small set of Ariana Grande yesterday to try. I was into Michael Kors for awhile. My favorite scents are peach and citrus. I'm more of a floral lady. The best natural flower is a night blooming Jasmine or gardenia. Surprisingly, I can't tolerate synthetic bottled gardenia sprays. Only the natural sweet aroma. I also like pear body sprays. I wore beautiful day from BBW today for a fashion shoot. I gave some lotion to the models and set loose shimmer into it on the de'colete. We trade scents backstage if they are not perfect for us. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I also collect grapefruit scented items like the body shop and yes to. I'm definitely a fragrance wardrobe gal. I have a whole armoire of scents. Evidently I am designing perfumes now. I watch chemistry videos. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Also my cats, they smell like popcorn to me. Its their enzymes. I like hazlenut and sweet scents like creme brulee and caramel, honey, and cotton candy. My first fauxpas was Red Door by Arden. I "lost" a box of cosmetics a few times. My favorite splash was an all natural banana mist from whole foods market. I'm definitely a fruity chick. I'm not into musks. Neroli gives me a headache. I'm exploring sandlewood as of now. not sure. I will be buying more essential oils. I like sweet orange and lime so far. Coconut anything is amazing. I save them like some people are preppers. In case the malls close! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Anonymous Insider

My first obsession with spirits appeared two years ago. My children gave me GIVENCHY. Gentle, light, airy)))) Grateful to them!givengy.jpg

Mine was when I was about 12-13 years old. I loved Vanilla Fields by Coty, and it started my love affair with vanilla scented things ๐Ÿ˜„

Oh this is a fun walk down memory lane! 

Not ashamed to admit that i went through, probably, five bottles of Curious by Britney Spears during my middle school and early high school years. I can still imagine the smell in my brain! During those years i also loved Still by Jennifer Lopez (it was the era of pop star perfumes, i guess)

2019-08-14 11_55_04-Curious Perfume - Google Search.png2019-08-14 11_54_36-Still Jennifer Lopez Eau de Parfum _ FragranceNet.comยฎ.png

RE: What was your first perfume obsession?

My mother was a perfume junkie and I'd always be at her vanity spraying all of her different bottles, but I never really became obsessed with perfume until I found Bvlgari - Omnia Amethyste sitting out on my aunt's bathroom counter. I was just reading the fragrance notes in this EDT and I think it's why I'm so interested in scents with rose notes, still today. It's funny that I didn't realize how much of an impact this perfume had on me until I found this thread. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oh My Gosh! Is this the best question and group, or what!?

I was inspired (aka obsessed) with a few classic fragrances from my childhood, including:

GAP: Dream

Bath & Body Works: Cucumber Melon, Plumeria

Davidoff: Cool Water

Comptoir Sud Pacifique: Mora Bella, Vanille

and then I discovered my combo that I was loyal to for well over 10 years...

Thierry Mugler Angel and Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar

Adding some pictures, too!

Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum 0.8 oz/ 25 mL

COMPTOIR SUD PACIFIQUE - Vanille Extreme

Comptoir Sud PacifiqueComptoir Sud PacifiqueThe Original Warm Vanilla SugarThe Original Warm Vanilla SugarCool WaterCool WaterOld School B&BWOld School B&BWDream, by GAPDream, by GAP

@JaxElle  Your BBW photo brings back many memories! So does Angel: thatโ€™s what I began wearing more often than Poison in the mid-90s. I might even still have an Angel bottle somewhere, but I donโ€™t remember the last time I wore the perfume. Still, itโ€™ll always have a special place in my little heart: Angelโ€™s one of those perfumes that, surprisingly, nothing else smells like. And itโ€™s instantly recognizable: when you smell it on someone, you know exactly what it is. And now I canโ€™t get that scent out of my headโ€”err, nose. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

@JaxEllelove the pics, thanks for sharing! โค๏ธ

When I was about 15 my dad was working downtown in Toronto and he used to take the GO train in each day. One time in the summer when he came home he had three swag bags that GO Train was handing out for some promotion of their trains (I think it was their anniversary or it was a new train design). He gave one bag to my mom, one to my sister, and one to me. Inside the bags were some little things, but what I remember the most was there was little spray bottle samples of Marc Jacobs Daisy. It had just about launched as a brand new fragrance, and I immediately fell in love. My mom and sister didnโ€™t like it, but they gave me their vials as they saw how much my face lit up when I put it on. Flash-forward to my 21st birthday I had saved up money from my part-time job to buy my first-ever Sephora purchase: A Marc Jacobs Daisy gift set. I had held onto those three little vials for 6 years and spraying them sparingly until I could afford the biggest bottle, and lucky for me the biggest bottle came in a gift set with the roller ball and the body lotion! 

I still have the original bottle and rollerball, plus the Daisy Eau So Fresh bottle and roller ball, the Honey bottle and roller ball, and the Daisy Dream bottle ๐Ÿ’– I rotate through the scents with each season, but Daisy is still the one I spray whenever I want ๐Ÿ™‚ 

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/daisy-P191858?country_switch=ca&skuId=1029958&om_mmc=ppc-GG_20...

@GracieLuu  Aw, I love your family memory connected to Daisy, and your journey with that fragrance. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@WinglessOne thanks! Itโ€™s amazing what memories we associate with perfumes, but itโ€™s awesome reading so many peopleโ€™s memories associated with their first perfume obsession. 

RE: What was your first perfume obsession?

In junior high, I was a full-on Bath & Body Works girl. I was obsessed with either Sun Ripened Raspberry, or Cucumber Melon mists! But in high school, I took it up a notch. My mother took me to the mall for my 15th birthday, so I could pick out a gift (I was at that age where she wasnโ€™t quite sure what I was into). Weโ€™re passing through Macyโ€™s, and I sprayed some perfumes to see what they smelled like, just for the hell of it. BUT....I sprayed one that I just fell in love with!! It was Mambo by Liz Claiborne. Since I canโ€™t even begin to describe the scent and do it justice, I looked up what notes are in the scent : (Top notes: Mandarin Orange, Mango, Ylang-ylang Middle notes: Orange Blossom, Hibiscus, Ginger Base Notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Vanilla) โ€œHey Mom....I found my birthday present!โ€ She bought me a set that included a bottle of the perfume, a small lotion, and a body powder. AND, it came in a tote bag (Mom has that bag to this day, Iโ€™m almost 33!) ! It was a great present that really sparked my love for perfume!

Re: RE: What was your first perfume obsession?

@xteenab  Thanks for sharing those memories with us ๐Ÿ˜Š Itโ€™s nice when parents hang on to old stuff like that isnโ€™t it? My mom still wears my old Bart Simpson t-shirt from 1990 when she does her gardening lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ That thing just refuses to die! 

When I was just a wee little troublemaking brat my sister had the perfume Exclamation! Oh boy did I love it! I still do, I won't lie. My mother also had this little collection of four mini's and one of them was Revlon Fire & Ice. I think it was Revlon. I really liked that one too. I tried it again recently and it didn't smell like I remembered, I don't like the smell now. 

Exclamation!-

Exclamation Perfume

Exclamation Perfume by Coty, Exclamation, launched in 1988, is a warm, spicy perfume sure to get you noticed. Bright and exciting, it works as an invigorating daytime scent or a captivating fragrance for nights on the town. Apricot, peach, bergamot, and green notes harmoniously open the scent. Juicy and energizing, the fruits are brought back down to earth with the sugary green aroma. Jasmine, lily of the valley, heliotrope, and orris root blend together in a romantic bouquet of enchanting sweetness. Amber, sandalwood, musk, and cinnamon lay at the base, enriching the perfume with a spicy warmth. 

Fire & Ice-

Image result for fire and ice perfume sample bottle

An intriguing game of opposites, Fire & Ice cologne for women succeeds in remaining fresh while soothing your senses with its warm amber-centered fragrant blend. The scent opens with juicy tangerine and exotic osmanthus notes, then emerges as a floral combination grounded in magnolia and orchid tones before settling on the final amber aromas. Created in 1994 by Revlon, this fragrance has a comforting quality with a surprising crisp twist, like the fresh taste of icy lemonade by a winter fire.

@Samtian  Exclamation seems to be one of the most common first perfumes here ๐Ÿ˜Š In addition to the fragrance, I loved how easy the lid was to take off and snap back on. Was so satisfying lol...

@PinkEvergreen It definitely was! I still have a bottle on my vanity.

I was poor so a big drugstore fragrance queen I wore Gloria Vanderbilt as holy grail and exclamation was so good. My first expensive perfume was Estee Lauder Youth Dew cause it was my grandmothers. I still wear it. I wore and loved every Avon release. Imari,Ciari, Haiku, etc. But my first perfume crush was Paris by YSL. I lusted after that expensive perfume but couldnโ€™t afford it. A friend gave it to me for my birthday and it was so precious. I wore it until I couldnโ€™t find it anymore. Then I desperately tried in vain to find something that smelled exactly like it.

Discontinuing my Paris started my obsession with hoarding fragrance as I vowed to never let that happen to me again.

@howconnie  Aww how nice that you got it for your birthday. That was a good friend you had ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Yes, sheโ€™s a dear friend. Old friends are the best.

What was your first perfume obsession?

Thanks for all the replies so far, I loved reading them!
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • 41354E1D-B9A4-4A80-8BBF-54D8D7B64E44.jpeg
  • B1C7DB71-84D9-4D0E-BBC9-8EA1C596E7FD.jpeg
  • Fetish90s.PNG
  • PRIVATE-BLEND-COLLECTION
  • madethought_fredericmalle_509-769x1000
  • 28beachbod9
  • The Original Warm Vanilla Sugar
  • Comptoir Sud Pacifique
  • Cool Water