From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans

What scent do you think is under-represented in fragrance?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on what notes are under-represented in fragrances.  I see a lot of rose, peony, gardenia, amber, vanilla, jasmine, and orange.  But what about the unsung heroes, the hidden gems and the diamonds in the rough?

For me, it would have to be hyacinth.

Image result for hyacinth purple

In Western fragrances, I would say Ambergris and Taif rose.

Re: What scent do you think is under-represented in fragrance?

Unusual spices. Cinnamon leaf is strong, but very striking as one note in a complex blend. I love the way Phlur uses long pepper in Moab.

I would like to see more floral orientals

Floriental.

Floriental.

I would say herbal/green/grassy notes are under represented.  I have been on the hunt for a grassy perfume, something similar to Lush's discontinued 'Grass' shower gel.  Heck, I'd even buy Gap's discontinued Grass perfume if they produced more.

@greeneyedgirl107, @alexasteph - I found my signature scent this weekend at Nordstrom!  It's Philosykos by Diptyque.  The opening is that fresh cut grass scent I've been searching for, but midway through the coconut and fig soften that crisp opening, and then the white cedar grounds it (giving a Wood Sage & Sea Salt vibe).  It's not for everyone, not the best longevity, but I had to go buy it yesterday. 

@modernwarpaint SO happy you found what you are looking for - and something that lasts, too!  

Thank you for your help, @greeneyedgirl107 - I never could find the Kate Spade one you suggested.

@modernwarpaint Kate Spade's Truly Gracious is very green to my nose.  I wouldn't say it's grassy, but you might like it 🙂

Image result for kate spade truly gracious

@greeneyedgirl107 - Thank you for the suggestion!  I will see if Sephora has it in store on Friday and give it a smell. 

@modernwarpaint I think I read somewhere that only Ulta has it???  I sampled it at Ulta, and it's been on my mind ever since.  

@modernwarpaint Maybe give Pinrose Treehouse Royal a try. It's more mossy and earthy than grassy, but it might be along the lines of what you're looking for. 

@modernwarpaint - Commodity has a scent called Moss.  I'm not good with descriptions so maybe someone else who has tried it can give you an idea of what it smells like.  All I can say is I like it.  😄

@alexasteph - Thank you!  I know the Sephoras in San Antonio don't carry Pinrose scents.  I'd love to test them before committing to one, maybe I'll get lucky with a sample. 

@modernwarpaint Their scents are really nice, I like almost all of them. Sephora doesn't carry a trial pack with Treehouse Royal, but their website directly has a few options. They don't do sample vials, they do wipes which they call Petals, which are the best for travel. I like to mix and match their scents too. If you haven't check out there line, I high recommend it.

@modernwarpaint - What @alexasteph said.  Pinrose's website has a nice sample set that I bought when it was still available on Sephora's website.  It's called Rollerball Wardrobe.  Treehouse Royal is in the set.  I bought the set without having tried any of the scents, something I normally do not do.  This was not a mistake!  Of the 10 scents, 1 gave me a migraine and 2 I did not like (I do not like food scented perfumes).  The rest I love!  Garden Gangster is my favorite.  The company website also has other types of sample sets.  You should think about it.

Garden Gangster is a great option for a citrusy "green"! But I agree that true green scents are frustratingly out of fashion right now. Most of the great ones that come to my mind have been discontinued for decades.

It has floral as well as green, but another one to try is LUSH Kerbside Violet. Website only. Very fresh, and emphasizes the violet leaf much more than the flower. I love Treehouse Royal, but I agree that it's mossy, not grassy/leafy.

@alexasteph - so I just spent like an hour browsing all the Pinrose scents. lol  The treehouse one looks right up my alley!  I saw a few value sets by Pinrose which I may purchase during the 3x points event.  Thanks for the recommendation. 🙂

@alexasteph Oooh!  Mossy sounds nice!  Maybe I should get one for my sister for V-day.

Well it looks like I agree with plenty of other posters in this thread, because I came in to say woody fragrances.  I had a sample of Juliette Has A Gun's Another Oud that I wore last month; it was such a nice scent that it made me wonder why wood was such a rare note in perfume.  The explanation that it's historically been seen as a more "male" scent makes some sense, but nevertheless, I'd like to see more fragrances like Another Oud.

Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 156 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
testing