Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 19- Mugler, Angel Muse

Notes- Hazelnut Cream

Eh its ok I guess. Not anything I'd ever buy though. 

http://www.sephora.com/angel-muse-P410448?skuId=1837053&icid2=mugler_bestsellers_carousel_us:p410448

Day 19: Narciso by Narciso Rodriguez.  This doesn't smell bad on me, but it's not my style.  It makes me feel like I should be wearing an '80s-style power suit with huge shoulder pads, and ferociously red lipstick.  

I really like Narciso....... on other people.  It smells awful on me!  I can definitely see where you're getting the '80s power suit vibe though.

Nothing wrong with that. 

Day 19:  Olympia by Paco Rabanne.

I really love this perfume.  It has a nice mix of vanilla, floral, powder, and woodsy notes.  The bottle is also very pretty.

Day 19: Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir

I have been wearing rather heavy, cool-weather perfumes of late, so I decided to cleanse my palate with a flowery, pretty perfume I've always felt was safe for work. Didn't turn any heads but I did feel light and fresh for a good 6 hours, and longer on my clothes.

Notes: lily of the valley, sambac jasmine, musky nougatine, vibrant wood.

Day Nineteen: Frederic Malle’s Noir Epices

A stunning oriental, free of any sweetness or vanilla, not for the faint of heart. NE's rich bouquet pairs sumptuously rich woods and floral notes while balancing them with the piquant bite of warming spices: pepper, nutmeg, clove. The initial bristle dries down into a pleasant edge on my skin. In spite of its unapologetic opulence, it still feels pristine and controlled.

This one sounds so interesting @pocketvenus!

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Notes:
Sweet Pea, Bergamot, Geranium, Golden Quince, Freesia, Patchouli, Rain-Tipped Damask and Centifolia Roses.

http://www.sephora.com/my-burberry-P388218?skuId=1646603&icid2=burberry_lp_bestsellers_carousel_us:p...

This scent has lasted all day on me with no fading. I'm seriously impressed with the staying power! Also got compliments on it so that's always a plus 😉

Spoiler

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Notes:  Lemon Blossom, Lotus Flower, Freesia, Dew Drop Accord, Precious Woods

This is my favorite Nest scent!

Spoiler

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 19: Dior J'adore

I usually only buy rollerballs, but this one doesn't come in a rollerball so I have a 1 oz bottle. But I'm not even mad that I couldn't get it in a rollerball, and when I use up the bottle, I'll very likely re-buy it. If we are talking classics, have it in your collection because you need to type fragrance, this is definitely one of them. It's not trendy, it's not sweet, it's not overpowering. J'adore is a grown up scent that will never get old, in my opinion. I never would have liked it as a teenager, but as an adult, the musky floral is perfect. I can see how someone might think it's too "perfumey" though, especially if they prefer sweeter scents. I can also see how the musk may not combine with certain body chemistries well, but thankfully, it wears very nicely on me, and lasts all day. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)

I had a bottle of this a couple of years ago, and used it all up as well. I previously wore the EDT when I was a teenager (16, 17 or so?) and when I started wearing the regular version, DH actually asked if I had worn this when we were dating, 10 years ago. I was so impressed. Obviously the scent left a lasting impression on him!

I have a bottle of this and I do love it.  I need to wear it more!

super fancy today !

DEMETER - green tea.

notes: green tea.

smells of: green tea. the 90s. in a good way.

i just love this. fresh, green, a bit sweet and milky. clean, but not precious. i may be in a good mood when i'm wearing this, but i'm not to be messed with either.

demeter is fun. they don't last, it's true. bring the bottle with you to freshen up, no prob. what i lovvvvvve demeter fragrances for is that sometimes i have a scent 'craving'. perhaps i'm feeling nostalgic for something, or prepping mentally for the turn of the seasons. or sometimes i'm wanting to explore the nature of a singular note a bit more. 

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE tam dao EDT
TOCCA colette
ISSEY MIYAKE l'eau d'issey EDT
TOM FORD santal blush

@jemly I have always liked that Demeter fragrances, but they definitely do not last at all!

This description makes me want to try this!

I have earl grey tea!! I agree Demeter is super fun. I don't know where to get it in Canada but last year in Vegas, DH and I were killing time and we went into a CVS with a huge assortment of them. I had tons of fun smelling everything! I probably smelled like jasmine, green tea, lemon and earl grey tea as I walked out... I loved these 4 and couldn't decide which to buy, so kept spraying and sniffing 😄

Next time, I want to smell Lobster.

whoa i've never been into a CVS with demeter ??!! i've been ordering them directly online.....

This reminds me of when I was obsessed with Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea sometime in the late '90/early '00s! Now I want to check out Demeter's version. 

And yeah, Demeter is great. I have a bottle of Fuzzy Navel somewhere simply because I have fond memories of consuming fuzzy navels in my college dorm!

Day 19: ELd'O Putain des Palaces

My notes - I don't like this one.  It's very powdery and somehow makes me feel both juvenile and like an old lady.

Real notes - Leather, Rice Powder, Amber.

This was also far too powdery for me but I could see it working on the right person. I found it young and dirty, very crass in that way. Like a twentysomething owning it in her first pair of six inch heels.

Personally, if I was aiming for a similar kind of dirty, youthful insouciance, I'd pick ELd'O's Rien.

@txcatxit's exactly what you think 🙂

4,022 Replies
testing