Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I completely understand @lyravega! I've largely been unimpressed with the rewards (and I miss the days where 10K points could get me a trip to Paris lol). But after months of waiting, I was happy to grab up the Armani brush set last month. I still have a chunk of points left and will be waiting for an opportunity to use them lol.

I have that problem with many Atelier fragrances, too. Love them, but most do not last. 

And yay for new fragrances!

Feb 6:  Philosophy - Amazing Grace

Notes:  Bergamot, Lily of the Valley, Musk

How disappointing!  I've heard so many good things about this scent.  When I put it on, I kept waiting for something--anything--to kick in, but nothing.  If a scent can smell like nothing, this is what nothing would smell like.  If you want to wear a scent, but not really, this is it.  I'm sure I'll wear it again just to be sure.

@Titian06 Rumor has it that Coty has reformulated Amazing Grace and watered it down significantly quite a while ago. Such a shame.

I prefer this as a body wash. It's got a nice, clean, fresh scent, but not if you want to actually smell something. The lotion is alright, but the perfume is no good. I find it to be overly floral and overly powdery. 

Feb 4:  I went to SiJCP and sampled a bunch of fragrances many of you used in the challenge.  I can't even describe how I small, but it can't be too bad since the cats didn't run and hide!

I bought rollerballs of E&J Nirvana Bourbon, Dolce & Gabanna Dolce, and Marc Jacobs Decadence.

The ladies at SiJCP were great!  Very helpful and knowledgeable.  When I checked out, I bought the PTR 500 pt reward.  I asked to look at the ingredients first and one of the products has an ingredient that I'm sensitive to.  I asked if she could give me a sample of something else.  She said she'd make a sample of any PTR product I want.  I chose the new Cloud Cream.  Pretty awesome, huh?

When she handed my bag to me after checkout, she mentioned that she gave me some perfume samples (knowing I was there trying out perfumes I'm sure).  When I got home, she had give me SIX samples!  I've never received six samples of any combination before!  Cool!

I just had to share my awesome experience.

I'll be posting again on Monday with my new rollerballs and samples.  🙂

Feb 3: Creed Aventus For Her EDP sample: why oh why it has to be expensive .... I want a full size bottle of it.

Creed is so expensive but sometimes you can buy the testers, which are the bottles sent to stores for them to display and there were just too many so they don't come in the original boxes. I checked mine with the batch numbers and it's legit! They are sold on either FragranceBuy or FragranceX , but I don't know about newer releases. 

IMG_0238.JPG

Group photo!!

In conclusion, I ended up with only three fragrances I need to add to my collection and I appreciate every one I already own. Tried, tested and true!

Marc Jacobs Daisy, I have so many samples of this but I love it being so fresh and girly. It's the perfect addition for a daytime fragrance and the bottle is just so classic.

Giorgio Armani Si, couldn't stop sniffing myself and it had great staying power! 

MM By The Fireplace, I need it! I want to drink hot cocoa snuggled indoors while watching the snow fall outside...sigh...

Came here for the lovely perfume family photo!  Not part of this challenge, but I love looking at makeup/perfume collections! ❤️

@Haleyhale

Thanks! @Tamara76 I really need a way to organize my collection. I moved all these into place for the photo haha 

What a handsome group 😉 I see somebody is a fan of Creed 😉 Have you tried Aventus For Her? I'm new to the brand but that one has my heart 😉 I wish it is cheaper uggh!

@blackkitty2014 I have tried it, love that one and also the new Royal Princess Oud! I spritzed it in store and it had amazing power for the full day. My husband has the original Aventus and it's so sexy too! 

Couldn't stay away 😉

Histoires de Parfums' 1740 Marquis de Sade

A burnished, spicy leather with a gourmand touch. Opens with a tangy bitter dark chocolate and becomes more dusty, smoky and slightly sweet in the dry down. One has the impression of a very thick, yet supple hide. Some people find it too animalistic; I personally don't find it overly so. It's uncompromising yet approachable. Definitely recommended to leather fans.

Very different from Etat Libre's interpretation of de Sade which was more refined. It's fun comparing interpretations - maybe I'll try Josephine Baker next (Etat Libre's Remarkable People vs Byredo's Bal d'Afrique)

Based on two words (cherry and almond) in a post by @Libellules in this challenge for Serge Lutens, Rahat Loukoum, I had to find a sample!  I just got my little vial yesterday, and of course,  I'm in love with a $300 perfume now.  Sigh....  Darn you!! 🙂

If I may ask... Where did you find a sample of it, @AMHWKI ? I'd very much like to try that one, as well! And, yes. It is all @Libellules fault! 😉 ( Childhood memories of yummy cherry ( and/or rose ) almond rahat loukoum plays significant part in it, too. I guess it has this nostalgic note to it for me, as well. )

Thank you, @AMHWKI and @Libellules !

I've never used The Perfumed Court... Who are they, what are they? And... Why wouldn't it be easy? So many questions! 😄

@lyravega , To be honest, I was so excited to find a sample and I was just wanting someone who looked legit on the internet.  They are a decanting service for the most part.  Pick your scent and they will take it out of an original bottle and pour it into a size of your choosing.  For people like me that are not that close to major retailers in major markets, it worked out great!  Go check them out - lots of goodies!

@lyravega I used The Perfumed Court.  It was easy but I will warn you, it does take awhile.  I guess I'm spoiled with flash shipping :-).  @Libellules is really in trouble now!

Sorry @lyravega 😉

I'm not @AMHWKI, but Surrender to Chance has this, as does The Perfumed Court!

Sorry (or sorry not sorry? ;)) to have enabled @AMHWKI! 😄

Perhaps keep an eye on eBay? I snapped up a NIB, still sealed bell jar for $200 last week :x.

Or maybe Barney's will have a higher rebates + GWP soon enough 😉

4,022 Replies
testing