Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@Samtian - These aren't collabs.  @Margalee is experimenting with layering these scents.

@Titian06 Ah cool! Thank you!

I'd say the gist of it is puddles vs campfires. Ha ha

For fun I tried a combo. I wanted to take a rose perfume but give it a good green snap. I started with Aerin Evening Rose and layered with Banana Republic Vintage Green. It was fine, just not quite what I was looking for. I will try Evening Rose with Diptyque eau de Sens. I was afraid eau de Sens would overpower the Evening Rose so I opted for the BR first. I don't have many foliage scented fragrances so I won't be at this long! I don't have many heavily rose scents either so maybe it will be Physician's Formula Rosé and eau de Sens...

This does sound like fun, @Margalee !  I'm not very good at layering scents.  Maybe I'll try to come up with something. 🤔

Trying the reformulated Tom Ford's Black Orchid EDT. I tried this a few years ago and it was so muddled in the notes that it was like when you mix paints and go oops! Muddy brownish yellow-green. You could smell much more of the plum in the original edt. This is a less heavy, with a bit more of what I call "high florals". I'm guessing though that there isn't really much more but probably just seems that way without the deep anchors in the edp. Personally, I do find the edt more feminine. Even bordering on the typical yet more pricey style of woman's floral scent from less recent years. The footprint of the edp saves the edt from being typical for me. It was nice to get a whiff of what I associate with Chanel style fragrances running through this one. Ah, typical and Chanel in the same paragraph. Even I'm cringing. Hah hah. I prefer the edp but the edt is worthy too. I do wish for just a splash more of the plum but I guess that's how muddy yellowish green happens...

@Margalee Oh that is sad they reformulated it, I loved the old version lol. Guess I'll have to try the new one sometime.

Tried Chris Rusak's Ochre, a rich tobacco scent that's ambery and deep, which is a type of tobacco I prefer, as opposed to the lighter, powdery varieties. Opens with a mellow sweetness, tinged with honey, imparting a sensation that's rich, moist and sticky. As the scent develops, the stickiness gives way to something a little smokier and more textured with a pleasant metallic twang. However, the scent's strength by far is its alluring dry down, which settles into a cozy, musky sandalwood.

Excellent value at $130 for 30ml.

OCHRE-SQ-BACKLIT

@pocketvenus  yeah, I agree with @itsfi . Very intriguing, but how much of a metallic twang? After Tom Ford's Metallic scent it's scared me off of metallic perfumes.

@pocketvenus, this one intrigues me. I'm a little hesitant about the metallic twang - metallic notes don't usually work so well with my body chemistry. Does that metallic twang linger? 

@Margalee @itsfi It's definitely pretty subtle. I would not classify this as a metallic or challenging fragrance - or even one that smells particularly synthetic. But sometimes the earth can smell sharp to me.

I had put off YSL Black Opium Le Parfum for a long time because the other Black Opiums are nose tweakers for me. I went ahead a gave it a whirl or two and so far so good. I really like it and am considering purchasing it. I got on Sephora today and guess what? They are launching Black Opium Red! Haha I am questioning is this akin to the OG or Le Parfum?

I have the Eau de Parfum (gratis) and Over Red. I have a sample of Le Parfum and tested Illicit Green in store and yesterday, I wore it all day on one wrist and Over Red on the other. One thing to note is that for some reason I don't really pick up the coffee notes in any of these, or if I do, it is very fleeting, which is a bummer for me personally because I love the smell of coffee. That said, here's a quick take on the four - 

• Le Parfum - the opening isn't my favorite but it dissipates quickly and settles into a creamy, cozy vanilla - it's heavy on the vanilla but not in an overwhelmingly heady or overly sweet way. 

• Eau de Parfum - the vanilla here is much softer, lighter than Le Parfum with more of a sweetness and floral scent to it that is present for as long as the fragrance lasts on me. 

• Illicit Green - this is lighter than Le Parfum and Eau de Parfum. Maybe lighter is not the right word because the scent does wear nicely throughout the day. Maybe ... thinner is a better descriptor. It feels thinner than Le Parfum and Eau de Pafum. There's a very faint sweetness to it and a freshness to it that sets it apart from the others - it has more of a green bent (makes sense given the name). 

• Over Red - this has the same "weight" or thinness to it as Illicit Green, but also wears well and long. It differentiates itself from the others in the almond-y sweetness that comes through. Of all four YSLs, this is the one where the fruit notes are more noticeable to me. Slight cherry scent, more like real cherries; not syrupy sweet like maraschino cherries. It's lighter, less bright and sweet than any of the Tom Ford cherry perfumes; this also does not have the smokiness that one of the Tom Ford scents has.

@Margalee @haleyvvvv 

@itsfi  

I did get to test the Over Red recently. Wow, syrupy cherries in the beginning! Not a bad thing. I think I like Le Parfum more, but would need a couple more sniffs to be sure. Over Red is a bit stronger of a fragrance than Black Opium Le Parfum for me and more "perfumey" than Le Parfum. I would put it in the one to two sprays at most category. I do enjoy Over Red but need to get a small vial for a few days wear.

Interesting @Margalee. I didn't pick up syrupy. I have a travel size of Over Red; will have to pull it out and try it again. You know, I'd love to see YSL / Sephora have a promo gwp for it. Or even a mini sampler / discovery set with a few of the various fragrances from that range.

@itsfi Ooh I need to try over red. Sounds amazing, thanks for the notes!

@itsfi Oh, thanks so much for the review! Sounds hopeful! I'll have to get out there and see is it sets off my sensitivities.

Thank you, @itsfi!! It sounds really nice!! 

@Margalee, I have the new Black Opium Red on its way to me and I have the original. I’ll check to see if I have Illicit Green; if not, I’ll aim to head to a Sephora with it to see if I can compare the three and report back. I’ll check to see if I have a sample of the Illicit Green as well. 

Out of curiosity, I took a peek at the INCI list online for all 3 scents. Do you know if you are allergic or sensitive to certain dyes? The OG and Illicit Green contain different dyes. The new Opium Red does not appear to have any dyes. 

@itsfi Not that I know of but I do find it curious that the OG and the flankers set off my allergies but Le Parfum doesn't. Good thinking to compare their ingredients  I'll have to check that out.

@itsfi - I'd love to hear your thoughts on Over Red! 🙂  I love the original and Illicit Green.

4,022 Replies
testing