Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Yea!  This one is fun!

fell behind on posting

Day 16 - 

La Vanilla - Vanilla coconut 

Notes:
Creamy Coconut, Tahitian Tiare Flower, Madagascar Vanilla

Day 17

Bobbi Brown  - Beach

What it does:

jasmine, sea spray, and mandarin, 

Day 18

Dior - Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet

Notes: Sicilian Orange Essence, Pink Peony, Damascus Rose, White Musks. 

Day 18:

Jo Malone -Nectarine Blossom & Honey Cologne

Description: London's Covent Garden early morning market. Succulent nectarine, peach and cassis and delicate spring flowers melt into the note of acacia honey. Sweet and delightfully playful.

LOVE this! I got a DS sample of this from a special friend 😉

This one sounds very yummy. 

Day 18:  Prada Candy Florale (sample card)

I like the Candy part.  The Florale part needs a little work.

Day 4 - TOM FORD santal blush EDP

this smells of sweet pencil shavings. in a good way.

this was a present from my mother for my birthday a year and a half ago. i'm an absolute sucker for dry sandalwood scents and the refined allure they give. 'santal blush' feels more glamorous than my earlier sandalwood entry in this challenge, diptyque tam dao, which is more of an everyday skin scent (in my opinion), due to the various 'indian spices' which give it a slight spicy stank. the good kind of stank that helps these sorts of scents melt into the skin so well (oud is infamous for this as well, and is a base note). santal blush is tam dao's promiscuous sister that ya can't judge because she's just too much fun.

Top: Indian spices of cumin, cinnamon, carrot seeds and fenugreek.

a floral middle of: jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose.

Base: Australian sandalwood, cedar, benzoin, musk and oud.

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE tam dao EDT
TOCCA colette
ISSEY MIYAKE l'eau d'issey EDT

I wanna try this! sounds right up my alley!

Day 18: ELd'O Jamin et Cigarette

My notes - It's ok. Floral but not sweet. I don't smell like an ashtray which was a tiny concern. Not the longest lasting scent which is a bummer.

Real notes - Jasmine, Tobacco, Tonka Bean.

I love this one and sadly, I also don't find that it lasts as long as other ELd'Os :'( I definitely get a hit of cigarette smoke on the opening but it's short lived. I makes me think of late nights out in hidden smoky clubs. Good memories!

@michelleshops jasmin et cigarette is my favorite jasmine fragrance of ever, i think. i think it's so pure, with a slight suggestion of something provocative. the 'cigarette' in the name scares people, obviously it's alluding to tobacco, which is a much loved fragrance note. i like the vibe and image the name gives, though, personally.

the jasmine is definitely feminine-leaning, but i think it could be totally used as a unisex fragrance too. the first time i wore this a friend of mine (for context, she is my mother's age) dropped everything and had to smell me. i watched her have this visceral experience and then she looked at me and told me i smell of her father (who had died a few years earlier). she went out and bought a bottle right then and there. i was so incredibly charmed by witnessing that that it instantly became a favorite.

@jemly - Thanks for your great description and wonderful story!  I love jasmine and I really like tobacco when it's done correctly.  I'm going to have to look into this scent!

I have to admit the name of this would have completely turned me away.  I'm super curious about this scent now. 

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Notes:
Rhubarb, Violet Leaves, Ambrette Signature, Cassis, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmin Sambac Absolut, Orange Flower Petals Firnat, Gardenia from Brazil, Ambregris, Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Patchouli.

http://www.sephora.com/tornade-blonde-P411917?skuId=1862572&icid2=products%20grid:p411917

I feel pretty! Oh so pretty! Ugh but seriously I love it and it is way out of my price range. I will savor every last drop of this sample vial lol. 

Spoiler

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Day 18 - Giorgio Armani Si

Have I worn this already? I think I might have worn Si Intense. My kind of florally fragrance, but grown up 🙂

Notes: Chypre, Blackcurrant Nectar, Airy Florals, Musky Blond Wood.

Day 18: Jo Malone Incense and Cedrat. A very nice peppery scent. Isn't lasting too long on my skin though, and dries down to a musky scent that smells more like a men's fragrance.

Verdict: Wouldn't purchase a full bottle for myself, perhaps for my hubby though.

Day 18: Tocca Florence 

This is a bit too floral for me, but as it fades Iike it more. The bergamot is more dominant than the gardenia, and I like that. unfortunately that did not last very long on me at all, I can't even smell it after a few hours.

Day 18: Moschino Fresh Couture. I don't know. For some reason, I just thought about Edible Arrangements when I first got a whiff of it. I suppose it's a bit fruity, but kind of generic? Although, a couple hours later, the fruit seems to have mostly dissipated, and I'm getting more floral notes.

Notes:
Bergamot, Mandarin, Ylang Ylang, Raspberry, White Peony, Osmanthus, Cedarwood, White Patchouli, Ambrox.

Day 18: Chloe Eau de Parfum

I love this one. It's a comforting powdery floral. When I wear it I feel like I'm laying in a big bed with fluffy sheets on a warm afternoon and the sun is coming in through the window. Definitely one of my top 5 faves.

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)

Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

There's just no way that I'm going to be able to give this one a fair analysis lol. I scammed this from my fiancé - it is his daily scent. 

It's earthy, mossy, hint of leather. It's an oud, but is incredibly well balanced. It's gorgeous, and for obvious (personal) reasons leaves me feeling sexy and comforted.

If your nose likes these scents but enjoys complexity and a journey, you may want to try MMM Replica Soul of the Forest. But, Oud Wood is really beautiful.

Curious how this layers on my skin with Tobacco Vanille (my daily scent), as @luvgloss13 mentioned down thread. Hoping it would bring out some of the spice?

Notes:

Oud, Chinese pepper, pink pepper, cardamom, birch tar, cistus, incense, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, cedar wood Atlas, Vanilla, & tonka bean.

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

@Libellules Try it! It is awesome the woody and headiness play so nice with the spicy and sweet of TV. It is my staple too! 🙂

I will! Thanks @luvgloss13

4,022 Replies
testing