Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Today I tried Rolling in Love by Kilian. It’s billed as a departure from the house but it smells very Kilian-like to me, one of the richer ones like Good Girl Gone Bad. The opening contrasts sweet floral musk and milk with harder nutty contours and a hint of earthiness. The latter lends the scent interest but blends and fades away quickly. The dry down is a lot of white musk and vanilla. Something praline-like. Not quite gourmand territory but I sort of feel like a walking nougat. It’s better from a distance than up close and on paper than on my skin.

Rolling is supposed to evoke musk on skin but it’s way, way too heavy for that. I think Malle's Dan Tes Bras is a much better approximation of warm skin. I’m not a huge fan of Rolling to be honest. Up close, the vanilla is too heavy and edges toward cheap. If you want a kind of sweet, milky Kilian, you're better off with KILIAN Paris Moonlight in Heaven 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray

rollinginlove.jpg

@pocketvenus Thank you so much! I didn't hear anything at all about this one and Kilian is my favourite house!

@ChristalMyou're very welcome! I doubt this will be carried by Sephora although maybe it will eventually? Holt Renfrew Toronto is ordering 50 units, available for pre-sale there. I'm not sure about the US and other countries although it looks like you can buy it normally in France.

@pocketvenus Thank you!

I will be at Holts in Montreal next week so I will see if they have it there to try 🙂

@ChristalMgood luck!! 🙂

One of my favorite houses Histoires de Parfums, HdP, recently released a new set based on the Opera. These samples are huge! But sadly for me they are dabbers, I don't like dabbers haha. Anyways I had to order these.

The first one I tried was 1831- 

floral aldehyde; fem.
Top notes: Aldehydes, Pink Pepper
Heart notes: Rose, Jasmin, Comorian Ylang essence, Labdanum
Base notes: Indonesian Heart Patchouli, Sumatran Resinoid Benzoin, Vanilla, Praline, Musk

Main notes: Aldehyde, Labdanum, Praline

This sensual fragrance with its celestial and mystical overtones accompanies the operatic priestess Norma through a forest where Rose and Jasmine fuse their feminine intonations with the magical incantations of Labdanum, Patchouli and Benzoin.

In the classic tradition of aldehydes, a lyrical and subtle flight that leaves a lavish trail rich in passion and fervor.

Based on the description I didn't think I'd like it. I actually like it a lot. It's dark and heavy-ish and mature at the same time. Thankfully I don't smell the roses. I'm used to sweet and light florals, this is a nice change.

@Samtianwow, that is a unique combination!

@pocketvenus For sure! I had to look up some of the notes haha.

I finished my sample of KILIAN - Princess Eau de Parfum today.  Finally a Kilian that is within reasonable price range.  The notes listed are green tea, ginger, and marshmallow.  The notes intrigued me... but the dominant note is marshmallow.  It opens with an astringent lemon scent, which is probably the green tea, but soon dissipates and you’re immediately slapped in the face with a sugary marshmallow.  The marshmallow is done well.  If you have a penchant for gourmands, you’ll probably enjoy it.  The ginger lingers subtly in the background, but adds a spicy hint.  It lacks in longevity lasting maybe 3-4 hours most on skin, but the dry down isn’t plastic and cheap smelling like most body sprays settle. I have gotten loads of compliments:  my boyfriend thinks it smelled like kettle corn.  I am not typically a gourmand lover, but this one is growing on me.  It’s playful, cozy, and could be seen as juvenile.  I’m considering the 7.5ml size for $30. 

@modernwarpaint Mmm I love marshmallows! It's one of my favorite scents.

@Samtian I've never owned a perfume with marshmallow before.  I purchased the 7.5ml, and I am definitely enjoying this one.  Initially thought this was very juvenile, but now that I smell the dry down, it's really quite warm, cozy, and sits so well on my skin.  My 72 year old mother even purchased herself one. haha It's linear, but very easy to wear, and not child plastic toy-like, which I find a lot of sweet perfumes can veer towards on my skin.  I am going to purchase the 100ml during the VIB sale in November.  I can see this wearing nicely in the colder weather. 

Do you have any suggestions for other marshmallow scents?

@modernwarpaint I sadly haven't tried many but one of my favorites was M by Mariah Carey. It's a hard note to find it seems.

@modernwarpaintI had a similar experience - store bought marshmallows! Fun, though rather young.

I finished two of my samples and it feels good to knock a few samples out of the bag. 

Dolce Gabbana  Light Blue Sun This fragrance is just as nice as Light Blue. It a bit more floral and musky. It last a long time, longer than Light Blue. 

Dior Homme This is the perfect unisex citrus fragrance, it’s fresh and vibrant.

@howconnie - I'll have to try these!  Light Blue is one of my favorites and I love citrus scents.

Hope you find them as refreshing as I do.

Today I tried GUCCI - Mémoire d'une Odeur Eau de Parfum. 

This chamomile scent opens with a mineral veil that hovers briefly like a whisper thin skein of netting before settling into a bittersweet floral with a touch of soft flax. It manages to suggest powder, milkiness and spiciness while remaining transparent. Dries down to a gentle musk.

Despite Gucci’s Italian roots and the perfume’s French name, Mémoire feels British to me, possessed of a lyrical personality that is expressive, yet unsentimental. An unexpected and understated entry from a designer house!

My only complaint is that at one point early on in the perfume’s development, the mineral accord reminded me of the smell of skin upon which chlorinated water has evapourated.

That sounds wonderful, got to try that one day.

Your description is wonderful, @pocketvenus !  I've been curious about this fragrance mostly due to the word "odeur" in its name.  I realize it's French and can mean odor, smell, scent, perfume, etc.  To title your perfume an "odor" is pretty brave!

@Titian06The creative director seems to embrace weirdness 🙂

Today I used up the last of my Vera Wang - Embrace sample. I'm not so good at describing scents (forgive me!), but I think it was the rose bud that really caught my attention. I didn't realize how long I must've had this in my collection and it's been so long since I've worn it that I forgot how I liked it. (It's hard for me to believe I've used it so many times that it's gone now. I'm starting to convince myself that most of it leaked out. 🤣) I tried looking for it here, but I couldn't find it. That'll teach me to start using my samples more often. 😓

1 Reply
testing