Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Love Alien. Hate Angel. Very curious about Aura... But, if it's similar to TF's Orchid Soleil in any way... Yeah, that's not gonna be good. 

Thanks for the review, @pocketvenus ! Still patiently ( not even close! ) waiting for my sample. But, not holding my breath. 

@lyravega 

You're welcome! Aura's very different because of its medicinal note but the denseness is similar. They are also both pretty strong!

I know what you mean, @pocketvenus

I don't mind strong ( I just need to be careful how much I apply ( Alien! ) ). But, that medicinal note is worrying me... And, vanilla. Hmm. Vanilla can turn either way. I am not a fan most of the time, and in general. But in some combos it's nice. 

I still think I am not gonna like Aura, but I still wanna try it. 

@pocketvenus Thank you for posting! I am so curious about Aura. I love vanilla, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I loved Angel at first sniff, but had a harder time warming up to Alien - and now love both. Fingers crossed!

@lachaton 

You may have luck with it! Angel, Alien and Aura all feel like "sisters" to me 🙂

@pocketvenusI've wanted to try this one...but I don't care for vanilla...and I hate medicinal scents too.

@Samtian 

Don't skin test!! I can still smell it on my wrist, despite multiple attempts to wash it off and it's been over 7 hours 😮

Today I wore Cartier Bleu Vetiver.  This is probably my favorite perfume.  Basically it smells like mint and dirt.  I know that sounds odd, but neither note is overwhelming.  It's a nice soft mix.  It's the first full size perfume I purchased.

@Titian06 I need to try that. It sounds oddly comforting. 

Today I wore Commodity Mimosa. I love this one! I am a big fan of citrus. The description says it "evokes the best part of a luxurious Sunday brunch," and is "inspired by a warm Sunday morning." I can picture exactly what they mean, and that's the feeling I needed today. Other notes are jasmine and mimosa flowers, but I just detect the citrus. It's similar to Atelier Orange Sanguine, but is a bit lighter. 

I'm going to join back in a little. But, I tried 50+ fragrances last year, and I have no idea exactly which fragrance vials I've tried and which I haven't, but I love Samtian's idea  of using up perfume vials rather than just trying them.

So, today, I reached for the first vial I could find that happened to arrive in my most recent Sephora order. Derek Lam 10 Crosby's 2am Kiss. The notes are salted caramel and crystallized amber. I won't be finishing this vial. I'm always willing to give amber a second (or 100th) chance because it's such a ubiquitous note that surely I won't hate absolutely everything featuring amber, but I think I need to just accept our differences and move on. Anyway, the perfume is warm and spicy, but I can't help thinking that I smell like an unshowered hippie backpacking across the Silk Road.

Least you tried 

@txcatxI don't think there is any Derek Lam fragrance I actually really like.

@Samtian @txcatx Same.

Today I wore Viva La Juicy Glace. I like the Juicy fragrances, they are just sweet enough to feel fun fun not so sweet I feel like a teenager. However, I felt this one wasn't terribly different on me than I Love Juicy Couture. The notes are slightly different but I think similar enough that if you have one you don't need the other. Both have mandarin and jasmine, with a musk in the base. I have a sample, and I have I Love Juicy Couture so I don't really need to use up the sample, and I can just wear I Love Juicy Couture.  

Funnily enough, I've avoided the citrusy perfumes that Atelier Cologne is most famous for so I thought I'd remedy that by trying. Orange Sanguine... It's a photorealistic orange fragrance that opens like the freshly peeled fruit with the suggestion of juice, aromatic rind and bitter pith. I was shocked at how long the fragrance is able to maintain this realism and its complexity although its power fades within the half hour. The fragrance softens as floral and woods blend gently into the citrus. Longevity is a real issue. It’s a faint skin scent before the hour is up and I can barely smell it by the two hour mark. Extremely short lived on me, even for this house!

My personal challenge is to get through and use up all my sample vials. I am currently on Derek Lam Crosby Something Wild. I do not like this. The vanilla is too strong for me. I can however say this is by far the longest lasting perfume I've ever used. It stays on a very long time...very very long time.

https://www.sephora.com/product/something-wild-P405464?skuId=1769025&icid2=dereklam_lp_fromthebrand_...

Oh, this is a brilliant idea, @Samtian! I may need to go dig out my box of fragrance samples and join you.

@Samtian 

Isn't it always the way that the ones you can't stand seem to be the most tenacious!!!

Today I wore Pinrose Garden Gangster.  This is one of my favorites overall and my favorite Pinrose.  I wanted to wear something light and "happy."  I'm going through a significant transition right now...I need all the light and happy I can get!  😄

Blessings on your journey be good to yourself 

testing