Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

diptyque philosykos

Top notes are fig leaf and fig; middle notes are coconut and green notes; base notes are cedar, woody notes and fig tree.

I liked this one. The coconut was a bit strong for my tastes though.

Dita Von Teese 

The scent opens with peonies, bergamot, and slightly spicy Bourbon pepper;
the heart is Bulgarian rose, Tahitian Tiaré petals, and fresh jasmine;
the base patchouli, musk, and smoky Gaiac wood and sandalwood.

This is ok. Not great, but not bad. 

Ah, I've been so curious about this one 😉

Thanks for posting.

Also, if you like fig, I'd suggest trying L'Artisan Parfumeur's Premier Figuier Extreme.

Ooh I love fig, I'll look into it, thank you!

I've lost count. I think this is perfume no. 42? 43? Maison Margiela Replica By the Fireplace. As promised, I smell like burnt marshmallows roasting in a bonfire on a chilly autumn night. This is reminding me of this utterly bizarre experience years ago when I went to a local band's album release party where I sat by a bonfire by the river drinking Lone Star beer with a bunch of people inexplicably dressed like gnomes. 

I'd copy and paste the notes, but Sephora's website isn't exactly working too well...

@txcatx - Now I really want to try Fireplace!  Smelling like burnt marshmallows would definitely be a unique scent  😄

Image result for gnomes

What an interesting experience. 

"I smell like burnt marshmallows roasting in a bonfire on a chilly autumn night." Haha, yep! That's exactly it! You nailed it, @txcatx ! 😄

Etat Libre d'Orange's Remarkable People vs. Byredo's Bal d'Afrique

Two remarkably similar takes on Josephine Baker. They don't share many notes - only citrus and jasmine - but they both have a bright, citrusy opening, followed by a tropical sweetness paired with wood. BA is more juicy while RP is more powdery/fizzy. I actually think BA is a fair consideration for a dupe given its much lower cost.

Oh, these sound wonderful. Must get to the Byredo counter soon...

Tried Juliette Has a Gun's Into the Void on paper. This was far too tonka heavy for my taste. There aren’t any white florals listed in the notes, but the scent gave me that impression. It lists “black orchid” in the notes, which isn’t a real flower; perhaps that was the floral I was detecting? It does not smell like TF’s Black Orchid for those wondering. The bottle looks a lot like a cheaper version of By Kilian's but I see it’s just coincidence as the other frags in the luxury line are different colours.

Dolce & Gabbana Dolce today. I really love this one. I just have a purse spray right now, but once I use it up I'm going full size for sure. 

Giorgio Armani- Sun di Gioia 

Notes:
Bergamot, Freesia, Marine Accord, Sambac Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Frangipani, Coconut Milk, Ambrox, Iris.

I received sample of this instead of one of the lipstick samplers. It smells pleasant. I'm still on the fence about it. 

@Samtian @txcatx - I've sampled this one several times in store.  I was fortunate the last time to put it on at lunch and wear it the rest of the day (rather than try it and 10,000 other scents!).

Like you @Samtian, It's nice, but I'm undecided.  I was concerned about the coconut milk, but could not smell anything coconut at all.  I was also very concerned about the ambrox because I find that absolutely nauseating!  I couldn't even smell that!

I'll probably end up getting a sample made.

The notes had me until the coconut milk. I'm curious about this one, though!

I have a Sephora order coming in tomorrow. I'm actually hoping to get a new perfume or two instead of some of the lipstick samples! 

@txcatx I cant' really smell the coconut milk. I'm anti-coconut. 

Oh, cool. I'll have to check this one out.

Sadly, Sephora substituted the lipstick samples with foundation samples once again. 

Bvlgari-Omnia Paraiba

Notes:
Bigarade Orange, Passion Fruit, Passion Flower, Brazilian Gardenia, Cocoa Beans, Vetiver Essence.

I think someone has posted this one before. I enjoy this one. 

My order I placed from the perfumed court has shipped. I will finally be able to smell some Diptyque!!

@Samtian - This one sounds nice!  An interesting mix of scents.

Is this the blue one? If it is, I may have posted about it. I liked it, but it wasn't very long lasting on me. The notes are really nice though. 

Yep! That's the one. 

1 Reply
testing