Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I will try Red Roses next time I am in the store!  I haven't tried that one.  Thank you!  🙂

Oooooh, so pretty!

thanks GPL 🙂

that sounds like a great combo!

thank you, it is!! 🙂 If you ever near a department store that's sells this you should smell it. I was randomly near the counter and I just started picking them up to smell and I fell in love! Lol. I liked so many it was hard to choose. 🙂 

Right! I've never purchased any Jo Malone because it's way too hard to choose, and I think I could really do some damage 🙂

Day 6: Diptyque Tam Dao, a beautiful woody scent, sandalwood and cedar creating a warm cocoon for a cool day.

that sounds so lovely!! diptyque is ❤️

I love this! I had a sample and feel in love. I want to buy it! You just reminded me 😄 

Day 5: two sheer roses 🙂

#1 Marni Marni EDP: the opening is spicy, peppery. The rose isn't evident as first but slowly blooms up. The sheer spiciness dominates for a while, then the drydown is softer, woodsier. It is pretty and modern. I suspect I will like it more in warmer weather.

Top: Black pepper, Pink peppercorn, Ginger, Bergamot
Heart: Cardamom, Cinnamon, Rose
Base: Cedarwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Incense

#2 Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose: it opens with a bright citrus burst, that quickly makes way to a delicate weaving of sheer incense and rose. The rose isn't opulent, nor is it green. It is slightly sour, but in a good way. The drydown is again woodsier, but a little more somber than the Marni. The incense persists til the end. I really like this one.

Top: Davana, Black and Pink Pepper, Coriander Grains
Middle: Turkish Rose, Incense, Osmanthus
Base: Myrrh, Opoponax, Papyrus, Wenghe

Spoiler
Day 1: Neela Vermeire Trayee
Day 2: Neela Vermeire Bombay Bling
           Neela Vermeire Pichola
Day 3: Neela Vermeire Mohur
Day 4: Neela Vermeire Ashoka
Day 5: Marni Marni
           Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose

Your descriptions are so evocative! @TriesToBoClassy

Atelier Sud Magnolia.  It is a big juicy fragrance. 

This is where most of the Atelier collection loses me.  They just need to add 'citrus' and lots of it!  To me this makes them smell more like men's fragrances.  (not the good kind, either!)  Reminds me of that unisex fragrance CK One (???) or something Drugstore. 

Other than that, Atelier has beautiful photography and nice packaging.

Notes:  Bitter Sevillian Orange, Pomelo from Florida, Blackcurrant, Magnolia from Louisiana, Bulgarian Rose Absolue, Indian Saffron Flower, Atlas Cedarwood from Morocco, Sandalwood, Musk.

Style: Sophisticated. Refined. Romantic.PERFUME-2.jpg

Spoiler
1. Atelier Gold Leather
2. Atelier Rose Anonyme
3. Garlic!
4. Balenciaga Florabotanica
5. Atelier Sud Magnolia

I know what you mean about the citrus in many AC scents! One reaches for a bottle of vetiver or rose and is greeted with citrus instead. To be fair, from the name it would seem the house specializes in cologne, which traditionally features citrus notes.

One of the Sephora SAs told me today that AC uses a the most natural ingredients in their perfumes of any of the lines they carry and to my knowledge, natural citrus materials tend to be cheaper. So maybe that's another reason why.

Day 5: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Silent St

We were fragrance twins today.

after i started accumulating a zillion perfume samples, i was inspired to find a prettier way to store them! here's my stash that i'm pulling from for this challenge 🙂

IMG_3765.JPG

@unfungirl I store my samples the same way!  Little glass cups that size are just the perfect size for perfume samples.

@ghrelin  yay! we are storage twins!! having them organized and visible is definitely encouraging me to use all these little dudes more!

@unfungirl  Definitely!  I can barely keep track of my chapsticks, without a storage system like this I'd totally lose every single perfume sample sent to me and find them 5 years later.  

Shame this doesn't work as well for chapstick! 😉

haha i have SO many lip balms @ghrelin!

Great idea, @unfungirl!

I keep mine in a basket, but the opening is length-wise so the samples/rollerballs lay down.  It can be rather challenging since all the samples seem to end up at the bottom underneath the rollerballs!

1 Reply
testing