Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 4: Tom Ford Neroli Portofino.

Notes:
Tunisian Neroli, Italian Bergamot, Sicilian Lemon, Winter Yellow Mandarin, Orange Flower, Lavender.
Style:
Vibrant. Sparkling. Transportive.

Heck no! No. Nope nope nope! The thing stinks! And, now I can't get it off of me. Glad it was just a sample... But, that bottle on the other hand... Gorgeous!

Hi, @Magrathea!  Could you tell us what you really think???  😄

upload_7078547004870657830.gif

😉

Anonymous Insider

Sorry I'm so late on this..I love the idea..I actually write down what I wear everyday because I don't like to smell the same way everyday..a lil OCD'ish but this way I make sure I wear everything I have.

1/1-Gucci Bamboo, 1/2- VS Very Sexy, 1/3- Black Opium and today 1/4- Juicy Couture.  

I love over seeing all the different varieties and descriptions!

Day 4: CK Eternity Now. It had a very peachy sweetness immediately upon application, then in a few minutes the lychee fruit became more apparent.  It started to warm up and become less sharply sweet if that makes sense. I really like it, but it faded quite quickly. I would definitely wear this again, but it's quite summery. I think it would be great layered with a spicy vanilla scent, so I think I'll try that another day. 

Having sampled 5 of the 6 Neela Vermeire perfumes, I can say that it's a superb line. All the perfumes are complex and well composed. They all posses a plush and radiant quality that I haven't found elsewhere. I would love to own all of them, but that's not very realistic 🙂 I will probably try to get Mohur at least, since I am a rose fiend and this is easily among my top 3 roses along with Guerlain Nahema and Frederic Malle Une Rose. 

Day 4: Neela Vermeire Ashoka: creamy opening with orris and fig that's almost violet-like, with a bit of incense. The incense then gets stronger, but it's still plush and creamy. There's also a bit of spice. The drydown is a bit disappointing for me; it becomes a strong, suede-y musk.

Spoiler

TOP NOTES

LOTUS, ROSE, WATER HYACINTH, FIG LEAF, PARSLEY LEAF

HEART NOTES

OSMANTHUS ABSOLUTE, CASSIE

ABSOLUTE (ACACIA FARNESIANA),

IRIS, INCENSE ESSENCE, JASMINE SAMBAC, FIG MILK, GERANIUM,

YLANG-YLANG

BASE NOTES

FIR BALSAM ABSOLUTE, MYRRH,

CEDARWOOD, SANDALWOOD,

VANILLA ACCORD, AMBRE GRIS, BIRCH, HAITIAN VETIVER, LEATHER,

STYRAX, HELIOTROPE

Day 3: Neela Vermeire Mohur: an opulent rose unlike anything. There's a bit of spice, but it's not your typical spicy boozy rose. There's creamy sandalwood, orris, and some white flowers that make the whole composition radiant. The drydown is mostly creamy vanilla/tonka on me.

Spoiler

PERFUME COMPOSITION

TOP NOTES

CARDAMOM ABSOLUTE, CORIANDER SEED OIL, AMBRETTE SEED, CARROT, BLACK PEPPER,
ELEMI OIL

HEART NOTES

TURKISH ROSE OIL, MORROCAN ROSE ABSOLUTE, ROSE ACCORDS 11 PERCENT, JASMINE ACCORD, ORRIS, AUBEPIN FLOWER, ALMOND MILK NOTES, VIOLET FLOWER AND ORRIS EFFECTS,
LEATHER VITESSENCE

BASE NOTES

SANDALWOOD, AMBRE, WHITE

WOODS, PATCHOULI, OUDH PALAO

OIL FROM LAOS, BENJOIN SIAM,

VANILLA, TONKA BEAN

Spoiler
Day 1: Neela Vermeire Trayee
Day 2: Neela Vermeire Bombay Bling
           Neela Vermeire Pichola
Day 3: Neela Vermeire Mohur
Day 4: Neela Vermeire Ashoka

@TriesToBoClassy her fragrances sounds amazing! i've never heard of this line before. where did you find it at?

Hi @unfungirl! I read about them on boisdejasmin(.com) and nstperfume(.com). They kept coming up again and again as favorites in nst's comment sections, so I ordered samples from Luckyscent(.com) 😄

awesome, thanks @TriesToBoClassy!! i might need to do the same 🙂 i'm a sucker for niche perfume houses.

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

I smell like a cherry chapstick lol. It's ok, not my favorite upon initial application but as it's been blending in with my skin chemistry it's turning nicer and nicer.

http://www.sephora.com/replica-lipstick-on-P404756?skuId=1788041&icid2=products%20grid:p404756

I can't see myself spending this much on a full size of a perfume that I don't absolutely love though. 

Day 4: 

burberry:  My burberry 

Notes:
Lemon Flower, Sweet Peas, Peony, Peach Flower, Freesia, Damask Rose, Musk.

Anonymous Insider

Day 4 Nirvana Rose

Day 4:  Derek Lam Silent St. 

Notes are white musks.  I love the description "Crosby Street at First Snow. A moment of total peace and purity in the middle of the chaos of New York City. The essence of pure white musks."

Undecided on whether it's a keeper or not.  It dries down nicely, but there is just something in it that wants to know if there are any more notes to it.  I don't get all musk.

Days 1-3 - Josie Maran Limoncello body butter - straight up lemon.

Day 4: Dolce and Gabbana Dolce. 

One of my favorite florals. It's light and fresh, it reminds me of a warm, sunny day in a meadow, frolicking around without a care in the world. 

Checking in late, and with my minimal collection....

Day 4: Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine x Vanille Incensee

Day 1-3: Hermes Terre d'Hermes

Day 4: Ormande Jayne Osmanthus

"like a deliciously crisp spring day, this uplifting creation with japanese osmanthus absolute is a beautifully composed bouquet of flowers, embelished with golden citrus notes. Layered on a bed of Egyptian sweet herbs, it is intense, fresh and yet uncomplicated." 

Very slightly sweet, dry white floral. Herbal notes are very subtle and a bit more unexpected than wood or musk usually used in these types of scents. Nothing crisp or citrusy really but both bright and grounded. I will have to try this again in warmer weather. If nothing else I love their copywriter. 

Day 4: Etat Libre d' Orange Like This - I was uncertain how I felt about this when I first put it on because I couldn't quite place the scent.  Now that it's settled in to my skin I LOVE it.  I don't really get the ginger, but it otherwise fits the description, which I love: "Inspired by the words of the great Sufi poet Rumi, Like This is about simplicity and human-scaled miracles...evokes feelings of home, comfort, and tenderness with soft, spicy notes of ginger, the earthy wholeness of pumpkin, and embracing green notes of vetiver."  I've been feeling a bit down lately with health stuff with my dad and work frustrations so this is perfect.

Rest of my lineup thus far:

Spoiler

Day 3: Tocca Isabel 

Day 2: Elizabeth and James Nirvana White

Day 1: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon 

Thanks ladies.  I appreciate it.  I keep telling myself that this two will pass.

sorry you're feeling down @kelloua 😞

i remember having a sample of this scent and really liking it!

Sorry to hear about your father and work 😞 Perfume can definitely be a comfort during difficult times... Like This is so cozy, it's like a fuzzy sweater or a warm hug.

Day Four: Chanel's Bois des Iles EDP

BDI is not as fizzy with aldehydes as the other Chanels I've tried but its quiet opening carries the house signature. The crisp aldehydic florals emerge quickly, grounded by the earthy depth of woods and fleshed out with the sweet warmth of fruit - but it's never heavy or loud. Sophisticated, balanced, beautiful. It's not my cup of tea but I'd recommend trying it, especially for those who like sandalwood.

testing