Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 4: Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia. I was so glad to randomly pull this one out of my bag of perfume vials. I'm actually almost through with my second full size bottle of this one, but I also have a bunch of vials because the Jo Malone salespeople are very generous with samples. Anyway, I don't think my olfactory preferences have advanced much since the days of wearing Bath & Body Works Pearberry in junior high school, and I still love fruity fragrances. This Jo Malone is just a more sophisticated fruity! 

Spoiler
31 Days of Perfume
1. Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis
2. Maison Margiela Replica, Lipstick On
3. Miu Miu

Alright, I wasn't going to initially, but I'm going to join!

I'll try to remember to use vials in my box instead. This is indeed a great idea, at least it'll give me a reason to throw out some vials if they're not for me!

Day 4: Sweet Petals by Somethin' Special - this is an imitation of LUSH's Rose Jam fragrance, which was LE, hard to find, and long gone. I got it in fall of 2015 and it's become a winter favourite!

ooooo @k617 does it really smell like rose jam?

@unfungirl I've never smelled the Rose Jam perfume (so not sure if it differs from the bath products slightly) but I'm currently using the shower gel and Ro's Argan body condition and yes this is super duper close to the real deal! I'd say the Somethin' Special copycat has a bit more warmth to it, but that's why I prefer it for winter. The lasting power isn't amazing now that I've had the bottle for over a year, but hey, for $10-$20, can't really complain.

Beats paying $100+ for a bottle of the real LUSH Rose Jam on ebay!

1. @k617 I've never smelled the rose jam perfume either, but I'm obsessed with the shower gel! If it smells anything like that I'm all about it, thanks!! 🙂

Day 4- Atelier Mandarine Glaciale.
I tried other Atelier scents that I didn't like but this is really nice,I added the small size to my loves.
http://www.sephora.com/mandarine-glaciale-P394147?skuId=1684893

@Seymore3 I have this in my pile of vials.  Excited to check it out.

Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre. Opening, smells straight up like a fir candle (good quality candle, though). I tested this one out before showering, and in the hot shower, I could still smell it and it actually smelled ~smokey~! Like a true tree. Reapplying post, shower, I still get the smokey, but not as strong. Settles in nicely, and I'm pretty sure I smell like an actual tree. LOVE

Wish I'd tried this in December!

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford 

I'll have to try this. It sounds gorgeous. 

Day 4 - Laura Mercier Creme Brulee - I like the initial hit of sweetness when I put it on but I don't really love it after that. Good thing it's just a sample :).

@JenniferOhJenny I don't have any of LM's fragrances but I do have her scented body lotions and while I love her makeup, I found myself pretty disappointed in the scents.

This is the first one I've tried...don't know that I'd try another. I mean, with a name like Creme Brulee I figured it would be sweet but it was pretty one-note when it dried. 

Day 3- Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf. I love it. Very similar to Miss Dior Cherie.

Verdict: Would buy a full size

Day 4: La Vie est Belle by Lancome. Seems to have great staying power on me and ilove the scent. Along the same vein as Flowerbomb and Miss Dior Cherie.

Verdict: Would buy full size most definitely

Mmmm, love those. We probably have very similar fragrance preferences! 

Day 4: Tom Ford Oud Wood, glad the sephora sample I requested showed up because this smells wonderful. 

Day 4: Miu Miu!  I typically do not like floral fragrances, but I like this one so far. The jasmine notes in it are really nice,  and the woody element balances it out well. 

Day 3: MMM Lazy Sunday Morning

I like it!

Spoiler
Day 2: MMM By the Fire
Day 1: Roses de Chloe

Day 3: Oscar Velvet

Ehh. I couldn't find much information on this perfume, I think I was sent a sample via Macy's, perhaps? It's okay. Goes on kinda harsh but levels out. I didn't think it had much staying power though. And I could smell the patchouli which is not something I gravitate toward in perfume.

Great idea! Just what I need to finally try and go through all my hoarded samples!

Today it was Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee.

Notes:
Lime, Cedrat, Coriander, Jasmine, Vetiver, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Oak Wood, Amber.
Style:
Magical. Evocative. Electric.

I think I really like. It is sweet and masculine at the same time ( unusual combo ), and it actually works. For me, at least. Lasting power is pretty good, too. I see myself being seriously tempted by this one.

This is just the challenge I need to actually use those perfume samples I have sitting in a big box in my closet.

Day 3 - Versace Bright Crystal Absolu : This is just an OK perfume. I have no interest in it, smells like many other floral perfumes to me. 

Day 3: Chloe Love Story - a very feminine and light fresh scent

3 Replies
testing