Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 3: Vera Wang Embrace Marigold and Gardenia EDT. I love gardenia, so I took a chance buying this without being able to test it first. It smells amazing, and lasted on my skin for almost 8 hours. I will be reaching for this one often! 🙂

Day 3: gucci Guilty

Notes:
Geranium, Pink Pepper, Lilac, Peach, Amber, Patchouli.

Day 3 -Stella -Stella McCartney.

I didn't expect to like this but it's quite pleasant.

The first time I ever tried it was when I got two 3.4oz bottles with that Stella purse for 10000 points.  I actually really like it which is a good thing cause I have a lifetime supply!  

Day 3:  Midnight Flur by Nest.  This one has such a lovely floral sweet-vanilla when first applied.  The floral dissipates within the first 30 or so minutes leaving the vanilla to mingle with pachouli and amber before it too fades away after a few hours, leaving a nice subtle pachouli and amber that lingers until the fragrance fades altogether.  

I can be very picky about sweeter fragrances because a lot of them tend to give me a headache, but this one doesn't. 

I like Nest's indigo sent I should check out midnight Flur 

@WhereYouStand I haven't tried Indigo yet.  I really need to.  I hear it's a great scent.  🙂  

I missed posting yesterday.  

Day 2: Prada Candy. I used to like this but I wasn't enjoying it yesterday.  

Day 3: Derek 10 Crosby something wild. - no no no!!!!  I smell like a musky man who's been rolling in baby powder.  

Edit- it's washed off and I'm wondering if I should try another or go with something safe.

haha i love that description. not a good mental image though 😛

Lol! I love your reaction! I haven't tried that one from

my sample set, but I think I'll skip it now. 😬

Ugh, I'm not a fan of any of those Derek Lam fragrances. Hopefully it won't sour you for the rest of today :x.

After my episode this morning, I went for something I know I like but don't wear often!

After you posted about your experience with DL when you bought the kit last year.......I never gave them a chance!

Not even that promo sampler.

We sooooooooo can influence each other around here!  Too funny!

@wheeeee I'm sure there's a market for the DL fragrances...my nose just finds it surprising that they think it's the DL customer / the DL price point :x.

Completely true! Rose is something my nose has only started to appreciate in the last year or so - bergamot tends to ruin things for me, but I'm intrigued after reading your description of L'Atelier's Rose Anonyme! 😄

I'm so easily influenced here, @wheeeee. I'm going to order that Atelier sampler set that you recommended!

Omg!  I hope you like it!  Or, else I will feel bad.  @txcatx

I'm sure I'll love it, @wheeeee! I already have and love a travel set of their citrus colognes, and I'd love to try out the rest of their colognes. The rose one you described yesterday sounds incredible, so I'm looking forward to that one. If all else fails, I can always get a full size of Pomelo!

I don't care for any of the Derek Lam fragrances either. It always bothers me a little bit when there is an entire collection I don't like, because if there is ever a diamond in the rough I may never discover it. 

Agree @alexasteph I think there was one that I thought was OK, but it was just a poor man's version of TF Noir Pour Femme :P.

I'm not soured- I was just momentarily horrified:)  With a name like Something Wild I expected something...earthy.  It washed off easily which helped:)

Into the trash can cause it just doesn't feel right passing it on.  I wouldn't want to be around anyone smelling like that.  

There are 9 more scents in the line to try that I'm excluding from this challenge cause I don't want to be living in fear of drawing them from my vial pouch.  

I ended up going for Tom Ford Café Rose.  Nice and safe.  

@heartsmyface I tried so hard to submit an honest review of that whole set, and Sephora has kaiboshed that so - apologies :P.

Cafe Rose is a LOVELY choice! I only wish the cafe aspect was a bit stronger 😄

@Libellules Oh I wish I had of seen it!  It sounds like it would've been a fun read! 😄 I'll take your implied word on it and pass on them.

And thank you, it was my first Tom Ford perfume.  I have a weakness for roses. 

2 Replies
testing