Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Gender-Neutral Fragrance Glossary

Image of Gucci Memoire d'une Odeur Eau de Parfum bottle against a black background.JPG

It’s interesting to us that certain scents and fragrance notes can make some think they are formulated for males, females, or any gender expression. Often, we hear that perfume is feminine and cologne is masculine. While we believe you should wear whichever scent embodies YOU, we see the appeal of “genderless” or “gender-neutral” fragrance. Whether you like to flaunt masculinity, femininity, or are more fluid with your gender expression, gender-neutral fragrances are designed to be universally flattering. These scents are designed to transcend gender and wear beautifully while complementing your own personal self-expression. Check out some of our favorite all-inclusive fragrances here:

AtelierCologne_VanilleInsensee.PNG

ATELIER COLOGNE - Vanille Insensée Cologne Absolue Pure Perfume

This warm and spicy scent is crafted from 91% renewable, natural-origin ingredients. It is an incredibly inviting combination of warm and sweet notes!

Key Notes: Amber, Jasmine, Vanilla

CleanReserve_WarmCotton.PNG

CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Warm Cotton 3.4 oz/ 101 mL

Warm cotton is made with eco-conscious and sustainably sourced benzoin, a sweet resin originating from Southeast Asia. Its comforting scent of fresh sheets is deeply relaxing.

Key Notes: Bergamot, Benzion, Musk

GUCCI_Memoire.PNG

GUCCI - Mémoire d'une Odeur Eau de Parfum

This earthy and woody perfume combines jasmine petals and precious musk for a perfect balance of tenderness and depth; hints of warm sandalwood and airy cedarwood will draw you in.

Key Notes: Roman Chamomile, Coral Jasmine, Vanilla

JoMaloneLondon_WoodSageSeaSalt.PNG

JO MALONE LONDON - Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne

Spritz on the Wood Sage & Sea salt cologne for a combination of mineral and earth scents. This fragrance will leave you feeling as lively as waves in the ocean.

Key Notes: Ambrette Seeds, Sea Salt, Sage

MaisonLouisMarie_No04BoisdeBalincourt.PNG

Maison Louis Marie No.04 Bois de Balincourt Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

This captivating warm and earthy fragrance features both delicate and spicy notes for an overall luxurious scent.

Key Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber Wood

MaisonMargiela_REPLICAByTheFireplace.PNG

Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' By the Fireplace 3.4 oz/ 100 mL

Replica By the Fireplace evokes nostalgia with its warm notes which simulate the sensation of cozying up near a fireplace.

Key Notes: Clove Oil, Chestnut Accord, Vanilla Accord

Have you tried any “genderless” fragrances? If so, let us know your favorites!

Re: The Gender-Neutral Fragrance Glossary

Anything by Tokyo milk's darker line seems to hit on the gender fluid line. Same with Demeter. You can mix scents like Dirt ( really smells like wet soil after rain) and Grass along with another scent like Tobacco. You can mix and match the amounts of each to get your perfect scent. 

Nest has a few gender fluid scents.

#Perfume, #cologne, #eau de parfum, #eau de toilet

RE: The Gender-Neutral Fragrance Glossary

I recently purchased ‘Cannabis Santal’ and I think it’s a great scent for all genders. Sometimes I feel like something more feminine and light, but other days my mood dictates something little darker...Cannabis Santal fits that niche for me!

I love reading these recommendations!

Some scents I like that are marketed as genderless

• a lot of the CdGs. The pebble bottle ones are really solid but if I had to pick, it would be the incense series.
  • Tauer, L'Air du Desert Marocain
  • Malle, Angeliques Sous La Pluie
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur, Timbuktu, Dzongkha, Dzing!
  • Zoologist, Bat
  • I feel like a lot of ouds can go either way

@pocketvenus Oh yes! You just reminded me of CdGs Avignon. HG status for me. But you must like smelling like a Catholic church at high mass 😂 It’s just pure frankincense and myrrh incense and I love it! 

I keep meaning to buy some Zoologist samples. Really anxious to try that line. 

I love this thread! I wear a lot of men’s fragrance because I’m not big into florals or fruity/sweet scents (coconut being the exception).

Replica’s By The Fireplace is a fave.  I also just got Whispers in the Library today and I’m liking it a lot. It’s a skin scent on me, wears very close with little projection. It’s definitely unisex. I can actually smell a bit of wax which is really nice. Invictus is also a fave. The woods and subtle patchouli are right up my alley. And if you can find Dirty English at a discount store, grab it. Sephora carried it back in the day and it’s an all time love of mine. 

Not a Perfume by Juliette Has A Gun is unisex. The sole ingredient, Ambroxan, is used it tons of fragrances, both masculine and feminine. Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka is also unisex. I just wish that brand’s fragrances lasted more than five minutes on my skin. I can never justify a bottle. 

Gucci Memoire is in my list to try. Reviews have shown it to be quite polarizing so I’m interested to smell it myself. Can’t wait to see more recs in this thread. 

@pixiedust2 great suggestions!  I agree with the Replica examples, JHAG, and Jo Malone. 👍🏽

I love this thread.  I prefer more masculine scents.  I have to mention Kiehl's Musk which Sephora sadly doesn't carry (if they decide to I will be first in line!).  It's a wonderfully creamy musk that makes you want to nuzzle the neck of whoever is wearing it.

Musk Eau de Toilette Spray 

RE: The Gender-Neutral Fragrance Glossary

I remember when I was younger the big thing was CK1 and how it was a unsex Fragrance and the model looked Neither male or female in there appearance but all looked the same. my sister loved it 💜 so brings back memories of a time where this trend seem to start and I was young and just learning to experience what fragrances could Express about someone.

that is one of my favorite fragrances! I've never really...

that is one of my favorite fragrances! I've never really liked wearing perfume because it was all so sweet and strong, I would end up getting a huge headache and I would even feel nauseated from wearing perfumes. I started working at a department store that sold this so I bought a small bottle to try and I fell in love!! I always recommend to customers that tell me they dont want anything sweet or obnoxious, just simple and clean.

@GeorginaBT I tried the GUCCI - Mémoire d'une Odeur Eau de Parfum

today in store.  The bottle was really pretty, although it did remind me a bit of a bottle of gin!  I wasn't a fan of the scent, though.  To me, it smelled like a men's deodorant.  It was the sort of fragrance that I just couldn't see working for either gender.  But that's just my take and my nose.  I was expecting more of a green/water scent.  It really reminded me of Gucci Guilty Black Pour Homme 3 oz/ 90 mL

Maybe Gucci will come out with another gender-neutral fragrance that I will like more, as I do enjoy their fragrances.  My favorite is GUCCI - Envy Me

and I also like Gucci Envy, Gucci Bloom Eau de Parfum For Her 1.6 oz/ 50 mL

GUCCI - Bloom Acqua di Fiori Eau de Toilette For Her

I consider these two Jo Malone fragrances gender neutral, although I don't know if they're marketed that way:

JO MALONE LONDON - Oud & Bergamot Cologne Intense

JO MALONE LONDON - Jasmine Sambac & Marigold

I own #1 and my son owns #2. 

I love Jo Malone  Oud and Bergamot cologne  intense , anytime I smell this fragrance it makes me happy!  I also think this would be great on men as well. 

My favorite “unisex/genderless” fragrances are smoky and leathery, with a bit of something lurking in the fog to add some interest. These include: 

Papillon Artisan Perfumes, Anubis - My favorite specimen of these types of fragrances. On me, the leather, smoke, frankincense, and dirty jasmine are very pronounced, with pink lotus popping up once in a while over a sandalwood base. This is one of the very few fragrances that have an intoxicating effect on me. It’s one of my all time favorite perfumes and the most interesting (to me) of the 3 I’m listing. 

Le Labo, Patchouli 24 - Barely smells like patchouli. 😄 Folks either love or hate this one, but it’s the smoky fire pit fragrance of my dreams. Unlike Anubis, there’s no incense or floral note here. On me, it’s mostly smoke and grilled meaty leather, with a vanilla undercurrent and a hint of patchouli. It’s strangely addictive. I love to wear this alone, but I also like to pair it with another fragrance sometimes. (My favorite pairing is with Killian Black Phantom.) 

Commodity, Leather - I know this one’s marketed as a men’s fragrance but I’ll include it anyway because it’s sweet smelling enough to also fit the stereotypical “women’s perfume” category. On me, the prominent notes are incense, smoke, sweet labdanum, and leather, over a vetiver base. It’s not as deep, mysterious, and powerful as Anubis, or as unapologetically smoky as Patchouli 24. It’s definitely the sweeter smelling of these 3 fragrances. 

@WinglessOne I see you like smoky leathers! If you haven't tried Hiram Green's Hyde you might be into it. Although maybe it's too similar to what you already have.

@pocketvenus  Thanks for the recommendation! I still haven’t haven’t tried any Hiram Green fragrances, so this will be a good first sample to get. 

@WinglessOneit has a demanding, smoky opening with a campfire vibe and a fantastic hit of birch tar that recalls tea and camphor 🔥 🔥 🔥 

One of the first fragrances I was into was "genderless" 🙂

CALVIN KLEIN - ck one

still 100% at the top of my favorites list

still 100% at the top of my favorites list

Re: still 100% at the top of my favorites list

@1234ama modern classic!

Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • AtelierCologne_VanilleInsensee.PNG
  • CleanReserve_WarmCotton.PNG
  • GUCCI_Memoire.PNG
  • JoMaloneLondon_WoodSageSeaSalt.PNG
  • MaisonLouisMarie_No04BoisdeBalincourt.PNG
  • MaisonMargiela_REPLICAByTheFireplace.PNG
  • Image of Gucci Memoire d'une Odeur Eau de Parfum bottle against a black background.JPG
testing