cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Fragrance Advice Thread

Fragrance Thread.jpg

Does fragrance vernacular intimidate and confuse you? Can you list 5 “woodsy” perfumes off the top of your head? I know I am personally not that gifted but I also know there are many users on BeautyTalk who live for fragrance. So I’m starting this thread in the hope that it serves as a hub for the fragrance novices and scent savvy alike to come together to teach and learn about fragrance oils, perfumes, colognes, diffusers... You name it!

If you’re more of a novice to fragrance, don’t be shy! Comment below to share which fragrances or scents you tend to gravitate toward or any you aren’t sure about. You can also use this thread as a resource to find fragrances for others. I highly suggest trying out the new Fragrance Quiz to learn a bit more about your preferences: http://www.sephora.com/fragrance-quiz?

If you’re passionate about fragrance and perhaps even consider yourself an expert, I hope you will use this space to give suggestions and advice to users looking for it. Let’s help each other out!

Re: The Fragrance Advice Thread

Hi all! Reminder that Pinrose will be chatting live in about 30 minutes!

As usual, I will open the thread early at 11:30 am PST so everyone has time to sneak their questions in 🙂 

Follow this link to join the live chat: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Live-Chat-with-PINROSE/m-p/2784183

Hi all!

If anyone is seeking personalized fragrance advice or wants to learn more about the brand, Pinrose will be chatting live on BT this Thursday! The brand's Co-creators, Erika Shumate and Christine Luby, will be live on BT from 12-1 pm PST on 6/7 so mark your calendars!

Follow this link to ask a question: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Live-Chat-with-PINROSE/m-p/2784183

See you there 🙂 

Has anyone tried this Berdoues perfume?  It has the most adorable bottle ❤️

http://www.sephora.com/assam-india-P418118?skuId=1942937&icid2=scouted_051217_us_editors_top_picks_c...

upload_4512335874407654360.jpg

@Madeline7 I haven't tried anything from Berdoues but that bottle is adorable! I'll need to check it out 🙂 

Hey @KatieBT has anyone over at corporate ever thought about offering fragrance education classes at Sephora retail outlets like they offer makeup classes?  I bet it would go over well

Splendid idea!

@jozkid I love that idea!! I'll pass it along 🙂 

I would be so into that.

Me too!

I am not a perfume person, but I have recently started wearing Commodity Gold and Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Aqua. Both get me compliments at hug-level, which is where I want my fragrance to be. I just tried a sample of Josh Rosebrook's Ethereal, which is soft but a little bit grownup. It might go on the wishlist. 

@fairlywell

Hug-level, well put!  TF Neroli Portofino is what I wear always.  My young cousin once hugged me, then hugged me again even tighter.....and then commented "you smell sooo good".

"Hug-level" or "telling me State secrets in my ear" level, that is exactly where I like my perfume to be.

State secrets, yes! Although for some of us that seems to be an overly broad level of dispersion. 🤔

OH yay! Love this thread! Thank you so much, @KatieBT!! 😄

Fragrance is one thing that I absolutely love (and hoard). I have a feeling that all my travel sprays and full-size bottles can last through my 1-year-old's grandchildren. Oops.

There's not one specific group of fragrance that I like-- it totally depends on what I feel like right then and there. Some of my favorites are Maison Francis Kurkdjian A la rose, Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom and Honey, Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge and Champaca Absolute, and Diptyque Eau Duelle. Totally suck at describing notes, but I'm trying to learn! 🙂

I love perfumes but I have a lot to learn when it comes to identifying notes. I'm a fan of woody and spicy fragrances; I love ouds and incense. Can't wait to learn new things and share what I do know with everyone!

Yay! I love fragrance! 

I wish I could say I'm into complex, avant-garde fragrances. But, while I appreciate the artistic merit and such behind those fragrances, I don't want to walk around smelling like a pretty fireplace or sweat/sunscreen/tropical flowers (Maison Margiela...) all day, every day. 

So, inoffensive, light florals and fruity-florals for me. Maybe with freesia (a common note in many fragrances I like). Many of us fragrance enthusiasts here are obsessed with Commodity, and Commodity Mimosa is one of the loveliest scents in my opinion. Other than that, I usually rotate between Byredo Inflorescence, Tocca Bianca, Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia, and Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom and Honey. 

I wish I sounded more intelligent in throwing around all the fancy perfume terms. I wouldn't know an oud (sp?) if it bit me in the butt. 

As as for what I like, well I tend to florals, especially jasmine scents. Rose too. Unfortunately a lot of fragrances don't work well with my chemistry, though. And even when I find one that meshes with me, it tends not to last very long.

One I really miss is Ralph Lauren Safari. It smelled fabulous on me and the bottle was so elegant. Actually you can still get it but there was some component that they could no longer get the natural version of. And the synthetic version makes it just not the same. *sob*

Fun thread! I'm not a novice but far from expert; I know what I like. 😉 I'm into floral fragrances; during winter months I like florals with warm notes like Tom Ford Cafe Rose or Armani Prive Pivoine Suzhou. All other times I like jo Malone Peony Blush Seude and English pear and Freesia mixed together. I like my fragrance to last all day and these are the only ones that fit the bill... But I'd love to hear about others in this wheelhouse that last all day. I recently bought Commodity Rain and it's not very long lasting at all. 

I find Nest fragrances are very long lasting. You should try Nest Midnight Fleur if you never have.  It's a unique floral with a muskiness that's somehow fresh and dark/dusky at the same time. This one lasts all day and I don't have a ton of fragrances that do that.

Other florals that last all day for me are Fredric Malle Carnal Flower (priciest I own) and most Kilian.

@KatieBT Oh I LOVE this! I'm definitely a novice. I know what I like but I'm still figuring out what exact notes smell bad to me. I want to be able to whip out flower names like I do names of lipsticks LOL!

I've recently become fascinated (ok, obsessed) with base notes and single aroma chemicals (such as JHAG Not a Perfume which contains Ambroxan) and Iso E Super which is found in Escentric Molecules Molecule 01. I like wearing the single notes, they really evolve throughout the day. And I'm experimenting with layering them with my favorite scents. I'm actually getting better at smelling these basenotes in fragrances I already love. I'm like, hey! That's Iso E Super haha! It's my own private revelation and celebration 😂

My current fragrance routine is a lot of MMM Beach Walk, Philosophy's Summer Grace, Comptor Sud Vanille Coco, JHAG Not a Perfume and my longtime love Vanille Givree des Antilles (which Sephora used to carry but alas, no more. I got clearance bottles for $5 though so that was a major win!) I also have a lot of oil samples from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and I try at least one a week. 

I like a lot of heavy, woodsy, incense, Patchouli scents too. But living in So Cal, it's hard to get away with these in the hot weather. I look forward to cool, windy days when I can bathe in CDG Avignon and not get dirty looks. 

Looking forward to others sharing their fragrance knowledge. My next quest is to secure real Ambergris from NZ. Gonna cost a pretty penny and it's a risk to smell whale poo. You either love it or hate it and I just have to know!

Hey, another BPALer!  I was just sitting up the other night straightening out my collection and am about to place an order to fill some of the GC gaps.  And the imps are totally out of control!  But Beth is a genius, I can't stay away!

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • Fragrance Thread.jpg
  • upload_4512335874407654360.jpg
testing