Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Perfume Posse

Reaction to perfumes.. what do I do..

I've been getting these red bumps and peels on my neck for the last week or so and realized today that its the perfumes I've been spraying on my neck.. 

it stings ALOT no matter what I try to put on.. what should I do? 

Re: Reaction to perfumes.. what do I do..

Stop wearing it? 

I've read the perfumes are best sprayed where there is pulse.. so that's why I've been wearing it on my neck and wrist lately. 

and I was asking for help in what to do about the rashes, redness and peels.. 

Sorry to hear! Is it a new perfume? Maybe you are having a allergic reaction to a specific ingredient (based on what you wrote, this seems to have come on suddenly?).  Of course, ask a dermatologist.....but if you really want to wear perfume in the meantime, maybe you can spray your clothing instead of your skin? 

I've been obsessed with body shop's white musk for the last week and have been using it alternatively with chloe and vera wong simply pink ..

I don't know what to do about the rash, redness and just my skin been ripped off in general... 

Can you try an antibiotic cream to heal it? 

do you mean neosporin kind of ointments? 

haven't tried it Smiley Sad because I thought until today that it was just dryness from retnoid treatment.. 

but I will try them today Smiley Happy thank you

You said that you wear perfume on your neck and wrist. Do you also have rashes on your wrist? Or is it only on your neck? Try using hydrocortisone cream. It has anti-itch properties and can help stop the rash from getting worse. I love using it when I get random bug bites after being outdoors. It literally provides relief within a few minutes.

Thank you so much 

I actually only got it on my neck, not wrist or my arms Smiley Sad 

and this hasn't happened when I was using marc jacobs daisy Smiley Sad 

I do have hydrocortisone on hand so I will try it Smiley Happy 

I had to stop wearing perfume for the same reason.  I liked to spray it in the air and walk through it, but that just caused my face to get red, bumpy, then peel as it healed.  Smiley Sad  It took me several weeks to heal from it. Unfortunately I didn't find any cream or product to help it, so I kinda gave up and just let my body take care of it and it eventually cleared itself out.  I missed wearing my favorite scent (which is Alien, btw) so I found a better alternative, body wash and lotion from the same line!  I was so thrilled when I didn't react to it!  Hopefully your favorite scent carries it too and you don't react to it.  Smiley Happy

I take that back about not finding a cream to help (my allergic reaction happened a while ago).  I just remembered that CeraVe cream really helped calm it down.  Hope it gets better soon!

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

I actually never had this kind of reaction before Smiley Sad marc jacobs, dior, chloe were all fine 

just the body shop's white musk... I'll probably buy their body butter and use a complementing perfume that's not irritating Smiley Sad 

I normally don't use Cerave, is it similar to cetaphil? 

You're welcome Smiley Happy  I haven't tried Cetaphil, so I can't compare unfortunately.  My sister uses it and mentioned that it's a bit milder than Cerave.  

Spray if on the outside of your clothes if you really need to have that scent on you. 

You can also spray it in your hair! I've heard that the scent will last longer if it's on your hair. Smiley Happy

Thank you both Smiley Happy 

as soon as I get rid of the rashes and peels just in case Smiley Happy 

Oh gosh, I'd be careful with the recommendations to spray on clothes and hair. If you're having an allergic reaction on your neck, you can still get an allergic reaction anywhere where the perfume comes into contact with your skin. So if you spray in your hair, you can get an irritated scalp, and whereever your clothes come into contact with your skin also have the possibility to irritate your skin. 

Try to avoid putting lots of random creams on the site, so your skin can heal (Yes, that includes random remedies that have been found on google). If anything, maybe put something super gentle like a eucerin or skin cream intended for ezcema/the most sensitive of skin.

I'm sorry Smiley Sad I hope your skin heals soon.

Thank you so much T_T 

I've never had such a reaction to a perfume before Smiley Sad and was clueless about what to do about it Smiley Sad 

I'm so glad there are so many wonderful people here at BT to ask for help 

I suggest getting the matching body lotion it comes with and using that on your skin and the perfume on your clothes or undershirt... and maybe hair if it's not too strong with alcohol..

Thank you for the suggestions Smiley Happy 

is alcohol bad for your hair? 

I think the first ingredient on here is alcohol.. and I've been spraying them on my hair too..

I'm so sorry this happened to you! It sounds like you've got a case of allergic contact dermatitis. You are allergic to something in one of the 3 perfumes, but it would be hard to say which. You can not have a reaction to something when you first use it, and then wham - regular use causes sensitivity.  Sunlight can also cause some substances to trigger an allergic reaction. If it itches, consider taking a antihistimne, like benadryl.  I would recommend you use a hydrocortisone cream or ointment to combat the inflammation and to keep the skin moist.  If it is not better in 3 days, see your doctor about getting a prescription corticosteroid cream.  I hope it gets better quick!

Thank you for the suggestions! they're super helpful! 

I haven't had a reaction to any perfumes before I started adding the body shop white musk Smiley Sad 

I will try both antihistimne and hydrocortisone! its been swelling up and I was going to put a hydocortisone this morning but couldn't find it and just ended up using some oil on it.. 

You are so welcome! I have suffered allergic reactions to certain fragrances since I was kid (remember Mr. Bubbles bubble bath? It was my nemesis!) and always have to be careful when I try a new perfume or even a new laundry detergent.  The most important thing you should put on it is a steriod cream, like hydrocortisone.   It will block your cells from releasing inflammation-causing chemicals (triggered by the allergen).  Once the inflammation is under control, then you can use a cream like aquaphor or utterly smooth to keep your skin moist while it heals.  And seriously, if it isn't better in a couple days I would go see the doctor about getting a prescription strength steriod cream, particularly since it has been swelling.  

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

I'm currently dealing with contact dermatitis on my lips, and hydrocortisone cream is amazing.  Took the swelling down almost immediately, and the peeling has finally stopped after a month.  My allergist's nurse practitioner recommended Vanicream for dryness, which also helped a fair bit.  Hopefully this gets better asap, I feel your pain!

Thank you for sharing Smiley Happy 

I really wasn't expecting any of this kind of reaction.. so I just didn't know what to do Smiley Sad 

I first even thought it was from lack of sleep .. 

38 Replies
Conversation Stats