Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Perfume Posse

Please Read This before you talk about perfumes and "Body Chemistry"

I literally cannot stand when people talk about how perfumes react with their "body chemistry." This is a myth. You can search anywhere that this is a myth. You are not such a special butterfly that your "chemistry" will react with a perfume and make it smell different. It's not your "chemistry," it's *gasp* personal. taste.

In 1921, Coco Chanel was introduced. Chanel was, and still to this day is, a brand in high regard. But in the 1920's, Coco got SO POPULAR that almost everybody seemed to be wearing it. Because Chanel wanted to keep some of it's mystique, they made up the "body chemistry" myth in order to entice customers, to convince them that the scent they smelled on everyone wouldn't smell the same on them so they should still buy it. 

Is it entirely false? No, there are very very very minute differences on how perfumes may react on certain people. Is it noticeable by the everyday nose? NO.  Please look it up before you review perfumes and how it didn't react well with "your body chemistry." Just say you didn't like it. 

Re: Please Read This before you talk about perfumes and "Body Chemistry"

Fragrance can smell different on different people due to myriad factors; I wouldn't say this is a myth. We all have different skin compositions due to hormonal balances, diet, medication, fatty acids, stress, sweat etc. -- this can alter pH levels and can affect the skin's natural scent. Any or all of these factors can change how molecules bind to it, and how quickly or slowly they evaporate -- and because of this, different components (or notes) may be more prominent on one person, while other notes tend to stand out on a another. Does this mean that one fragrance smells so different as to be unidentifiable between people? Maybe not -- but it can definitely smell different, and those differences are detectable. I don't even have a trained nose, but I have noted that fragrances smell different on myself than on someone else (the vanilla seemed to pull stronger than other notes, etc.).

Re: the reviews, I'm sure in some cases, the person just didn't like it and blames body chemistry, sure, but this may not always be true. We don't all smell the same, which is why fragrance doesn't always smell the same on us.

Yes, I have a hormonal issue, and once I started getting it treated, almost all perfumes started to smell disgusting on me, and even smell like literal garbage.

I notice that a lot of fragrances I dislike in the bottle I end up liking after I wear them. I don't buy a lot of perfume but I like to try samples I get with orders and such, they most always turn sweeter on me. When I bought makeup at the Chanel counter a few months ago she gave me some Chanel Chance samples, I thought it was okay when I first sprayed the perfume but then loved it as the day went on as it turned sweeter. I wondered if I was indeed a little crazy haha.

It also depends on what kind of perfume you're talking about - perfumes with alcohol fixatives (like most spray perfumes,) I largely agree with you.

Oil perfumes, though, do react with personal pH, hormones, diets, skin oil levels, how recently you bathed, and other products used. I can put on an oil perfume and have six people smell it and have them describe it and generally get the same description - put that same perfume on my spouse and those same six people give a different description. There are things that smell like rotting eggs on my skin (one of the worst offenders smells wonderful on a friend of mine and she agrees it smells like rotting eggs on me) - you can't tell me that's "personal preference."

I'm not a trained person on the why's and how's, when it comes to things like this, but I will say that my aunt has a problem with this. I go perfume shopping with her all the time and she can never find a scent. We'll smell something in a bottle and it will smell amazing in the bottle and she'll spray it on her wrist and walk around for 5 minutes and then it smells disgusting. It's the weirdest thing. Then I'll spray it on myself and walk around for a few minutes and it smells just as amazing as it does in the bottle. 

I appreciate your impassioned stance, but I respectfully disagree. It has less to do with your special butterflyness and more to do with the food you eat, any medications you may be on, and your skin's natural oiliness. Are you denying that people hav different B.O.? Some people don't have an overpowering natural odor and some people you can tell they had a garlicky meal from a mile away. Heck, even the scent of your urine can change from day to day based on how much asparagus you had with lunch!

this also explains why you may love a perfume one day and when you wear it a month later it had somehow changed. Most likely your diet changed and therefore the way the perfume smells on you is different. 

Perhaps pe you would prefer if people give a little descriptor of their eating habits and meds when using the body chemistry excuse for disliking a perfume: "I didn't like Marc Jacobs Honey on me. I love to eat Middle Eastern food with tons of spice and I am on immunomodulators. HTH!" On second thought, I think body chemistry is more succinct. 

I agree completely.  Everyone does have a natural scent depending on lifestyle.

I completely agree. You are what you eat.  Everyone has a natural scent to them. Ever notice some guys don't wear cologne and you think they smell amazing, that's just theM. Then there are some guys where you're like omg please change deodorants and put on some cologne.  There are also certain perfumes I love and then a coworker will wear it and it smells completely different from the bottle 

It's definitely not a myth that fragrances can smell different from person to person.  I think Katie, Ladymeag, and LCResz covered the hows and whys quite well.

I also think it's worth pointing out that science in 1921 wasn't then what it is today.  Chanel may have thought she "made up" body chemistry, but she turned out to be quite accurate really.

I kindly disagree. I'm very picky about my scents, so usually it'll smell even better on me then in the bottle.The smell changes from when it's in the bottle to when it's on my skin. So I would say it's my chemistry, not my *gasp* personal taste. If my personal taste could change the way things smell, then farts would smell like roses, for example.

Lol yup. There have been many times where I found a perfume to smell much better on than in the bottle. Or why is it that it may smell better on someone else than you. It's not because of personal taste lol.  It reacts differently without everyone's skin. 

I'm not disagreeing with the whole personal chemistry thing, but couldn't the reason your perfume smells better on you than in the bottle be because the alcohol base/solvent has evaporated? Normally the solvent is what makes perfumes smell gross to me in the bottle.

That's very possible. I guess it's probably a combination of several things/factors in the end?

Yes, the solvent will affect the smell of a perfume in the bottle. That's why when you spray it it's best to wait a bit for the alcohol to evaporate before you sniff. I've worked in fragrance and it's amazing how many people spray and sniff with no waiting time, then complain that the perfume is no good.

my farts DO smell like roses, ijs. 

farts.png

I_Fart_In_Your_General_Direction_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Mine smell like glitter. Smiley Very Happy

OMG ARE YOU A UNICORN?!?!

Shhhh. Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

Cookie2.jpg

Is that unicorn poop?  Hurrah!  We served unicorn poop at my goddaughter's 8th birthday.  Needless to say, she was thrilled.  Unicorn poop=magic.

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • Cookie2.jpg
  • images (7).jpg
  • farts.png
  • I_Fart_In_Your_General_Direction_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg
  • upload_4184476285984549823.gif