Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Nirvana Black alternatives? Suggestions?

So I've been infatuated with Nirvana Black by Elizabeth and James since I first met her. I held off on buying it until fall/winter came around, and now it seems like it's being discontinued for the moment. Does anyone have suggestions for similar perfumes that I might like? I looove sandalwood and other warm and inviting scents, but I'd also like the scent to be not too strong or sexy so that I can get away with wearing it everyday.
Nirvana black description: The woodsy and warm sandalwood is nicely complimented by the fresh violet opening and warm vanilla.
It is similar in some ways to Tom Ford Black Orchid, but less complex, gentler, & sweeter. 

Thanks! ❤️ 

Re: Nirvana Black alternatives? Suggestions?

I'm obsessed with it too y'all!! The closest thing I have found to it is 7 Virtues Santal Vanille!!!! I wore 1 on each arm and the 7 Virtues is just slightly greener and softer vanilla. Still musky Sandalwood goodness! 

I was fortunate to find two 50 ml bottles today at my local Sephora store..luckily it's also 4x points for fragrances right now.  It's my daughter's favourite so she was thrilled! 

I suggest for those still looking for it to call your stores to see if they have any left. 

There was one day I was trying to decide which of these four fragrances, all similar, I liked best: E&J Black, Nest Black Tulip, Tom Ford Black Orchid, and YSL Black Opium.  For everyday wear, not overwhelming, I think your best alternative is the Black Opium.  It's a bit sweeter than the E&J but close, and now there are so many versions of it you're likely to find one that's just right.  Give the original a try first though. You might also try Tom Ford's Velvet Orchid which is similar to Black Orchid but much better for daytime wear.  Good luck! 🙂

RE: Nirvana Black alternatives? Suggestions?

Is it really discontinued?

Re: RE: Nirvana Black alternatives? Suggestions?

@LaYakiit's for sure discontinued from Sephora which a staff member confirmed on BIC. I would get back ups if it's really important to you. Perfume is basically mostly alcohol and won't go off if you store it properly.

WAIT WHAT I love all of the elizabeth and james perfumes. When are they being discontinued? 

@savyshoppergal  - They're gone now.  That's why people are in a panic trying to find that one more bottle.

@skincarelauren

SJP Stash would be right up your alley! It's a similar deep, smoky, warm, spicy scent. Available at Ulta (not sure where else, though surely somewhere else) 

Fragrance Notes:

• Top - Grapefruit zest, black pepper, sage
  • Heart - Cedarwood atlas, patchouli, ginger lily, pistachio
  • Base - Olibanum, massoia wood, vetiver, musk

ulta stash 1.png

Some sandalwood fragrances that might fit the bill and you can wear daily are

• CdG Concrete, a modern and unexpectedly smooth sandalwood. Its warmth comes out in the dry down. It’s a cooler interpretation

• Diptyque Tam Dao is a best-selling, spicier take

• Jo Malone’s & Sandalwood is worth trying. It’ll be different but it’s by the same nose as NB

• Le Labo Santal 33 opens up totally differently than NB, with a leather accord. It dries down into something fluffy and amorphous. I’m not a fan and find it pricey but people love this one

• Kilian’s Sacred Wood is also $$ but you might like it. It has this anise- sort of opening, and a paleness to it. If you like the pale cucumberness of Black Orchid give it a try although these two smell nothing alike.

Two people on Fragrantica say NB reminds them of Avon’s Sandalwood so maybe try that?

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
  • ulta stash 1.png
testing