Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

I Want To Buy A Byredo or Malle Type Scent

My cabinets are brimming with vintage granny scents and drugstore celebrity. I have recently been wearing designer fragrances with some success so I’ve decided to make the jump.

I’d like to try a Byredo or Malle type scent. Any suggestions on niche or designer perfume I could buy at Sephora or Ulta that have that coffee shop world traveler designer week cool? My Sephora sells MOSCHINO - MOSCHINO TOY 2

and TOM FORD Eau de Soleil Blanc Eau de Toilette Fragrance 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

Re: I Want To Buy A Byredo or Malle Type Scent

@howconnie  Have you checked out the Atelier cologne line? Sephora focuses on their citrusy scents, but they have a host of other styles. Maybe the Santal Carmin, Cafe Tuberosa, or Bois Blonds? If you can’t find them to smell in Sephora, I believe Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus carry them to try out before ordering from Sephora.

Santal Carmen sounds interesting. Thanks 

@snoflakefaerie @howconnie Cafe Tuberosa is very much a cafe scent!! Very urban 🙂

Nice

@howconnieI PM'd you in case this gets deleted again. Sorry I don't have the heart to type everything out again!! 

• Moschino Toy, this does not smell niche.
  • TF Soleil B, more beach than cafe. Take note TF is not an "understated" house
  • Malle, I'd suggest Angeliques Sous La Pluie tho more like a gin and tonic than cafe beverage. You might like Le Parfum de Therese.
  • Byredo, the most popular/easy ones are Bal d'Afrique and Gypsy Water. I find this house a bit overpriced
  • Le Labo, my suggestion to you for that breezy cafe travel vibe is Santal 33. I think this house is worth checking out. It's the house that came to mind reading your descriptions
  • Hermes, not niche but Gallop is elegant and unique

@howconnie @pocketvenus  - I second Byredo Bal d'Afrique & Gypsy Water for her.

Good recommendations for what she is seeking.

@pocketvenus your post was removed before I could read it

@howconnieomg! It took me forever to think of suggestions and type that all out!!!! 😞 It was paragraphs long - I gave my impressions of each house, suggested fragrances from the houses you're interested in, suggested fragrances from other houses that you might like........... What happened??? Can it be restored? @JaneanBT 

Aww man, sounds incredible. Thanks for trying.

@howconnieof course, anytime! I'm kind of scared to type it out again if it's just going to get removed. I didn't get a mod note with an explanation either...

Thanks for the detailed comment.

I have been hearing about Santal 33, it’s alll the rage right now. I have Elizabeth and James Bourbon Vanilla And Carolina Herrera Good Girl Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

is it similar to those? Labos Santal 33 isn’t readily available do you know of a designer fragrance that might work? 

I thought Toy 2 smelled a lot like Blanche by byredo. I preferred both of those to Chanel Les Beige. All three of these gave me an understated coffee shop vibe. I could afford Moschino or Chanel but not byredo. Of the two I found Toy 2 more similar.

gallop sounds nice too, I like this one HERMÈS Un Jardin sur le Nil Eau de Toilette 3.3 oz/ 98 mL

@howconnie 

Yes, Santal is really popular! I wouldn’t say it’s like the E&J or Herrera. On my skin it’s like a dusty leather and then it sort of collapses on me into generic soft sandalwood. But I find the house does not work well with my skin. A cheaper and more accessible alternative is Concrete by Comme des Garcons.

The Jardin series is great, Hermes is a pretty solid house!

To be really honest, Blanche doesn't smell niche to me. Byredo definitely has some solid and interesting scents, it’s just a little hit and miss with them with more misses as of late. If feel the house lacks creative direction. I’m able to describe most houses well but can’t think of a way to sum up Byredo scents.

I guess it really depends on what we think of when we say niche because it’s such an overused term! And you might have a totally different idea of what counts as niche 🙂 Also, I don’t want to imply niche is better. I have smelled a lot of truly awful niche scents. And there are definitely designer scents I like ❤️

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing