Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

How much perfume do you wear?

This question is prompted by a recent situation where a woman sitting next to me was wearing so much fragrance it was making it hard to breathe.  I wondered how much she was wearing to make it so stifling.

So I was just wondering when you apply perfume, how much do you apply?  I'll usually squirt one squirt on either side of my neck, and then gently rub my inner wrists on the area and swipe it upwards to the backs of my ears.  If it's a really strong scent, though, I'll sometimes find that even that is too much, and I'll go with a single squirt, sometimes even spraying it into the air rather than on my skin so that it's less concentrated.

I will sometimes ask my husband if my perfume is too strong, and he always says no.  I wish I could be able to tell myself, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to gauge how strong a scent comes across to other people in the room.  

Re: How much perfume do you wear?

I worked in restaurants for so long in college and grad school that I'm still not used to wearing perfume! I prefer a rollerball (Burberry Brit Sheer and Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb are my favorites) for a more controlled application: one swipe behind each ear, and a dab on the wrists. 

If it is a strong fragrance: 1 to back of neck and 1 to chest, for a total of 2 sprays.

If it is a softer fragrance: 1 solar plexus, 1 chest, and 1 to each side of the back of my neck for a total of 4 sprays.

I usually put perfume before going to bed. One spray on my left wrist and rub my right wrist over the left one before it dries. I have a skin pH that doesn’t degrade fragrances quickly.

One or two sprays onto my clothes. @IciclePop

I only use 2 quick sprays and I don't spray close to my body.

I spray each side of my neck and both wrists. After reading this I am wondering if I overdo it because I don't normally get any comments of being over scented. Maybe I just don't have a good smeller lol. I am one of those people who also likes when they can smell perfume on someone else!

I generally just use a rollerball to apply a small amount to my

wrists, and then I’ll dab my wrists onto my neck. I don’t wear it to places were I could easily offend someone with my scent like the grocery store, public transit, public

health spaces, etc.

There are also very few perfumes that I enjoy, I prefer essential oils because they smell more natural to me, although I have to be really mindful of thoes because they have precautions and such. 

I only do one spray, on the back of my neck. I swear it lasts the longest there. If you wear perfumes that are strong in general you could spray it in the air and walk through it 🙂

@IciclePop Usually one on my neck and one on the wrists that I rub together. I had a coworker once who wore so much perfume and of course it was the worst scent imaginable. I can only describe it as “baby poop.” She sat in the cubicle on the other side of me and some days I would literally gag as it wafted over. She would leave a trail of scent wherever she went and it was just horrible. I wish I could remember what perfume it was; I do know that it wasn’t cheap though because one time I got a sample of it in my order from Sephora. I remember twisting it open, taking one sniff and screaming! 😄

@IciclePop,

I just apply one spritz on the front part of my upper chest or I use my roller ball and apply it on my wrists:)

❤️ Melissa

Good question, @IciclePop!  I wear three spritzes.  I was happy to read that other posters used 2, b/c I was wondering if I was over-doing it.  

I also have a family history of wearing too much fragrance.  A co-worker of my mom's in the 80s once wrote to Anne Landers complaining about my mom wearing too much cologne.  She was in her Shalimar phase.  My mom's answer?  She started wearing more!

Image result for perfume gif

Turned out I applied perfume the same way most ppl do on the thread 😉 (What a relief ;)) When I was younger, I tend to be drawn to stronger perfume. Now that’s I’m older, I like lighter scents.

Given people's sensitivities, perfume is definitely a no-no for hospitals or going to the theatre or anywhere where people are seated together.

I prefer to dab rather than spray if I'm going to be interacting with strangers or people I don't know well as that seems to reduce projection. This method of application probably uses less product as well. If I have a spray, I might spray into the air and walk underneath. If I'm testing a fragrance though, I'll apply to my wrists and try not to do that when I have to be in a closed off space. I try to do it while shopping as there's a lot of air circulation and no one is stuck beside me.

I only really feel free to spray perfume when I'm going out clubbing. If someone doesn't like it, it's very easy for them to get away from me without causing them much inconvenience. I'll spray my hair and neck.

Otherwise, I figure it's better to err on the side of caution out of consideration for others. Because of this, I often find myself enjoying perfume in private, especially strong perfumes, chypres and scents that people might not like. I must admit though, I really love it when someone walks past me and I can recognize what they're wearing!

I'm going to start over dosing it when I go to the movies so no one sits by me. Bwahahaha thanks for the idea 🙂

LOL @Samtian!!! When I am going out at night, I sometimes like to wear scents with a lot of galbanum. They make me feel like I'm wearing armour or carrying a knife. It's such a sharp note.

How much perfume do you wear?

Generally one to lower chest, one to upper chest, and one to each side of the back of my neck for a total of four. If the fragrance is an Extrait de Parfum or a powerhouse I will spray one to the lower chest and one to the back of my neck.

I try to be mindful, but I usually spray on each side of the neck. And I will throw in my wrists if it is a lighter scent. However, it is trial and error when I find a fragrance is really strong. I received a sample of Le Labo Santal 33 and I did my usual two sprays, but my sister said it was suffocating her to sit next to me! Oops!

I find that it is fascinating that in the Middle East, it is customary to drench yourself in perfume so that you can leave a lasting impression in the cloud of scent you leave behind. I never got quite used to that when I spent time in Kuwait. 

@IciclePop I wear Viktor and Rolf’s Flowerbomb and use one spray. I kind of spray into the air near my chest and walk into it. If I’m wearing a lighter fragrance or one that isn’t as long lasting I will do two sprays. It also depends where I am going though. I try to be mindful of those who are sensitive and avoid wearing it in obvious places like hospitals etc. One of my family members is allergic to certain scents to the point they have difficulty breathing and lose their voice so it’s frustrating when some people aren’t considerate and overdo it (which it sounds like this woman you mentioned did). Great question and I look forward to hearing what others say 🙂

Oh that's a good point about the hospital.  When I ride on the ambulance I make a point to never wear perfume, because if you have a patient that's having trouble breathing, the last thing you want to do is contribute to the problem!  

19 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing