Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Growing Up

My first perfume at 13 was Davidoff cool water and the light blue bottle of RALPH. In high school I went through a sweet scent phase, I believe it was pink sugar. Now most of my fragrances have notes of bergamot, rose, vetiver, sambac and surprisingly OUD!!!!!!! OUD reminds me of a geriatric lady from church that carried mints and chocolate in her purse, that always had a bread crumb on her lip. Oops I just described my grandma! Now I like only a small note of it in my fragrance. OMG am I geriatric now? How have your fragrances matured over time? Do you remember your first scent?

Re: Growing Up

I'm a serial monogamist with perfumes. There are brief periods in between where I date a lot, but none of those ever mean anything to me the way these do.

My first love, I'm sure long discontinued by now, was Borghese's Il Bacio for most of my tweens/teens... it probably smells like the 90s in a bottle now but I was obsessed with it as soon as I saw the bottle in an ad. After a few years of drifting in my 20s I found Chanel Chance right after it launched and that became my signature scent for almost 12 years... original in fall and winter, eau fraiche in spring and summer. 

About a year ago it suddenly lost its appeal for me and I drifted again until a sample of Sueded Oud came in my first Play! box... that got me excited about fragrance again and I spritzed and tested until settling down with Atelier Cologne... Santal Carmin in fall and winter (for now, anyway) and Blanche Immortelle in spring and summer.

PhotoGrid_1517648766960.png

@fieldsofclover santal anything ❤

@fieldsofclover santal anything ❤

My first scents that I wore religiously were Amarige and Ralph Lauren's Safari. I often wonder if I would still like them now.

Now, I've moved on to Flowerbomb. Addicted to it.

I LOVED Safari, and was so sad when they discontinued it. A few years ago they brought it back and I bought some just to see what it was like. I still like it, but don't love it the way I used to. My favourite is now Bottega Veneta which has some of the same characteristics as Safari, but isn't quite as aggressive. Every time I wear it, and if someone gives me a hug, they always comment on how nice it is.

I'll have to check it out. 
I did see a few weeks back that Safari was still around. Thought about buying a bottle but passed for now. Bottega Veneta  sounds lovely.

Me having Cool Water flashbacks:

Related imageYou're not geriatric, you're mature and sophisticated! I think my first perfume was from Avon, possibly Pearls & Lace.  I remember my sister loved Odyssey lol.  I would sneak sprays of my mom's Windsong because I thought it was the fanciest perfume out there.  I think my scents tastes have mellowed out a bit.  I always hated sweet scents but lately I've been more and more attracted to vanillas and caramels.  

@michelleshops what vanilla caramel scent are you enjoyin...

@michelleshops what vanilla caramel scent are you enjoying these days?

Re: @michelleshops what vanilla caramel scent are you enjoyin...

I'm loving KVD Saint and Pinrose Secret Genius but fragrances turn a little sweet on me (not complaining!) so milage may vary!  I wish Saint lasted a bit longer on me but I'm so glad she brought them back!

My first scent was Calvin Klein's CK One. 

Then it was Eternity, which honestly, was too mature for me at the time, and I hate it now.

I went through the Ralph Lauren Ralph (blue bottle original) phase, which I still really like and it takes me back to my time in Germany (which I love for that reason).

Then I got on the Escada kick, with Magnetism, which I still freaking love even though it reminds me of being in St. Louis with my ex-boyfriend (that did not end well, but we had fun).

During my partying phase, I smelled Love Spell on someone, and I had to have it.  That didn't last long.  I hate body sprays now.

I didn't wear perfume or any type of body scent for about 5 years.  I just relied on whatever scented lotion or my body wash to just enhance my natural pheromones.

Now I'm on a Jo Malone kick, and enjoy the fact that the scents are more subdued because I can allow my natural scent to peak through.

The journey is the best part of everything!

@modernwarpaint poetic. I will def try to get a sample. M...

@modernwarpaint poetic. I will def try to get a sample. May have to check out department store My local sephora doesn't carry the jo Malone line.

Re: @modernwarpaint poetic. I will def try to get a sample. M...

My local Dillard's has a counter, and I have also seen a counter at Neiman Marcus. 

I still like cK One 🙂

@modernwarpaint

Me too. 🙂  I bought a cute mini size one just for the nostalgia. 

@modernwarpaint I never had love spell. But the CK and Es...

@modernwarpaint I never had love spell. But the CK and Escada scent journey very similar. I am trying to get my hands on jo malone scents. Which are you wearing recently?

Re: @modernwarpaint I never had love spell. But the CK and Es...

@sunshine202 - I have been using Jo Malone's Wood Sage & Sea Salt.  It's such a beautiful scent.  I'd say unisex.  It smells woodsy, with a hint of spiciness, and touch of sea salt.  It takes me to a place I've never been before, which is odd for me, because most scents smell like a memory or 'take me back'.  I imagine sitting on a piece of old driftwood on a foggy, overcast morning along a beach in Oregon... with the grey, smooth stones touching my feet.  lmao!  Definitely get a sample when you get a chance.  Lasting power is not that long, it's a more intimate scent.  It's peaceful.

RE: Growing Up

what a interesting tread ! of course perfume taste change over time , would you wear the same clothes as 10 years ago? what was defining yourself at that moment is , I hope, not the same . what you thought was feminine etc it’s all related to your psyche as smell triggers incoucsious memories my first perfume was hypnotic poison from dior and I would never ever be able to wear that again, my new one is sunny side up from juliette has a gun or midnight poison by dior

Dior hypnotic, interesting choice. I hope you don't mind...

Dior hypnotic, interesting choice. I hope you don't mind me asking: how old were when you had that? (for a first perfume seems mature) I do wear my alma mater sweatshirts from 10 yrs ago actually. 😂 Still in pretty good condition but only worn for quick errands and lazy Sunday afternoons.

RE: Dior hypnotic, interesting choice. I hope you don't mind...

I was wearing Hypnotic when I was 20 , it was my first perfume , I remember going to The Bay , the lady there asked me what I like the most and my answer was desert, cakes , chocolat , vanilla ice cream ,.... so she gave me hypnotic 😉 and I instantly loved it so much and for 7 years it was my one perfume

I was allergic to everything scented when I was a kid, ev...

I was allergic to everything scented when I was a kid, even laundry soap. the body spray line from Walmart that smelled like candy was the only thing I wasn't allergic to, so cotton can't was my fist scent. my allergies let up a bit as I got older so I tried more body spray, but I didn't get my first real perfume tell I was in collage and it was Victoria secrets dark angel, still my fave. eventually I realized I could wear stronger stuff if I sprayed my clothes and hair, instead of directly spraying my skin.

If you don't mind me asking/responding. What type of reac...

If you don't mind me asking/responding. What type of reaction did you get?
28 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 62 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos1
  • PhotoGrid_1517648766960.png
testing